The Burgess Hill 1066 cyclosportive 4th July.

1066 CYCLOSPORTIVE 4TH JULY

One month to go before the above cyclosportive can't wait :lol:

Riders have Cob Lane to deal with on this ride. :roll: :!: :lol: :shock:

Check it out here http://www.srs-events.cc

Comments

• SRS Events
    SRS Events Posts: 264
    Let me put that in more detail pocket.

CALLING ALL CYCLOSPORTIVE WARRIORS :!:

The next event in the SRS Events 2010 cyclosportive series is the Burgess Hill 1066 cyclosportive on Sunday the 4th July. This event promises great views and excellent cycling countryside as it passes in and around the magnificent rural and scenic 1066 countryside.
    Burgess Hill host the start and finish of this cyclosportive with its headquarters at the Oakmeeds College School, in the centre of the town. This central point in the town for the HQ offers great facilities that a cyclosportive warrior might need, like toilets, changing rooms, showers, canteen, secure bag drop area, etc. A great place to commence battle for this Cyclosportive.

There are four routes to choose from on the 1066 cyclosportive, they are:-

Classic ride @ 104 miles
    Challenge ride @ 85 miles
    Tour ride @ 66 miles
    Kermesse ride @ 35 miles

The premier ride on the 1066 cyclosportive is the Classic ride which at 104 miles tackles the rolling roads of the South Downs, the Lower Weald and the beautiful wooded lanes of the Ashdown Forest.
    The Classic route is a tough mission for any cyclosportive warrior. All weapons available in the cyclosportive riders arsenal such as speed, endurance, strength and fortitude of mind must be available in great quantity to conquer the Classic ride of the 1066 cyclosportive.
    Although none of the routes are mountainous there are a few climbs to engage with, most notable is the short but steep climb of Cob Lane which is close to the end of the ride. When riders clamber to the top of Cob Lane they will be relieved to know there is only 12 miles to go. Cob Lane hill should have every entrant conserving just a little bit of leg weaponry for this cleat breaking ascent. Cob Lane averages 20% gradient and those that have ridden the SRS Events Springtime Classic in March this year wil come prepared with even easier gears just in case :lol:
    Easy gears such as 39x25 or even 34x25 are recommended to avoid any chances of taking the cleat breaking walk of shame that so many others have taken before on this hill.
    Those that prefer to enter the lesser distances of the 1066 cyclosportive don't escape dragging their weary carcasses up Cob Lane either, as all the riders on all four routes have to climb Cob Lane in the 1066 cyclosportive.

All routes are supported by mechanics, medical emergency staff, excellent feed stations and broom wagons to pick riders up and get them back to the HQ if things don't go quite to plan. On finishing riders will receive their time digitally calculated by SPORTident along with a certificate proving that they are true cyclosportive warriors who finished the 2010 1066 cyclosportive.

But that's not all.

Cyclosportive Warriors definitely need feeding immediately after battling their way to victory, so after collecting their certificates and record of the time they achieved for their ride a 1066 Cyclosportive Goodie bag, riders are invited to enjoy the free food put on by SRS Events. If that wasn't enough there will be a large screen showing cycling documentaries for riders to enjoy while they tuck into their free meal.

Those travelling by car to the event will have the benefit of free parking in the centre of the town which is only 5 minutes away from the HQ. The Burgess Hill train station is also only 5 minutes away from the HQ although riders should check with the train company they are using to make sure travelling with bikes on a Sunday is possible.

The closing date for this event is the 27th June 2010 and it is recommended to enter as soon as possible to avoid the late entry fee. The late entry fee will be charged after the closing date should there be places left.

Entry fee £26 before the 27th June
    Late Entry fee £30 after the 27th June

CLICK on this link to find out about how to enter
    http://www.srs-events.cc/event3/how-to-enter-htm

This event along with other events that SRS Events organise is raising funds for the Sussex Heart Charity.
  • Who's doing the Classic ride on the 1066 cyclosportive ?
    or have you opted for one of the shorter rides.

