Elephant & Castle Upgrade

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 29,412
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I've just read on my ConstructionNews e-newsletter that TfL are about to start work on taking out the southern roundabout at E&C, as part of the new CSH.

Not read any of the detail yet, but here is the official leaflet:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/corporate/Elephant-and-castle-southern-roundabout.pdf
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• rjsterry
    Ok, a quick scan reveals that they are aiming to have it finished by April next year, so nearly a year of roadworks. Basically, they are replacing the roundabout with a glorified T junction. Slightly bemused by the statement that traffic lights will be introduced to smooth the flow of traffic - most TLs I know do the exact opposite of smoothing the flow of traffic. However, there seems to be a lot more provision for cyclists, with some big ASLs with sensible filter lanes. Any other thoughts?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• the regeneration of E&C continues... looks better than what is there now, I go over it everyday and it does wake me up in the morning if nothing else!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I've always felt that E&C works quite well for cyclists.
    exercise.png
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    It looke like a massive improvement TBH. That area is a total disaster area at present. The state of the road surface on the roundabout at the moment is a disgrace. I hope they hurry up and get on with it.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I don't around it often but I've never had any problems and like 'The Stone' find it works better for me on a bike than when in a car.

With all these road works and regeneration its getting impossible to get around South London by road.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't around it often but I've never had any problems and like 'The Stone' find it works better for me on a bike than when in a car.

With all these road works and regeneration its getting impossible to get around South London by road.

That'll be that 'war on motorists' we were talking about the other day :wink:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

That'll be that 'war on motorists' we were talking about the other day :wink:

Governments losing that war.

I bought a 1.4 Seat Ibiza for 'city driving'.

With all the road works in the city I've had to change my type of driving from through the city to around it on B roads and motorway.

So it is going to have to exchanged for something diesel and larger engine capcity (preferably 1.8 - 2.0ltr maybe 1.6), because I've had to take to the motorway (M25 or the dual carriage ways/national speed limit roads) to get around London and my Seat currently drinks like a alcoholic whn taken above 40mph.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ok, a quick scan reveals that they are aiming to have it finished by April next year, so nearly a year of roadworks. Basically, they are replacing the roundabout with a glorified T junction. Slightly bemused by the statement that traffic lights will be introduced to smooth the flow of traffic - most TLs I know do the exact opposite of smoothing the flow of traffic. However, there seems to be a lot more provision for cyclists, with some big ASLs with sensible filter lanes. Any other thoughts?
    That is on my regular route - no doubt there will be traffic chaos while they are doing it, to be expected really. They are at least building in some bike friendly features as you say.

That said, I never thought the current set up was that bad, apart from some crappy bits of road surface. There is a certain satisfaction from approaching from the Walworth road at speed and timing it to slot into a gap in the traffic coming round from the North, so getting a flying run round the roundabout :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I don't find E&C too bad by bike, particularly going north. Its terrifying in a car though!

@ Stevo666, I've just started commuting from Beckenham, surprised how quick it is from City to home, took me under 45 minutes the other night and that was with a few stops to check directions and in a rainstorm! My route was through Walworth, Camberwell, Denmark Hill, Dulwich, Lordship Lane (?), Forest Hill, Sydenham then Penge. I might have got the order wrong. Does that sound like the quickest option to you? I've also done a few commutes via Crystal Palace as well, some proper hills round there which makes a nice change!
  • Stevo_666
    MatHammond wrote:
    @ Stevo666, I've just started commuting from Beckenham, surprised how quick it is from City to home, took me under 45 minutes the other night and that was with a few stops to check directions and in a rainstorm! My route was through Walworth, Camberwell, Denmark Hill, Dulwich, Lordship Lane (?), Forest Hill, Sydenham then Penge. I might have got the order wrong. Does that sound like the quickest option to you? I've also done a few commutes via Crystal Palace as well, some proper hills round there which makes a nice change!
    Hi Mat, sounds like almost exactly the same route I take and it seems to be the quickest option for me. The last bit can depend where in Beckenham you need to end up: I a bit South of Beckenham Place Park so after Forest Hill I go down Perry Vale, past the big Sainsburys then down Worsley Bridge Road and onto Southend Road. If you are on the West side then the Penge route sounds fine?

