Had a go on a red route last night

Comments

• Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    I think to much importance is given into being able to ride a red or black route at a trail centre,my advIce would be to get Some experience riding your bike on xc routes, thIs way your gonna build up confIdence And depending where you are in the country will come across what most trail centres throw at you

I agree with that, just riding round local forests etc. throw up some challenges and you have to deal with them. Then your def better equipped when hitting a trail centre. A lot of people don't live near forests though so easier said than done.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I should point out that 'red route' is the marketing sweet spot.

Most people who ski will be aware of this.

every ski resport has a mix of greens, reds and blacks so there is something for everyone.

It is only when you get there do you realise that the colour has very little to do with the route, but more how it compares to the mountain.

Red route in thetford is miles easier than the green at glentress.

Greens at Chamonix are similar to reds at Tignes.

Not sure if I had a point here, but hope the info was useful to someone.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    CG is spot on there... Works in all directions too, the "nevis red" at fort william would be black pretty much anywhere else, but they want to draw people in so it's a red. Likewise most Glentress black is barely a black, mostly if it was built today it'd be a red... but then GT wouldn't have a black and would seem incomplete :roll: And don't get me started on innerleithen red, the noise people made when it got "downgraded" was mad.

One of Kielder's blues is negotiable by invalid carriages, and their big red is bizarrely extended in a fire road climb and descent just to make it seem a decent length. Lots of marketing in this stuff. And when I say "marketing" I mean "towering bulls**t"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Quirrel
    Quirrel Posts: 235
    I had a go at Chopwell wood's red route the other evening.

I was somewhat scared, back brake firmly locked for parts of it, that "oh dear I might be out of control" feeling as I bounced from rock to rock.

I think I will give the red route at Glentress a miss this weekend, my nephew can either go it alone or suffer on a blue run with me.

It will be a while before I can safely do even that simple one at chopwell.
  • Northwind
    Quirrel wrote:
    I think I will give the red route at Glentress a miss this weekend, my nephew can either go it alone or suffer on a blue run with me.

The blue at glentress is quality... I end up doing it about 1/3rd of the times I'm doing the red, and that's despite the red alternative being brilliant. One thing, which isn't obvious at first, on Good Game- the blue descent with the jumps- the jumps on the higher side of the trail are always bigger than the ones on the lower side. Some of the bigger ones can be pretty damn big at speed, but the lower ones are much more gentle, it's a good place to just get comfortable with a little bit of air.

The red's fairly straightforward for a red as well, for that matter, it relies on pace for its challenge so if you're uncomfortable you can always slow down. Spooky Woods is pretty miserable at lower speed and the Pie Run has a couple of bits you might find fairly alarming but the rest if approached carefully is a fairly gentle teacher. We see total incompetents riding half of it with their feet dragging along the ground and they don't die :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Quirrel
    Northwind wrote:
    Quirrel wrote:
    I

The red's fairly straightforward for a red as well, for that matter, it relies on pace for its challenge so if you're uncomfortable you can always slow down. Spooky Woods is pretty miserable at lower speed and the Pie Run has a couple of bits you might find fairly alarming but the rest if approached carefully is a fairly gentle teacher. We see total incompetents riding half of it with their feet dragging along the ground and they don't die :lol:

Never put my feet down unless stopping.

made that mistake years ago on one of my first motorbikes, lost a shoe and wrecked a fairing, now feet only ever go down for stopping
  • Northwind
    Then you're one step ahead :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Northwind wrote:
    Nothing at all wrong with sticking with what you know, "mountain biking" means different things to different people. It's one of the best things about the sport I reckon, it is what you want it to be.

Probably the most sensible thing you'll read on here...

There seems to be a preconception that trail centres are mountain biking... personally I've been riding a mountain bike for god knows how long and I only did did my first proper trail centre earlier this year. For me, mountain biking was more about finding a route on a map and just riding, some techy bits, most not.

As long as you're out there on a bike, then all's good...
  • The very first time I went to any sort of proper MTB trail I went over the bars twice fell off another time and just completely dived for the grass on another part!

I got grazed, bruised, scratched etc and that was on the blue route. Next time out did the red and black no probs at all, its a lot easier if you have had a look round it at least once.

Can not wait to go again! Guess Im just an adrenaline junkie tho, loved the pedal power almost as much as my superbike!

In fact I went out out and got myself a second hand Santa Cruz Nomad so I can hit the bigger stuff better, and still get the power down on the uphills.

