whats your record for wearing out a cassette?

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I know it's old...
    but I've got 1300 miles out of my current cassette. I got around 1100 miles from the chain, after the old one snapped at 200 miles. I checked the chain and it came up as 0.75% worn when I was putting pressure on the pedals, the tool wouldn't easily drop in, so it must have been only just 0.75%.
    So I put a new KMC X9 chain on. And it's skipping like mad
    :evil:

It's like a horrible kind of traction control, if I pedal at more than what feels like 10% of my maximum effort, It just slips and skips and I get nowhere. So I thought I'd caught the chain wear early and was saving money, but I've had to replace the cassette as well :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I found out my old sessioning spot was a scythe stone quarry, makes even more sense now why chains never last and how abrasive the dust/muck is.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    erm I think I am going to win/lose this.

I rounded off a deore cassette in a few weeks, I have also folded over a ring on a SRAM lower level cassette.

My Deore XT cassettes normally last a year... I think the Deore was just crap.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    sorry remembered wrong, it was a deore chain, not the cassette.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?