addictive

davidm82
davidm82 Posts: 34
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Does the need to want to buy stuff for your bike get worse, only had mine three weeks and bough hope skewers, hope seat clamp and hope spacers, then just ordered some peaty lock ons and hope bar end plugs, i know nothing to make bike lighter but it looks well nice.

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    wait until you start upgrading your upgrades! yes its gets worse!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    that's a bad money haemorrhage you're got there. You should probably get it seen to. Hope SPACERS? holy cow. Could be terminal.
  • davidm82
    ha im dreading it, thinking of new pedals now, talked myself out of carbon bars and seat post for now
  • davidm82
    looks so nice though
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    check this thread out and start worrying
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12693763
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Anonymous
    Bikes aren't for looking nice, they're for giving a good thrashing to.
  • davidm82
    it does get that to
  • Anonymous
    You know what really annoys me about things like this? Hope skewers aren't even that good. They're pain in the backside, frankly.
    I found that a cheap £3 no-name seatpost clamp I bought has actually been much better than the hope one it replaced.
  • davidm82
    well they have been fine so far for me, sorry it annoys you, EACH TO THERE OWN
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    You've only had them 3 weeks. Upgrading that quickly how could you even compare which is better. That's not a good way to do things. And it's also expensive. :-)
  • Anonymous
    davidm82 wrote:
    well they have been fine so far for me, sorry it annoys you, EACH TO THERE OWN
    Fine, keep blowing your money on expensive, useless trinkets. Personally I'd rather spend it where it matters.
  • davidm82
    i will do , i plan on upgrading quite a few bits actually but wanted to change these first, also im not comparing, i changed the hope bits purely for how they looked, plus in three weeks i dont think 500 mile is all bad
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Crack on
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    crack on with it kid! I've just spent months building up my bike in black white and golden trims. Then the other weekend I went for a walk around rutland cycling shop and came thinking......hm I think I want a different colour scheme now. God bless my accountant!
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    I get a bit miffed when a scratch and ding my ex8 but how do people cope that have spent a fortune swapping bits coz they look nice and colour code everything? :shock:

I wish Mr t would work at some LBS's so when somebody tips up after matching anodised screws they'd get a snickers bar launched at them for being a girl.

Get some nuts,sucker!!! :lol:
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    You know what really annoys me about things like this? Hope skewers aren't even that good. They're pain in the backside, frankly.
    I found that a cheap £3 no-name seatpost clamp I bought has actually been much better than the hope one it replaced.

I bought a cheap seat post clamp and it was utter garbage - ended up getting a second hand hope seat clamp for £6 on ebay.

With the hope I need much less pressure on the clamp to actually get it to hold the seat post - think this is down to the fact it has a brass shim rather than the plastic one the cheapo came with - the plastic shim on the cheap one got deformed and crushed fairly quickly rendering it totaly useless.

the second hand hope cost less than the cheap no brand -false economy and all that eh ;)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Its a well known fact that shiny anodised parts make you go much much faster and help you pull better looking members of the opposite sex.

This was proved in a wide ranging scientific test carried out by Professor M Oremoney thansense and sponsored by Chain Reaction Cycles, Wiggle, Merlin, Superstar, Hope, ebay and Local bike shops across the country.

Keep up the good work you cant have too many shiny parts :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    Do it all the time, though, i managed to stop, until i get my next bike
  • samson77
    samson77 Posts: 5
    must calm down im spending a fortune
  • Anonymous
    rudedog wrote:
    With the hope I need much less pressure on the clamp to actually get it to hold the seat post
    Wait till you get some crud and water in it, and it seizes up. Then it require the use of an extension bar to open it. Same goes for hope wheelQRs.
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    You know your addicted to buying nice shiny new bike parts when you can type in your 16 digit card number without actually looking at the card :shock:
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    rudedog wrote:
    With the hope I need much less pressure on the clamp to actually get it to hold the seat post
    Wait till you get some crud and water in it, and it seizes up. Then it require the use of an extension bar to open it. Same goes for hope wheelQRs.

Well I've been using it for well over a year now and thats never happened - its seen plenty of crud and water too.

When I'm doing maintenance on my bike, I usually put a tiny bit of grease on the shim - keeps it super smooth and really easy to open and close.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    If it doesn't effect the performance of the bike its not an upgrade to me,

And then it comes into the realms of the Chav with his body kit as a easily understandable example. they are there to look pretty and help the car/bike not at all. and lets be fair chav's get laughed at too :p
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    the Chav with his body kit as a easily understandable example. they are there to look pretty

And it's not as if they ever manage that :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Robowns
    Robowns Posts: 74
    Have to agree with you guys here, I upgraded from a non-branded to hope QR seatclamp, its a million times better. Can get it super tight and its still easy to open.
  • Thewaylander
    Lol fair play, I h ave seen 3-4 hope seat clamps die in the mud and grit with various people, But i respect there headsets and hubs
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The only experience of Hope that I've had is seeing my mate wrestle his QR clamps tight enough to hold his wheel on.

Shimano FTW!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thewaylander
    Salsa make the best QR bits i think, The just work nice. Hope get gritchy and bad fast.

But hubs and bearking types awsome!
  • Anonymous
    Hope hubs, and BB yes, definitely thumbs up. Haven't tried their headsets, I've just stuck with FSA Pig Pro for years. Got the same headset on all my frames so I can swap forks out nice and easy.
  • Thewaylander
    yeh, i actually like the bearings slightly more in the FSA, but the hope has really good extra rubber seals, Which with all the rain in south Wales makes a big diff must admit