Classic ride @104 miles has 2259 meters of ascents

Challenge ride @ 85miles has 1922 meters of ascents

Tour ride @ 66miles has 1227 meters of ascents

Kermesse ride @ 35 miles has 614 meters of ascents
  • what brakes
    what brakes Posts: 328
    im doing the classic and looking forward to it. :wink:
  • It's a great course but save a little for the end.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I can't make this one (bah humbug father in laws birthday bash doo dha), but I'll be there on August the 29th. I can't recommend these sportives highly enough - really well organised and signposted, and a good range of courses to suit all abilities.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • oh well never mind ---- actually you are missing a great course especially if the weather is nice but don't worry Ratsbefus you will enjoy the BURGESS HILL RUMBLE IN AUGUST it will be even better than last year.
  • flix23
    flix23 Posts: 72
    I'm doing the Classic route. Enjoyed the event back in March a lot.
  • The March Springtime Classic event was a hard event if you enjoyed it you will enjoy the Burgess Hill Rumble on the 29th August. The Classic event in the Rumble is about 20miles longer, great course but uses much of the same roads as the Springtime Classic.

The 1066 cyclosportive course is a lovely route although watch out for the Cob Lane hill at the end. The 1066 event is now advertised on British Cycling website, a website that is much improved recently.

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclosportive
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    POCKETROCKET42

Do you have a vested interest in these events ?
    exercise.png
  • SRS Events
    We are delighted to announce we will be showing the film BICYCLE DREAMS by Director Stephen Auerbach, at the 1066 Cyclosportive on July 4th.

This is an excellent film about the Race Across America. An extremely fascinating not just about cycling but a film about the mastery of pain despair and exhaustion.

http://bicycledreamsmovie.com/
  • SRS Events
    1066 Cyclosportive on July 4th

The film Bicycle Dreams which documents The Race Across America will be showing at the 1066 cyclosportive on July 4th

See the a clip of the film :-
    http://bicycledreamsmovie.com/trailer.html

Late entries are still being accepted to the 1066 Cyclosportive.
    http://www.srs-events.cc/event3/event-details.htm
  • flix23
    flix23 Posts: 72
    What's happened to the nice route profiles etc on the http://www.srs-events.cc/event3/event-details.htm website? Seems like the only route info now available is the bike toaster map..
  • Casbar
    flix23 wrote:
    What's happened to the nice route profiles etc on the http://www.srs-events.cc/event3/event-details.htm website? Seems like the only route info now available is the bike toaster map..

I agree it was very nice and useful before..not so now.
    exercise.png
  • Casbar
    Well organised at the start

But signage not all that great..got lost twice ( once a biggy )..I felt that on crucial turn offs ( coming off the main roads where riders have to concentrate on Traffic etc ) there should have been more signs ( leading up to the turn ) not just one sign at or in the turn , which in my case I easy missed

The one leading into Battle, the one turning off after Burwash and the one jbefore Lindfield should have had pre warning signs !!!!!!!!

Staff were great, timing system a bit time consuming ( haha ) , the route was good

After race meal ( well wasn't a meal really...big box , very small Tuna roll, packet of crisps and a small kit kat.) was ok !!

All in all the weather made it a good day, but at £ 26 ...I thought it was too expensive for what I got

The signs being the most important for me
    exercise.png
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    Have to agree with Casbar.

Signs need to be before junctions, not at the turn, or in some cases after the turn!

Most of the early starters missed a turn after about 10 miles and ended up adding a few miles before having to retrace steps.

End of race 'meal' was a little oversold as well.

Good staff all round though. Good event but overpriced.
  • what brakes
    there were 2 sign i almost flew past! one was on a main roadon a corner which you couldnt see untill you got to it or past it! that caught me by surprise along with the few riders i was with! and at the end a mile or 2 from the finish therere wasnt a sign and it was only due to the fact that the guy i was riding with knew where to go that i didnt get lost. A mate who was a mile or 2 behind me got lost with another rider and added a few miles to his journey!

It was a good day and the lead pack i was with for first 40miles or so was absolutely flying!

Good day all in all. I hope the guy that had major cramp is ok. he was curled up on the road screaming in pain!
  • guillaume
    guillaume Posts: 35
    yes i missed an early turn...but was just following the wheel in front. luckily one of the srs people drove by to tell us to go back. i found the rest ok, tho i think my eyesight must be going because i often had to ride right up to them to see which way they were pointing. fantastic route & weather.
    does anyone know the length of the classic? my printout said 106 miles - slightly longer than advertised...but i think the route was altered to take in forest row??
  • ajcherry
    ajcherry Posts: 22
    I`m inclined to agree with the signage,particularly if you were not familiar with the route.I saw loads of people miss the right turn after the level crossing at Cooksbridge.Now as to whether this was because everyone followed the front riders i don`t know.As i knew most of the route i was able to anticipate this turn which helped and was happy to lead the way.

