Sportswool on tour and in the heat...

lastant
lastant Posts: 526
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
...just completed a twelve-day solo LEJOG and went for a lightweight option in terms of stuff to pack. It's all in the blog (link below), but just wanted to comment on the performance of the Shutt Sportive LE jerseys that I took.

I had two with me and had the intention of hand-washing every night, but didn't need to at all with them wicking the sweat away and not developing any odours at all over the trip - best example of this was after a day of ninety five miles including an up and over of Kirkstone Pass (1,500ft) in the baking sun. Finished the day and the jersey was good enough to be worn again the next day - even though the one I've got isn't 'summerweight'.

I know there's been some questions on here about how sportswool holds out over extended use. Comfortable, never too hot, never cold and never stinky over the twelve days I'd have no hesitation in suggesting a sportswool jersey to anybody.

The bonus points with Shutt's offerings is that they look pretty good too...even on an, erm, non-athlete such as myself!
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Congrats on completing LEJOG mate, and kudos for doing it solo in a respectable time!
    I did it in '08 with two others in 14 days and it was an incredible experience. Feels weird to not have to do your miles for the day doesn't it?

Oh btw, did you really fit everything you needed into that Carradice?
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Thank you. yes, feels really weird not 'having' to get somewhere!
    notsoblue wrote:
    Oh btw, did you really fit everything you needed into that Carradice?

Yep, everything I had went in there...although the Carradice SQR bit that attached to the bike broke on Day Two so I had to post it all home, buy a rucksack, carry it ten miles or so and then get a new solution from Planet Bike in Barnstaple (what fun...great service though!).

New solution is a Giant rack bag on a seatpost rack, not much bigger though. Maybe ten litres tops. Was aiming on travelling light, and got it to sub-5kg ish.

Would no longer recommend Carradice to anybody, part of the rack simply sheared straight off. Need to get it refunded. Could just be a bad luck experience, but not handy when you've got 900ish miles ahead of you!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    lastant wrote:
    ...just completed a twelve-day solo LEJOG

...even on an, erm, non-athlete such as myself!

The two comments are at odds with each other - congrats on a great achievement!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    lastant wrote:
    Yep, everything I had went in there...
    ~
    New solution is a Giant rack bag on a seatpost rack, not much bigger though. Maybe ten litres tops. Was aiming on travelling light, and got it to sub-5kg ish.

lol, I had two 40L Ortlieb Back Rollers, and actually started out with a third 30L Ortlieb rack bag on top of them but decided it was total overkill and left the rack bag behind with family in the Midlands.

On the next tour I'll definitely be packing *much* lighter!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Funny enough, I was just coming on to post the same! Not a lejog (bloomin' impressive by the way) but a little anglia coast tour, but the sportive LE has been brilliant, not too hot at all in the stunning weather I have had. And it's a heavy black one. Fantastic.