Just go at your own pace and dont ride anyone elses pace but your own!

:-)
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Don't bail on a Glentress trip ever, it is one of the best places to cycle.

Most of the red route will be too much for you, there is no denying that.

However the blue and green are well designed and a lot of fun.

The green is a smooth rock free track the whole way around, but lots of nice rollers, it will help you learn how to move your body around and carry skill.

The blueroute is basically the red but bypassing all the hard bits, with an extra unique section called betty blue, which is wonderful.

Glentress is amazing, just avoid most of the red.
    If you do want to do spooky wood, I would say you would probably have to push your bike up, but as long as you do all the chicken runs (side path around obstacles) and keep your speed down you will enjoy the track. You will have to contend with people like me blasting past you at 30mph.

So green + blue = good. If you do well go spooky wood!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Glentress blue is great fun, We did it when we stayed there for a week, we were pretty knackered, and fancied something different, and yeah, well impressed with the blue route.
  • Quirrel
    I enjoyed it.

A few 'oh no' moments where I misjudged and nature saved me with her fickle ways, but all good fun.
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    Those types of trails aren't for everyone. I went with a mate who's been riding for years & years, fast, strong, great technical climber but he absolutely hated Afan - terrified him & he says he'll never be going back.

Give him an 80 miler all day ride over the plains though & he'll be fine.

There are so many aspects of mountain biking, you just have to cherry pick the bits you like doing best. Only time in the saddle will reveal what sort of riding style you prefer.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    The thing to remember is that a Red trail should be rollable, it might be technically rollable, but all sections are rideable. This also makes it a bit easier if you want to dismount and walk a section.

The only way to get more confidence is to build up on smaller things. Try to find some areas that have small drops (even kurbs) and practice going up and down. You need to practice getting loose on the bike, alowing it to pivot underneath you.

As mentioned already, there are differing types of mountain biking, however, the techniques are the same for all terrains, whether it's black, red, blue or wild riding.

...and of course, ahem, I would recommend going on a skills course. :wink:
    Craig Rogers
  • Boyzie
    Boyzie Posts: 7
    Im going for my first ride out on a trail this weekend. Im riding a Giant Boulder which I have commuted to work on via towpaths for the last couple of years.

Im pretty nervous that the bike isnt up to it. The guys Im going with vary in experience, one is an expert with a bike worth more than my car. One has been a few times and the other is a novice like me. THe only thing is they all have quality bikes.

My Giant looks a little pathetic in comparison. THe 0.95 tyres make it look like a road bile in comparison.

Should I be concerned? we are going out on the Red routes at Afan Valley.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hiya :D

I'm sure more experienced people than me will be along to answer soon, but for what it's worth I would be more concerned about you starting off on a red trail than the bike! I'm sure the bike itself will be fine, but red trails can be quite tricky.... Have you done any technical MTBing before? If you have then fine, but if not, then take it easy and be prepared to walk a few bits if you don't like the look of them.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I think you may find Afan a little challenging if it's your first proper ride out on that bike with those tyres. Just take it very slowly and expect to push.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Boyzie
    Thanks miss notax and stumpyjon.

This is my absolute first time on a trail.

You have both confirmed my fears. However, Im going to give it a try as long as the bike wont just fall apart. Me and the other novice have agreed we are taking it easy and I really expect to walk most of it!

There was suggestion of doing the black route but I put my foot down to that.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I started off riding red trails (at Afan actually!) and I was ok, so you'll be fine! Just be sensible about it - if something looks a bit scary then walk over it. Be prepared to walk up some of the climbs.... REALLY don't try the black. Some techy bits are unavoidable and you'll come unstuck.

Oh, and you probably know this but if you remember any pointers, remember these 3; stay loose on the bike, keep your weight back on the downs and definitely don't panic brake on techy bits!!

Enjoy :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Boyzie
    Thanks.

Not panic breaking is a good tip! Possibly why I've got my mate looking for some new break pads for me now whilst Im at work! Although he cant find them, the bike has got Tektro (IO or HO?) mechanical discs on so he's just going shop to shop asking for something to fit them. No luck yet.

As you can see, this was a last minute trip...
  • Buckaroo
    Buckaroo Posts: 134
    Hey forum. Thought I'd check my tuppence in...

After 10 years away from bikes I picked up a Fuji Nevada 1 hardtail three months ago and have been absolutely lovin the XC and forest riding ever since and hitting Swinley Forest at least once a week (live nearby). Properly hooked.
    Last week I hit Cwmcarn red (the Twrch Trail) to see if I could handle it.... For those that know it, you'll agree that this particular 'red' has a hell of a technical climb and a drop that is 75% is moving rocks and bone-shaking bumps and lumps..... but...
    ... even with cramping hands from cradling the brakes, a shaking core from the crunching track and a 'slight' bit-o-pedal sting on my calf I had a freaking blast! The winding forest sections on the 2nd half of the drop are sweet and the last part back to the car park really tests your concentration. And concentrate was what I did! Wow, was intense.

Thing is, the bouncy FS riders swooped past me the whole time so I know the trail probably wasnt as mental as I found it and if I went again I'd only consider it on a FS (next buy....), but you gotta give these things a go, take it easy, have fun and be prepared to slow/stop/chill/assess when you can. I learnt so much even on the slow sections. To newbies I'd say just go for it, know your limits and learn from your mistakes. As someone else said "The better you get, the better it gets".

S

The old dog - http://flic.kr/p/8xA5hk
    The puppy - http://flic.kr/p/8BKvoR
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Infected a friend of mine into MTB. His 1st ride was in Swinley forest (DH tracks), 2nd ride in Surrey Hills (BKB) and this one in Afan (Y Wall). He still thinks MTB is the best thing has happened to him and actually the man has found himself again! It's a joy to see his transformation into a better person.

Red trails are eeezz mode. :D
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Buckaroo
    Buckaroo Posts: 134
    Infected... Yep, I can relate to that... I have MTB-ondylitis.

Off to try Leith Hill on Sunday.

What would you say to a newbie about Y-Wall at Afan? Considering hitting it next wknd, rollable on a hardtail?

(genius video by the way... the "whoooa!" at 7secs makes it)

S

The old dog - http://flic.kr/p/8xA5hk
    The puppy - http://flic.kr/p/8BKvoR
  • popstar
    If I am not wrong, think our group is riding somewhere around you this Sunday. Most probably I could hit Surrey Hills this Sunday too, but only as a late run 16.30ish but then it's better to chat here for that matter. Hope to see you soon on trails.

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • milt
    milt Posts: 115
    my 1st trip was at glentress red came a cropper on middle secton 2 cracked ribs when i go back it will be for blue run untill i am more xperienced
  • psiturbo
    psiturbo Posts: 64
    How far from Florida is this trail?
  • My stories afeel good one,

Was new to MTB a year ago, took myself on a weekend course, made new friends, now been all over the UK with them and am very comfortable with my abilities. I deffinately suggest a course, mine was booked through cycle active and they were really encouraging. I can now try most redruns without being scared to death! And being a girl I can sometimes happily overtake the odd boy!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    psiturbo wrote:
    How far from Florida is this trail?
    Afan?
    About 2,240 miles. :lol:
  • aahjnnot
    aahjnnot Posts: 41
    Boyzie wrote:
    Should I be concerned? we are going out on the Red routes at Afan Valley.
    I made my fist visit to Afan (the Wall) yesterday with my wife, so I can probably help you understand how it feels to a first timer. We've both only had MTBs for 6-8 weeks, and I've done a few trips on local bridleways with my mates while my wife has hardly ever tried anything off-road other than easy family oriented paths. On the other hand, we're both pretty fit and well up to advanced off-piste skiing (a sport with enormous parallels to biking) so we understand mountains, drops, speed, etc and we certainly have no trouble with vertigo.

To summarise, we both agreed that the trip was one of the best days of our lives. Altthough we were a little tentative on the first single track sections, we soon loosened up as our confidence grew and we really blasted the final two sections, graveyard and zigzags.

The path was pretty dry throughout, but it's raining heavily in Wales today so it'll be somewhat moister for youthis weekend. Having said that, I doubt very much that your bike will be inadequate. If you're still uncertain about your equipment, though, you could always hire a bike at the Afan visitor centre.

Based on my experience, I'd say that all you need to enjoy Afan is a gung-ho spirit, a reasonable level of fitness, and a half-decent bike that won't dissolve when it hits a few bumps.
  • popstar
    But trails in Afan drain well, don't see a big problem at all if it rains. The Wall would be better to start with, then Whytes level at Glyncowrg ... as it's more fun.