As always with SRS Event they are very well organised with smooth quick signing on and well stocked feed stations.

The weather was great,slightly cooler than of late and with a brisk South westerly wind blowing me to Battle i was recording an impressive average 20mph.

I`m happy to pay £26 knowing that some of it goes to the Sussex Heart Charity and for 6 hours entertainment on the bike that represents good value.Now you would not catch me paying that to watch a football match :)
  • what brakes
    My comp said i did 102.99miles! which is setup to the milimeter but who knows!

There were a couple of dodgy downhill bits! i was flying down one of the hill with a mate behind me and the road turned very sharply to the right i yelled out stop! and manage to get round the corner but my mate flew straight on into the woods! lol :roll: i did laugh. luckily for him there was a good gravel area which saved him.... we were both laughing about it today
  • Casbar
    Oddly enough I flew into the woods at exactly the same corner....But pretended it was a pee brake to save myself the embarassment.
    exercise.png
  • robmurr2000
    robmurr2000 Posts: 166
    edited July 2010
    Have to agree about the signage,esp the one after the level crossing!! i was too busy flying along in the early bunch to see it,fly with the crows and all that!! thanks to a local rider,I managed to double back and get back en route. Twice now I have defeated Cobb Lane Hill,not bad for a wee Scotsman!! Loved the weather and met some nice people,that was my last sportive in England as I'm off back up to Bonnie Scotland to work.Ken Laidlaw sportive...bring it on!!
  • SRS Events
    edited July 2010
    Did any body think it was under priced ? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you admit to the fact that we have under priced our events we promise we won't charge you more.
  • SRS Events
    With regards to the signs - I am afraid we had a bit of a gremlin on the course.

Lots of signs had been taken down the night before by the arrow gremlins.
    :cry:
    This was only discovered late in the night before the event and with over a hundred mile course with already tired staff it was hard to recover from this sabotage.
    We can only apologise to those that didn't see the arrows that we did put up to try to keep the standards up.

We also had people taking down signs on the day itself especially in the Horam area.
    Signs at a key point in this area were taken down not just once but three times after replacing them, and then not just the odd sign but long stretches of the circuit!

Rather soul destroying with all the hard work that had been done to make sure people didn't have any problems getting around.

We really hope that the somewhat negative comments don't put people off our next event. I will point out that in the past we have been congratulated about our signage.
    We will be looking into ways we can stop this sabotage of the route.

There is a reward for information that leads us to successful to apprehending of said arrow Gremlin/s

Lots of other things to respond to here and I will very soon but too tired now,
    By the way we will bring back the Route You maps but some people were having trouble with them recently as they were not loading -- and responding to their questions about Route You was rather time consuming running up to an event. I believe that the fault wasn't Route You's fault but rather something to do with the particular internet suppliers which hopefully will be solved soon.
  • Casbar
    SRS Events wrote:
    With regards to the signs - I am afraid we had a bit of a gremlin on the course.

This was only discovered late in the night before the event and with over a hundred mile course with already tired staff it was hard to recover from this sabotage.

Rupert I hear you, but dont you think a small warning on the morning as we collected our numbers , would have made us more aware of the problem you had the night before and more vigillant ?

Its good to hear that on previous occassions you have been congratulated on your signage, but somehow I miss how that helps me !!! I got lost twice because of inadequate signs...that is the point here.

One great example was the sign into Slugwash Lane..only one inside the road showing the left turn ( nothing before )...as I came to it a car was at the corner covering that sign....No chance seeing that...I knew the area at this time so knew it was coming ...but I think you get the idea

Hardly ever did I actually see a sign before a turn.....most of them were at the turn or in the turns, so we can argue the facts or we can listen to the customers who paid and had problems yesterday

Your choice

There were lots of good things about your event, as I mentioned above...so I'm sure I would come back..but signage has to be sorted or I can just load the route on my Garmin and do it for FREE
    exercise.png
  • mabarbie
    mabarbie Posts: 64
    Absolutely have to agree with Casbar, the signage problems did affect the enjoyment of the day for me. I'm not from round those parts so was not fortunate enough to know when to turn etc. I had my GPS phone which thankfully got me back to Burgess Hill from just before Haywards Heath.

