Greatest Domestique

2»

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Popovych must be up there I would think.
  • federalski
    federalski Posts: 93
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    24 posts and no mention of Charly Wegelius? He's been working his socks off for his team leaders for the past 10 years.

The greatest domestique doesn't sell-out his team leader for 30 pieces of silver during a race -so Charly Wegelius doesn't even get to the starting gate.

What was the story here ? This must have passed me by....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    federalski wrote:
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    24 posts and no mention of Charly Wegelius? He's been working his socks off for his team leaders for the past 10 years.

The greatest domestique doesn't sell-out his team leader for 30 pieces of silver during a race -so Charly Wegelius doesn't even get to the starting gate.

What was the story here ? This must have passed me by....

This more or less covers it:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/article578324.ece
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    rjh299 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Hardly a forgotten man but...

George Hincapie - on the team for eight Tour wins, then switched to being in a sprint train that won ten sprint stages in two Tours.

+1
    Just for his kick last year on the Champs Elysees. Awesome

Hmmm, that was a nice piece of riding! I have to go for the OP's Sean Yates though. Always impressed with how much mayhem he could cause to the back of a strung out peloton.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    lets not forget robert millar staying by pensecs side in 89 or 90 tour on alpe duez as pnsec was in yellow. millar was itching to ride away
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    Ignoring the US Postal/Disco boys for obvious reasons...

Renshaw. Or Ullrich 1996.

Edit: I loved Yates back in the day but... Nah, forget it...
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Talking of Robert Millar, lets not forget Alan Peiper who deserves more recognition for his support and performances over the years.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Eros Poli.

Part of the Cipo lead out train, domestique for Pantani and had his day in the limelight over the Ventoux whilst wearing what appears to be an Ian Poulter golf visor...

000_arp2229812_600.jpg
  • Miguel Indurain for Pedro Delgado
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    Eros Poli.

Part of the Cipo lead out train, domestique for Pantani and had his day in the limelight over the Ventoux whilst wearing what appears to be an Ian Poulter golf visor...

Jimmy, why would anyone want to join the club of the noughties when it's 2010? :?

:wink: