Will I regret it?

Red Rider
Red Rider Posts: 93
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
New job for summer with a shorter commute. So, obviously, I need a new bike.

Would like a single speed as I'm moving to Bristol in Setember and, being used to Devon, don't think I'll need the gears (correct me if I'm wrong...).

Before everyone tells me to make one myself, my hands aren't particularly mechanical (but are wonderfully soft...) and I don't have a shed full of spare bits lying around - I think my road bike is still all original kit.

Also, nothing on the electronic flea market is appealing to me and I could do with something sooner rather than later as I don't like leaving my roadie at work.

Lastly I don't have a load of money. £300 tops. So my question is, would I regret getting an SE Draft Lite? It's just for getting to and from Work / Uni - both of which are short roughly (5 mile) jaunts.

Apologies for the long post. Another night of trawling the interweb for the answers to all my questions has left me with a headache so I thought I'd try you guys!

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    do check the route, bristol is (for a city) hilly.

but the bike looks fine brakes might be a bit iffy but should be fine for a short commute assuming it's not over geared.
  • Orleandrew
    Orleandrew Posts: 61
    Wiggle have 20% off single speeds today. Don't know if it's any use to you, but maybe worth a look?
  • aldric
    aldric Posts: 161
    I used to live in Bristol and would agree that it has a good fair hills in it!!! Definately check your route before the purchase IMO.
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    If it's a short commute, a cheap mountain bike from Halfords or Decathlon might be enough? There's the added bonus of being able to use it off-road on your days off.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Aye do you know where you plan to live and where your place of work is? Post up the rough areas and we'll let you know whether gears will be useful or not... !
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Red Rider
    Thanks guys. Spanner well and truly thrown into the works!! Thought Wiggle had made it easier with their 20% off day...

Uni will be the UWE Frenchay Campus. Don't have a room yet, but was planning to look around Fishponds. If you lovely Bristol folks could suggest better areas for post-grad living (or for commuting to UWE sans hills) I'd be grateful.

Did this ride this morning on my roadie in what I think was the equivalent ratio (34x13 on mine; 42x16 on the SS) and it wasn't too bad. Is Bristol hillier?
    http://beta.mapmyride.com/route/detail/17949378/

Midnight deadline for the wiggle sale... :?

Thanks again!
    Dave
  • For that budget why don't you get a 2nd hand bike, and if your route allows it convert it to singlespeed?
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    To be honest, you'll probably be fine on an SS in Bristol - ask Redvee! Although he has just changed to gears again...

Assuming you'll come out and play in the town centre occasionally you make end up on a few hills back home BUT most of them are de-tourable for a gentler slope without too much added to your journey :)

As for where to live - I'd personally think it much more fun to live near the Gloucester Road than in Fishponds, but I'm not sure what cycling along the A4174 (dual carriageway for much of it) is like...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Red Rider
    Thanks for your all your advice. Alas, it was slightly wasted on me (sorry!) I've bailed on the Draft Lite for now. Damn Wiggle and their one day sales! Just couldn't commit. Think I'll keep looking for a good 2nd hand.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Getting to the UWE at Frenchay isn't easy on a SS unless you want a hell of a detour, it sits at the top of a hill if you take the short/direct route from Fishponds. I've done Blackberry Hill on my SS so riding to the hypothetical home from Uni is possible.
    sarajoy wrote:
    ... live near the Gloucester Road, but I'm not sure what cycling along the A4174 (dual carriageway for much of it) is like...

There is a cycle lane from the end of Filton Avenue to Coldharbour road. SG Council have remodelled the MOD roundabout to include better cycle facilities like cossings. I ride past the UWE most mornings now and don't have any probs with the traffic.

Another factor to consider in the location of home is how far it is from the pubs we meet at in town.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.