First commute

allotropic
allotropic Posts: 33
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Yesterday I picked up my first road bike a Giant Defy 2, purchased through the cycle to work scheme. And today I completed my first commute to work, 12.5 miles each way, moslty on country roads, and some time on a B road.

The motivation behind the bike is as a tool to loose weight and get fitter, and hopefully have fun along the way.

This mornings ride was hard work, it took me 50 minutes, but the weather was glorious and I loved it.

This evenings ride home took a little longer at 56 minutes, I really felt it, but still loved it.

I plan to commute by bike twice next week and maybe the week after and then add a third day. And who knows I may end up doing it most days.

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Rest days are important and plenty of sleep all of the time but particularly when you start commuting as it does take it out of you (as I have found) and if you are tired all the time it's not much fun.
  • allotropic
    Thanks for the tips Paul. I did suggest to my employer that I should be allowed to sleep at my desk during the day as I'm helping their green credentials, sadly it wasn't well received :wink:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Go you! 12.5 miles is quite a commute, especially if you're not used to it. You'll get fitter by the day, and the weight will fall off. Be careful not to eat everything in sight though, you will need carbs but don't go nuts!

And keep coming back, it's a mine of information!
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    +1 on rest days, I've been doing a similiar commute for a few months and got to a stage of 5 days a week, then adding a couple of miles each way, then upping my average speed.....al till I completely knackered my legs and ended up having to stay off the bike for several weeks (Doctors orders)....be firm with yourself on rest then, because if your commute is as much fun as mine I think you'll find it addictive :D
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    +1. Most excellent speed there - a regular weekend run of mine's just a touch longer, 13.5 miles, and on the Viner I've done that in about 50 (including walking through a precinct), with either of my folders just over an hour. As others have already stated, take care not to overdo it!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Mines not far off 12 miles and I take around 50 mins, so you got some speed chap :)

My first week I really felt the aches in my legs, but not anymore and now I get todo it 5 days a week.

My commute time has actually gone up though, I tend to take it slower now and just enjoy it, who wants to get to work anyway when you can bike in the morning sunshine taking it all in 8)
  • allotropic wrote:
    Yesterday I picked up my first road bike a Giant Defy 2, purchased through the cycle to work scheme. And today I completed my first commute to work, 12.5 miles each way, moslty on country roads, and some time on a B road.

The motivation behind the bike is as a tool to loose weight and get fitter, and hopefully have fun along the way.

This mornings ride was hard work, it took me 50 minutes, but the weather was glorious and I loved it.

This evenings ride home took a little longer at 56 minutes, I really felt it, but still loved it.

I plan to commute by bike twice next week and maybe the week after and then add a third day. And who knows I may end up doing it most days.

Welcome to your new addiction :? :lol: (along with weather watching)

Think your plan on commute days is a good introduction and you can always use bad weather days as rest days like I do

Great choice of bike as well
  • I've started doing the same as you. Had been doing a 1.5 mile hike on the bike but that didn't feel like I was commuting. Started a job last week 11 miles from home and couldn't believe how excited I was at the thought of biking it. I get to side through some lovely country lanes in the sunshine (though could have done without the smell coming from the fields yesterday). I've got a Giant Rapid 3 on order so using the chunky MTB for now, figured if I can do it on that anything else would be a doddle. My route's quite hilly on the way back, about a 600m climb so taking me a bit longer than on the way in.
    Was planning on doing the same riding wise, 2/3 rides for a few weeks then increase the days and/or miles. The hardest part of it all is waiting for my new bike. Anyway good luck and I hope you're enjoying it as much as I am.
  • allotropic
    Thanks for the positive feedback and the top advice on rest days and not eating everything in sight :wink:

I cycled in to work this morning and even tho it was overcast and wet I still really enjoyed it.

You are right about the weather watching Coopster.

I'm hoping that as I get fitter and reduce my 17 stone bulk I'll be able to start doing some longer trips at the weekends too.

I do need to get some padded mitts, so any recommendations would be appreciated.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    allotropic wrote:
    I do need to get some padded mitts, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Specialized BG mitts will serve you well
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Gussio wrote:
    allotropic wrote:

Specialized BG mitts will serve you well

+1 I swear by them.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • allotropic
    Thanks for the mitt suggestions, I'll have a look at the Specialized.

Well I made it back home last night and this morning I feel pretty good, not too many aches :wink: