who wasn't a regular prolific big winner...but you remember in a good way

name em and why..the race (s)

my pick

Eduardo Chozas

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
  • Fondriest.

One of the classiest riders ever on 2 wheels, and a nice guy to boot.

Seconded by Chris Boardman for some reason that i can't quite put my finger on.
  • dave_1
    Fondriest.

these guys were really high profile.,,any forgotten, unfairly.
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    Fondriest.

That'll learn me to read proper.

Eric Van Lancker, saw him in the Milk race and always thought he would go on to do more, sadly not. Also Pello Ruiz Cabestany (sp) promised more than he delivered and always attacking.
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Fondriest.

That'll learn me to read proper.

Eric Van Lancker, saw him in the Milk race and always thought he would go on to do more, sadly not. Also Pello Ruiz Cabestany (sp) promised more than he delivered and always attacking.

Sus
    Van lanker, what a great and just choice!....pretty sure he won Liege Bastogne Liege and Amstel at Panasonic back to back 1989-1990 or two big classics back to back...he was really good ...and a forgotten rider, won the 1985 Milk Race. Met EVL in Alps at 1986 TDF, friendly...far from Hinault's chest beating on the podium and pushing fans-one Brit from our bus via a collar grab and pushed the bloke backward toward the barrier, right below the podium at Nevers-Bontempi won the stage, I never liked BH after that much as he just looked very aggressive and my friend had hardly touched him. I was 16 at the time, I digress..sorry
  • I sometimes wake in the middle of the night and think 'I wonder what happened to Yvan Frebert'?

Ronan Pensec - for a few days in 1990 looked like he might win the Tour de France, then faded back into relative obscurity.

Bruno Cornillet - French climber who never quite made it.

Roberto Conti - knocked off by small dog in Wincanton Classic, went on to have first pro win (of only 2) on Alpe D'Huez.

Phillipe Bouvatier - forgotten man of Robert Millar's 'wrong way' stage loss to Massimo Ghirotto at Guzet Neige in 1988.
  • dave_1
    I sometimes wake in the middle of the night and think 'I wonder what happened to Yvan Frebert'?

Ronan Pensec - for a few days in 1990 looked like he might win the Tour de France, then faded back into relative obscurity.

Roberto Conti - knocked off by small dog in Wincanton Classic, went on to have first pro win (of only 2) on Alpe D'Huez.

Phillipe Bouvatier - forgotten man of Robert Millar's 'wrong way' stage loss to Massimo Ghirotto at Guzet Neige in 1988.

I have a pic of Yvan Frebert, blonde hair-dyed peroxide, on RMs team in 1985 on tourmalet at 85 TDF. Conti..hmmm...Bouvattier would never have won the day in 1988..it was gottheteeshirt2 who had it I think...but
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,566

Blimey, I was thinking about that the other day, but wasn't sure if I'd just imagined it and couldn't remember where it was or even if it was Millar and not someone else. Cheers, now I've found it ion Youtube and it's exactly how I remembered. Not senile yet after all :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3vgUdUkQVQ
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dave_1

Blimey, I was thinking about that the other day, but wasn't sure if I'd just imagined it and couldn't remember where it was or even if it was Millar and not someone else. Cheers, now I've found it ion Youtube and it's exactly how I remembered. Not senile yet after all :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3vgUdUkQVQ

I think gottheteeshirt lost his 4th TDF stage win there...painful to look at still...the best races and what a mistake
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Jesper Skibby. Probably just because I moved to Denmark, but he always worked his arse off and used to come out with some funny stuff. Doped to the eyeballs of course, as he later admitted in his autobiography.
  • dave_1
    Jesper Skibby. Probably just because I moved to Denmark, but he always worked his ars* off and used to come out with some funny stuff. Doped to the eyeballs of course, as he later admitted in his autobiography.

his fall changed the Tour of Flander route for sure....but he went off the front quite a bit I remember, was have a go kinda racer.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Jesper Skibby. Probably just because I moved to Denmark, but he always worked his ars* off and used to come out with some funny stuff. Doped to the eyeballs of course, as he later admitted in his autobiography.

his fall changed the Tour of Flander route for sure....but he went off the front quite a bit I remember, was have a go kinda racer.

Yeah, he liked to stay out all day, had a lot of bottle. Don't think he spent a lot of time calculating his wattage, just went for it :-)
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Jacky Durand for mine. "I don't mind not winning, I mind not trying"

Or on a more obscure note, Hubert Arbes(former Hinault domestique, owns a bike shop in Lourdes now)
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    I sometimes wake in the middle of the night and think 'I wonder what happened to Yvan Frebert'?

