SPDs, MTBs and clipless moments

beverick
beverick Posts: 3,461
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I've been using SPDs for 10 years on the road bikes with few 'moments' but, to be honest, I'm pretty fed up with taking unplanned sideways dismounts.

So what's the general advice/best practice regarding SPDs and MTBs.

Do 'experienced' MTBers use SPDs, shun them, keep the cleats loose enough to pull out with minimal pressure or what?

Bob

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Basically you just have to get used to them. Learn to track stand, then you will have a lot less "moments" as your balance will be better, and you won't have to put your feet down as much.
    beverick wrote:
    Do 'experienced' MTBers use SPDs, shun them, keep the cleats loose enough to pull out with minimal pressure or what?

I can see this starting up an argument or two, but the only answer is yes, they do use them.

I can't remember the last time I had a moment. Years ago. (Cue one later today, I'm sure..)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    beverick wrote:

Probably best to set them quite loose to begin with...being able to get your feet out in a hurry happens on the trail more often than it does on the road...

Then tighten them up to suit.

'Experienced' mountainbikers realise that they should ride what they prefer...and one is not better than the other. This wasn't always true...but flat pedals and shoes have gotten a load better...levelling the playing field somewhat.

I keep saying this...I have one fried who breaks his srist every time he wears flats.
    I have another who smashes his elbow every time he wears spuds.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I've been using SPD's for about 17 years now, simply couldn't switch back to flats now. I do keep them pretty loose for easy exit, as long as they keep my feet attached when pedalling that's good enough for me.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's personal choice. I've recently started using them with the tension fairly low and I've been ok. a few very near falls, but I panic and pull out :oops: without any real coordination and the fact that the tension is so low means I unclip without thinking about it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ajmooseman
    ajmooseman Posts: 32
    Having just got back into mountain biking due to a fund raising ride of the C2C, I took the option of using cleats ( i though it was the done thing), any way since the c2c I've found the passion for MTB and being able to combine it with my off road motorbike passion, i've headed to the hills and trails. First time out due the tough and narrow climbs I had several silly sideways off's. I then read the forums and headed out with flats, hated every minute of it, didn't feel connected with the bike, found myself loosing traction on the pedals, and the legs where all over the place on the downhills.

SO back to cleats for me, it's deffo a confidence thing unclipping, start thinking about to much and you get stuck, forget about them and they are fine!

Not sure about the tension stuff with SPD's I use crank brothers which have a 20* or 15* release and they are great.

each to their own i guess just try each style if you can.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Make sure the bloody cleats are tight. The times my cleat has twisted in the shoe and I've fallen over, it's embarrassing.

I do use flats on the MTB, but that's mainly due to not having a spare set of spuds available for it. I find the flatties are actually quite good for building upper leg strength, but you do find that scallies are more likely to nick a bike with flatties than with spuds - those shiney bits confuse their small brains.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    beverick wrote:
    Do 'experienced' MTBers use SPDs, shun them,
    Yes to both. It's personal preference. There's a lot of people putting pressure on riders to use SPDs, but really, it's a personal choice. Plenty of people have ridden for years without.
    I rode SPDs for a couple of years, but didn't see the point, so I went back to flats.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    as yeehaam said, its personal, i have two bikes, one with flats, one with spd, i love the spd's, but i also lpve the flats, they both have big agvantages IMHO, and i wouldnt like to have to choose to only ever have one. Dont let presure make you get spd's, but they are worth a try IMO....

for me if i had to have one for the rest of my life, id prob go for flats.
    I like bikes and stuff