Green Cycle Light at Traffic Lights

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Why? Road I commute on has a cycle lane at the side. The pavement is not mixed use.
There is a junction with a filter lane to the left, cycle lane moves out to go straight on. However, on the pedestrian crossing "green man" there is also a Green bike light, what is this for? To go straight on I am facing a red traffic light but the pedestrain crossing and cycle light are green to cross from pavement to pavement but the pavement is not mixed use!!

What is this all about? Can i go through the red traffic light if the green cycle light is on? If not what is the point?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=g62&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=20.246299,39.418945&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Glasgow,+Lanarkshire+G62,+United+Kingdom&ll=55.938628,-4.31727&spn=0,0.002406&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=55.93803,-4.317403&panoid=ckOFrDFZfxwcvGA4iHLmAQ&cbp=12,345.28,,0,14.53
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    That must be a Scottish thing. There is one like that in Motherwell except there is no cycle lane, just ped only pavement. Then you come to the crossing and it has a green light for cycles.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 9,,0,-0.76
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    I think it's just like the green man, directed at people on the pavement. We have them on crossings around where I live. Often they're accompanied by a "Cyclists dismount" sign.
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • Wallace1492
    DevUK wrote:
    I think it's just like the green man, directed at people on the pavement. We have them on crossings around where I live. Often they're accompanied by a "Cyclists dismount" sign.

But it is illegal to cycle on the pavement!!
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    DevUK wrote:

Tell that to bolton council who have designated various footpaths as cycle lanes but have not provided any segregation just stuck up a blue cycle sign. Me I'm sticking to the roads.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Wallace1492
    Lancslad wrote:
    DevUK wrote:

Tell that to bolton council who have designated various footpaths as cycle lanes but have not provided any segregation just stuck up a blue cycle sign. Me I'm sticking to the roads.

To clarify, illegal unless council make it mixed use. So, when it is not mixed use, and there is a cycle lane on the road, why is there a green cycle light facing the pavement?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Wallace1492
    ask the cyclist crossing the road to the left at the lights :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Wallace1492
    nicklouse wrote:
    Wallace1492
    ask the cyclist crossing the road to the left at the lights :wink:

Aye true.... never noticed them...... GRRRRRRR :evil:
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    There's one of these at the bottom of the A879 (Craighall road) where it goes under the M8 into the centre of Glasgow.
    I have tended to treat it as a short section of cyclepath, which allows you to bypass the traffic lights before returning to the road. Isn't there a similar sort of setup on Cowcaddens Road between the Piping Centre & Glasgow Caledonian University, too?

I can't recall seeing any in Edinburgh... maybe it's a west coast thing? There's plenty of variation in the provision of cycle "facilities" between different Council areas in Scotland, so perhaps it's a reflection of that?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    There are some of these in Central & South London, so it's not a Scottish only thing. Not convinced they are much good - several times I've found myself stopped on red for the bike signal while the traffic goes through on the main signal: it appears to be a way of stopping left hooks in the ones I have seen but its a pretty expensive way of doing it !
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wallace1492
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    There are some of these in Central & South London, so it's not a Scottish only thing. Not convinced they are much good - several times I've found myself stopped on red for the bike signal while the traffic goes through on the main signal: it appears to be a way of stopping left hooks in the ones I have seen but its a pretty expensive way of doing it !

The ones I mean, the green bike signal points at the pavement, not the cycle lane. The cycle lane is part of the road, and (presumably) adheres to the traffic signal. The pavement is not mixed use, therefore cycling on it is illegal, so why is there a green bike light when the pedestrian signal is green?
  • It looks like a planned way for cycles to get to the two cycle lanes on the main road: heading North beyond that junction (a hundred yards or so up) or South on the carriageway on the right; without having to turn right through the junction (though why defeats me). And possibly the idea you had to allow cyclists going Northwards to avoid having to set off between cars filtering left and straight on traffic (again, such a plan may be down to how planners view cyclists' needs/abilities rather than reality).

It may be that provision is planned for the future. It may also be a council c*ck up, in that either they have failed to designate the path as mixed use between the lights (either forgetting to bother or getting blocked after the toucan lights had been installed), have failed to get signs erected, or ran out of money :roll:
  • Special offer, perhaps. Buy toucan, get one free?
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Are you sure it's not an incorrectly signed shared use path?
    Shared use have to have the blue sign showing it is, but Fife council haven't put them up on some more recent set ups, just marked the pavement with a white bike.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    It must be shared use man. They have a wee light to show that cyclists can cycle across the road. Maybe there aren't any blue signs, but I reckon it's definitely shared use. :?