We may have even had a brief 'joust' on the way in or out of town without knowing it - me: white Boardman hybrid, baggy sorts, flourescent rucksack :)

PS: agree, the Crystal Palace detour is good for hill training or general masochism....

Cheers,
    Steve.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    my Seat currently drinks like a alcoholic whn taken above 40mph.

The opposite of my 2.0 Focus. Drinks fuel in the city. Sips gently when cruising at 70. :D
    Good thing I only use it for long distance runs.

Mike
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Stevo 666 wrote:

PS: agree, the Crystal Palace detour is good for hill training or general masochism....

Cheers,
    Steve.

Them there hills is what makes one climb like a "scalped whippet" ;-) I do always look forward to my commutes that bring me in or out that way!

As far as the E&C works go it looks "meh" TBH I think it'll actually slow me down as like Stevo says, timing the entrance from Walworth Road right is hugely fun when done right and as long as the cyclist coming from Kennington are on the ball you can carry a fair bit of speed round to that bus lane :-D

The worst bit for me is the entrance from Borough High Street on the north side as you have no lights so if you do stop your usually fecked! I also think doing those roundabouts so often on the bike does effect how I do it in a car - I have to remember I'm NOT on a bike so can't take libertys with my lane choice!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rjsterry wrote:
    October for the road layout changes (I presume it will be traffic light controlled at that time). Seems odd that they are closing the subways two months before they plan to have the pedestrian crossings open :shock: I presume there will be some alternative crossing provision, or else we'll need to look out for wandering pedestrians.

Actually, this might encourage me to use the junction on the way to work. Currently I use the southern detour from Rodney Street via Churchyard Row (CSH7 works are making this bit a nightmare at the moment - and the wait if you miss the toucan at Newington Butts (??) is sooooo loooonnngg) round the back of the Imperial War Museum. I've used E&C South a couple of times and, while I find entering the junction OK, I find the bus lane chaotic, and turning into St George's Road problematic at times with buses and taxis barging through. Not sure it'll make a difference on the way home as I prefer the back route to the delights of the E&C North roundabout and the Bricklayers Arms.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Cheers,
    Steve.

Them there hills is what makes one climb like a "scalped whippet" ;-) I do always look forward to my commutes that bring me in or out that way!
    [Pedant mode on] I think the phrase was 'scalded whippet' :P as unfortunately I didn't get anywhere near scalping you on the February 'aqua sportive'...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Cheers,
    Steve.

[Pedant mode on] I think the phrase was 'scalded whippet' :P as unfortunately I didn't get anywhere near scalping you on the February 'aqua sportive'...

Yes, that was a bit of a freudian slip I believe :-) College Road/Fountain Drive (depending on how much I want to punish myself and play silly buggers with the cars at the roundabout) is my normal route via Crystal Palace. I have tried Gypsy Hill a few times but the messing around on the Crystal Palace one-way system just means that it's more a PITA as I basically have to go round 2 sides (or walk my bike on the pavement.......)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Stevo_666
    College Road/Fountain Drive (depending on how much I want to punish myself and play silly buggers with the cars at the roundabout) is my normal route via Crystal Palace. I have tried Gypsy Hill a few times but the messing around on the Crystal Palace one-way system just means that it's more a PITA as I basically have to go round 2 sides (or walk my bike on the pavement.......)
    Yep, College Road is one of my little detours if I feel my legs haven't suffered enough and I get a cracking downhill blast down Westwood Hill/Crystal Palace Park Road as a reward after making the 'summit' :D

The Sydenham Hill/Kirkdale option is also a good little up & down option but maybe a bit too far east for you.