Apart from the signage, the day itself was good, some of the roads could have been better, but that can probably be said of most sportives.

I did Flat out in the Fens the week before and over 156 miles there was not one sign missed, with helpful signs way before any junctions, so I could get into position on the road and give fair warning to other road users.

I hope the Gremlins get caught next time, perhaps some sort of electric charge on them so that people don't touch them :idea: only joking there!!
  • Boleynboy
    Boleynboy Posts: 83
    A few observations of my own about this event.
    I have to agree with the comments about the signage, it was not good enough, I was in the big group that was first off that missed the right turn after the level crossing at Cooksbridge and I am local!
    Several times I and fellow riders were locking up rear wheels because of missed or badly positioned signs, especially at the bottom of several steep decents.
    I found the route to be fine until the Battle to Mayfield section, which in my opinion was just sadistic. Constant short, sharp climbs followed by steep decents down narrow lanes with blind corners and horrendous surfaces which were hard to spot in the shade made for very uncomfortable riding. It just was not in anyway enjoyable, I love a challenge and I consider myself a fairly experienced sportive rider, but that section was a slog and plenty of riders around me seemed to agree. It does not hurt to have a few flatter sections on a ride of this length, something the Dragon Ride, for example, gets spot on.
    This is just my opinion, I knew the ride had over 5000 feet of climbing, and having ridden the Spring Classic last year I knew it was going to be a tough ride, but I think there should be some fairness in the route too!
    The free meal was not a meal, it was a dry cheese roll with a bag of crips and a kit kat, for a £26 entry fee this was just not good enough.
    On the positive side the staff were very helpful and the feed stations were well organised and situated.
    A few people have mentioned the sharp corner with the gravel run off, when we went past this spot the rider in front of me went into the gravel but stayed upright. He did this even though another group had stopped in the gravel area because at least one of their number had fallen(I saw a female rider with Sky kit on, sitting upright but looking battered and bruised, I hope she was okay)? This corner obviously needed warning signs.
    I have never commented on a sportive I have ridden before, but felt strongly enough about this one to do so, as I said above, just my opinion, but after spending £26 and all day in the saddle I am entitled to one.
  • Casbar
    Spot on Boleynboy
    exercise.png
  • what brakes
    I thought the course re hills and flats was good!

it was flat and fast for first 40odd mile then the hills started but i knew that would be the case. I quite like the mayfield to battle bit it must have been miles and miles of constant climbing! it would have been boring if it was flat all the way!

I have an injury at the mo which was casuing me severe pains in my knee from about the 50 mile mark which also meant that i could get the power to the pedals i would normally oof had, but i still enjoyed the climbing! untill i got to cob hill. :cry: but i was still riding up it. probably would have been quicker to walk it to be honest but i wont be defeated! :twisted:

I knew this ride would be the toughest ive done so far which is why i was looking forward to it and the climbing!

Unfortunately nothing is perfect and everyone has different ideas of what they want from a sportive! but it does go without saying that the longest ride will also be the hardest! its just a shame there are mindless morons out there who nick the signs and try to ruin things for others! :evil:
  • Boleynboy
    Boleynboy Posts: 83
    The last thing I would want is a flat route, I love to climb, that is why I have entered rides like the Dragon and Hell of the Ashdown this year, but that section ruined the whole route for me, it had no redeeming features at all, and one corner was an accident waiting to happen(which as I said above, it did).
    I believe there is a danger of sportives becoming too tough, just to claim they are the steepest, longest etc to attract more entrants, and this could have a negative effect on the whole scene. Looking at the finishing list for the Classic route there were quite a few DNF's and riders who took the shorter route when they had the chance, which says to me they got the route wrong.
    As I also said above I knew it was going to be a tough ride, the Spring classic was tough too but that had proper big climbs like the wall and groombridge hills in it, not a never ending run of soul destroying bumps.
    If the route stays the same for next year it will be interesting to see what the numbers are like compared to this year. I think the true test of a great sportive is that when you finish your first thoughts are how much better you want to ride it next year, but the opposite was true for me and this event.
  • guillaume
    guillaume Posts: 35
    i thought the route was great - a good mix of flat / steady uphill / & climbs in fantastic countryside. i too ran into the gravel on the sharp corner - but i put that down to my own poor judgement. lesson learned.