Hope/Formula

monkeylizard
monkeylizard Posts: 155
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Quick question...

I read somewhere that Hope manufacture rotors for Formula - is this gen?

Comments

• milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Rota is a rota is a rota. You can use Hope rotas with Formulas or vice versa. I am currently running this setup with no problems.
  • milfredo
    but a rota isn't a rotor.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I doubt it's true, Formula are a higher volume seller than Hope worldwide so it's not likely they'd outsource this to a smaller company with pretty high manufacturing costs.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    milfredo
    but a rota isn't a rotor.

Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!
  • monkeylizard
    The reason for asking is that wifey's bike is specced as having Formula R1 carbon brakes. Only just noticed (a couple of months after getting it) that the rotors are Hopes, then read somewhere that they make the discs for Formula :?
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    The reason for asking is that wifey's bike is specced as having Formula R1 carbon brakes. Only just noticed (a couple of months after getting it) that the rotors are Hopes, then read somewhere that they make the discs for Formula :?

I'm sure I read somewhere that Formula had discontinued floating rotors due to the fact that they could not guarantee trueness. :?

R1s come as standard with steel rotors.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207

Pics?
  • monkeylizard
    Andy wrote:

Pics?

Bit difficult at the moment as it's back at the LBS getting the front rotor replaced. It was when she spotted that the rotor was bent she also noticed the Hope logo on it.

Just thought it better to enquire on here, as asking the LBS why R1 brakes had Hope rotors might be implying that they'd done something a bit dodgy :lol:
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i dont even think hope make there own rotors.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    milfredo wrote:
    Rota is a rota is a rota. You can use Hope rotas with Formulas or vice versa. I am currently running this setup with no problems.

not all rotors are the same, differences in thickness etc effect the feel of the brake, the hope floaters dont work well with juicy's unless you modfiy the pads for example.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    milfredo wrote:

not all rotors are the same, differences in thickness etc effect the feel of the brake, the hope floaters dont work well with juicy's unless you modfiy the pads for example.

Hope floaters will not work with R1 calipers unless the caliper tabs are filed down.

The rivets used on Formula disks are not as wide as those on Hope floaters so don't cause problems with clearance.