God I hate chest colds

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I barely FEEL ill, but it's like cycling with the brakes on permanently...

I struggled in this morning (and home last night) every little hill had my thighs burning and me barely able to get enough air into my lungs.

My legs are still suffering now and I'm finding it hard to breathe - and I've been in for an hour

Someone tell me it gets better?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    it gets better :)

plenty of fluids and fresh air is in order

I know the feeling, some days i suffer bad with gayfever and it feels like your going nowhere. I had this feeling the other day that my effort was getting nowhere and incredibly hard to ride, found the prob to be my bb that snapped on way to work yesterday lol
  • Kieran_Burns
    Well - the cycle home was a struggle but I just plodded along :roll: :wink:

It's kind of annoying as I want to extend the commute home now, but I could barely manage the usual route - I'll take solace in the fact that I didn't wuss out and did get some exercise today.

Legs are STILL tingling now - and I lost an hour after getting out the shower I was so tired! :?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I really think the best plan is to take it very easy. You can really knock your recovery back if you push yourself too hard.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Bet if it was Charlotte Church's chest, we'd be lining up to rub Vick in it...
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I was riding home a few nights ago and as I passed a pedestrian he spun around and sneezed right at me, forcing me to travel through his sneeze cloud. About an hour after getting home I began getting that soreness at the back of the nose / top of the throat and woke up the next day with a cold.

Didn't cycle yesterday but got back on the bike today. This morning I felt fine physically but mentally I was all over the place. Kept forgetting to think ahead for junctions and putting myself in danger. Had to have a severe word with myself and make an extra effort to concentrate for the journey home.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Thanks folks - the problem with me is: I'm fundamentally a lazy git and any excuse... So now I push myself and just do things.

I have a weekend to recover before work's "cycle to work week" which I'll be doing every day for the 1st time :? Determined to and looking forward to it in a masochistic sort of way :roll: :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X