charge bikes paint work

headcount
headcount Posts: 2
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
hi

I have a charge mixer 2009 model, its great but if you even touch the paint work it gets scratched and chipped. I bought the bike in january to last me 10 years and it already looks bad. Anyone any opinion on there finish quality and durability?

headcount

Comments

• markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Cover chippable areas with clear helicopter tape mate.
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    I think the Mixer does chip a little more easily than some. After the first couple of weeks, I got a car-retouch set in the right colour from Halfords and filled in the chips. Since then, I've taken more care with the bike and not had any more chips.
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    Not too easily, I hope. I'm planning to buy one this week for commuting and general around-town pootling.

Stop me now if it's a bad idea!
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Sound like you've got the same paint job that my car's got. I watched a bird poo falling in the air from a tree above it the other day and the mark was already forming on the paintwork on my roof before it landed there.
  • itsbruce
    asquithea wrote:
    Not too easily, I hope. I'm planning to buy one this week for commuting and general around-town pootling.

Don't stop; it's a lovely bike. I hadn't thought of it as a pootling bike, but there's nothing to stop you from doing that. I tend to race around on it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    asquithea wrote:

I get the impression they are excessively heavy. Might be worth a snoop round the forum to confirm either way.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itsbruce
    Rolf F wrote:

I get the impression they are excessively heavy. Might be worth a snoop round the forum to confirm either way.

The back wheel is heavier than that of the average road bike, certainly. This doesn't stop me racing up what pass for hills in London, scalping as I go, nor lifting it up the steps from my basement flat every morning. The one time I notice the weight at the back is when I've been grocery shopping and have two fully loaded panniers; my old Trek is a big enough beast that it makes no difference but on the Charge, I do have to be careful getting on and off.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    The finish on my Kona is the same - they even come with a free bottle of touch-up paint....