I have a pic of Yvan Frebert, blonde hair-dyed peroxide, on RMs team in 1985 on tourmalet at 85 TDF. Conti..hmmm...Bouvattier would never have won the day in 1988..it was gottheteeshirt2 who had it I think...but

Looking at the clip now, it's noticeable how close RM got even after the trip to the car park and losing a few lengths to Bouvatier initially. 'Boo-Boo' led up most of the final climb as I recall it - seems like only yesterday in many ways!
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:

Looking at the clip now, it's noticeable how close RM got even after the trip to the car park and losing a few lengths to Bouvatier initially. 'Boo-Boo' led up most of the final climb as I recall it - seems like only yesterday in many ways!

it looked liked Millar not seen all the finish.. A sad day..mountain stage wins are a bit special, it isn't 1 stage equals any other...for me long TTs and summit finishes get near classic status
  • Joey Mclaughlin - great wee rider in the Kelloggs criterium. One or two decent results as a continental pro
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Guido Bontempi - Powerhouse sprinter and looked classy on a bike just like the most classiest rider of them all Maurizio Fondriest
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I don't know his full name but Perez Cuapio, the way he climbed the Furcia in the 06 Giro still in his rain cape was crackin'
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    Phil Anderson And Claudio Chiappucci..
    I was 14 or 15 watching the tour in 90-91 and these 2 just stood out me, Chiappucci coming from nowhere and totally blowing the tour apart..
    Anderson for being one of the english speakers who i followed and seeing him lead the tour of britain through my home town, i've since grown to like him more.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I don't know his full name but Perez Cuapio, the way he climbed the Furcia in the 06 Giro still in his rain cape was crackin'

Sounded interesting so I looked it up on YT. Pretty good viewing. The list of riders he is riding with is quite funny...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agInhi-m4R8

At 3.17 there is a banner for Sella :lol:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Was always partial to Rolf Sorensson as well, seemed to not win much but i think he was half decent.
  • dave_1
    Was always partial to Rolf Sorensson as well, always seemed to be the nearly man.

good call, great cyclist. World Cup Winner 1996?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Boogerd. :D
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Was always partial to Rolf Sorensson as well, always seemed to be the nearly man.

good call, great cyclist. World Cup Winner 1996?

Sørensen never won the World Cup, but got 2 thirds and a second, massively unlucky with injuries. Doesn't belong in this thread purely on wining far too much - numerous classics (Liege-Baston-Liege twice and Flanders for e.g.).

EDIT: Only won LIege Bastogne-Liege once.

He never seemed to be particularly well liked in Denmark, think he fell out with Riis, and often seemed a touch grumpy. Top cyclist though :-)
  • He never seemed to be particularly well liked in Denmark, think he fell out with Riis, and often seemed a touch grumpy. Top cyclist though :-)

Good enough reason to like him :D
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    He never seemed to be particularly well liked in Denmark, think he fell out with Riis, and often seemed a touch grumpy. Top cyclist though :-)

Good enough reason to like him :D

Yes, there is that! I think it was more that the two never got on and Riis got all the limelight, Sørensen didn't feel he was getting the respect he was due - particularly when he was leading the World Cup. I might be making this all up though, memory isn't what it used to be...
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Michael Wright, the forgotten man of British cycling. Three TdF stage wins, four in the Vuelta along with 5th on GC in that race in 1969, which at the time was the highest any rider from an English speaking country (although he spoke little English himself) had finished in a GT.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Comment only
    1995 stage 9 TDF Bjarne Riis dead man walking (sorry riding) on La Plagne with Zulle on a solo break to win the stage .
    The dead man with eyes bulging hanging on at the back to 4 others and the Indurain mountain pace.

1996 WTF........bollox impossible. I said it then and no one listened.

Rolf Sorensen the domestic for many Argentin wins and then wins 2 monuments himself.
    The sheer guts of the man to somehow climb the ANS (first time it was used) to catch Tony Rominger who knew he had lost the Liege because Sorensen would always outsprint him.

I offer Frans Maassen (dutchman) because Pensec and Claudio mentioned.
    Everlasting 1993 RVV memory in a bar at the bottom of Muur as Museeuw beats the dutchman and the explosion of noise in that bar.

Of course my favourite here is Raphael Geminiani (one of the three musketeers)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229
    Bo Hamburger - just a great name and the highly predictable headline of Hamburger Saves Danish Bacon after winning a stage of the ToB (think he won the day after I got his autograph at the start in Newport).

Chris Lillywhite - nearly had to borrow my (brand new) wheel when punctuting on a single track climb in the GP of Wales, went on to finish 3rd after the team car managed to get to him :lol:

Eros Poli - the most unlikely winner of a Ventoux stage ever, great ride by the big man.
  • Soren Lilholt - rode for Histor Sigma and possessor of possibly the coolest ponytail outside of Lauren Fignon. No big wins but classy guy.