Insurance

RJLJ
RJLJ Posts: 27
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Wonder what number of cyclists out there are cycling around without insurance or are aware of the impacts of what could happen in terms of having to pay out if they cause an accident?

Comments

• fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Interesting topic.
    I will certainly look up some statistics.
    It would be interesting to find out how likely is a cyclist:
    a) to cause an accident
    b) which involves damages which would be higher than the excess most insurances charge

I am not saying we shouldn't be insured (my family is), but that it might appear to be a bigger problem than it is.

On the other hand, the number of motor vehicle drivers who are not insured is, statistically, known to be an actual problem.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Prompted by recommendations on this forum, I am a member of the CTC and enjoy the benefit of their third party insurance.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Im also member of CTC, great piece of mind if you ever accidently caused an incident and also my bikes are fully insured
  • RJLJ
    RJLJ Posts: 27
    I too am a member of the CTC and have been for a very long time, fortunatlely never had to use them but the £36 I pay every year gives me great peace of mind.

Will be getting family insurance very soon!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    fnegroni wrote:
    Interesting topic.
    I will certainly look up some statistics.
    It would be interesting to find out how likely is a cyclist:
    a) to cause an accident
    b) which involves damages which would be higher than the excess most insurances charge

Sod's Law you have a scrape with someone on the commute who drives into work in their favourite high-end car. The brake/gear-lever hoods often have metal caps on them. They can cause nasty, and potentially deep, scratches to the paintwork.

Been a member of BC for about three or four years. Have Gold membership, one of the benefits being there's no excess.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    I've been thinking about getting some cover - any thoughts on CTC vs BC?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I nearly when over the back of a very expensive sports car once after he pulled round me and then a bit later down the road (with me too close behind him after being a bit angry about the way he cut me up) slammed his brakes on for a speed hump.

Also, just scratch a car with your bars these days and you could be looking at a grand or so.

I can't believe people who cycle regularly cycle without insurance.
  • I have £2m of public liability insurance included in my house contents insurance at no extra cost. It is a fairly standard clause so the only bike specific insurance I need is in case they get stolen.
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    i rely on my home insurance cover as well, i think also capped at £2 million 3rd party, plus £50K of legal expenses cover. I'm sure the CTC cover is better but am yet to be convinced that it is essential.
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    my bikes are quoted on my home insurance and for £80 a year they're fully comp covered - I negotiated and specified what I wanted and they quoted on providing that cover, its cheaper than I could get from bike specific policies (from whom I picked all the bits I asked L&G for)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I just bought home insurance to make sure my bike was covered for travel abroad and have BC insurance to cover me on the road.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    What happens if you trip on the pavement and fall against a parked car? Do people have walking insurance?

(I'm also a member of CTC, but I think the argument that insurance is essentially a requirement is a bit silly).