SPD or Flat

phildavis
phildavis Posts: 164
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I have tried both PSD and flatties and have found both have good and bad points but is there anything that gives the power transfer and stability of SPD and the freedom, ie on sketchy bits, of flatties?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    5:10s
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • phildavis
    phildavis Posts: 164
    5:10's ?
  • snips50
    snips50 Posts: 58
    try these mate.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18195

I use them with flats and they are the dog's dangles!
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I just got some Wellgo MG1's and they are great, I replaced my SPD's with them and I feel a bit slower uphill, but not noticeably, and much more confident on fast downhills and in the air. I tried them with a pair of 5 10's and they made a huge difference, but I can't really be bothered to spend £60-70 on a pair of shoes.

BTW, I used both grey MG1's and white ones and I felt the grey ones were grippier, It probably was my imagination though :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    5.10's and some good grippy pedals, aor spd's with really loose release tention and multi release cleats.

flats would be better option.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • ESHER SHORE
    ESHER SHORE Posts: 818
    I've spent months riding Shimano SPDs pedals with suitable shoes (Oakley Radar Locks) on my All-Mountain (6x6) bike and something was really lacking from my riding - fun?

I just got a new pair of 5-10 Sam Hill shoes, and some Wellgo MG-1 flat pedals, and installed these onto my All-Mtn bike

I have not have as much fun in ages, going much quicker down the hills, going faster UP the hills (as you have to work harder by being more aggressive, rather than dropping down the gears, sitting and spinning as with SPDs)

highly recommended!!
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com