Helmets...

Chunkers1980
Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
edited June 2010 in MTB general
How much did yours cost?

I see some for £150 wtf!

Off your head to spend that much.... discuss.

Comments

• paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Agree, mine was last years model... Most shops seem to have a pile of them somewhere.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    My skull is priceless. The costlier the helmet, the better protection it offers.
    Off your head to rest your laurels on a budget helmet.. of course the cost/quality of the helmet also depends on what terrain and discipline you ride in. Buy the best you can afford

I guess for fire roads and towpaths a cheap helmet will suffice, however from experience I can vouch that a quality (and costly) helmet is in a class of its own when it comes to protecting your greatest asset which is you brain... unless you think your skull is indestructible, or you just don't care.. then buy a cheap helmet
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hmmm, not always the case - it all depends on what safety level is tested to. And even for the same level, the cheaper one may be better, is so hard to tell.

I use a Bell Slant because it was the only one that fit.
  • Chunkers1980
    So's mine!

BUT

A standard is a standard - if something meets a standard then it will offer a minimum level of protection regardless of price.

Costlier ones seem to have less bulk than the cheaper ones, presumably because they use better materials and can therefore reduce bulk - not just keep the bulk the same and make it offer greater protection for the same size?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, the cost seems to go into the moulding process and weight saving designs - and especially venting and retention. Some certain styles may provide more coverage at the rear.

On all fronts the Slant scores well and has scored brilliantly in all the mags.

But fit is foremost.
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    My helmets

Fox Flux : £70
    Giro Xen : £90
    661 Evo Legend : £70
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i have a xen, but only cuz i won it
    I like bikes and stuff
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    The costlier the helmet, the better protection it offers.

Not true at all. Most (unless you go POC) helmets regardless of the price, from £15-150 have the same safety certification. More dosh just gets you a lighter, better ventilated helmet.
  • smegurmum
    smegurmum Posts: 181
    mrfmilo wrote:

Not true at all. Most (unless you go POC) helmets regardless of the price, from £15-150 have the same safety certification. More dosh just gets you a lighter, better ventilated helmet.

not strictly true, there are a few (some aren't appliciable in the UK) of safety standards CPSC, SNELL B90A, CE and AS/NZS

SNELL is deemed to be a higher safety rating than CE - i know some/if not all the specialiazed range meet this standard where as a company like Giro havent met this (not due to not being as good, i dont think they have had them tested)
    Genesis Altitude
    BMC Team Machine
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    £85 for the 661 evo legend last year, after a minor crash I realised that a full face helmet was cheaper than dental work and it stops scratches to my face and risk of black eyes/broken noses/broken jaw all of wich would make work difficult or impossible :o Who cares if you are alright so long as you can make the money for theupgrades, that's all that matter :wink:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    smegurmum wrote:
    mrfmilo wrote:

not strictly true, there are a few (some aren't appliciable in the UK) of safety standards CPSC, SNELL B90A, CE and AS/NZS

SNELL is deemed to be a higher safety rating than CE - i know some/if not all the specialiazed range meet this standard where as a company like Giro havent met this (not due to not being as good, i dont think they have had them tested)

Like I said, most helmets that I see and have used ; or tried out are EN-1078 - the UK standard I think? I know some will give you more protection, but the majority have the same safety standard. :P
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I was going for a zen originally, but went for the hex instead....

half the price....

same safety cert.
    same low profile at the back
    a bit heavier
    apparently slightly less venting.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I think mine was £70 - Spesh' Propero - I have a very large head and it was one of the few available in an XL size that fits my head perfectly (a massive improvement in terms of fit to the Spesh's £25 job I was running before).
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i think i paid £70 for my xen a good few years back and got my 661 evo for £80 from the local extreme sports shop. will probably replace the xen with a hex but only because the colours are better :lol:

edit: actually the xen looks far better this year :lol:
  • How often should you replace ya bike helmet? Ive had mine ages, no crashes *touch wood* either
  • Chunkers1980
    I think you'd change it a lot less often if it cost £150.

Sort of my point behind the post - if you just go for say £30 ones then you can change it a lot more often as they do get dinged and after all most are made mostly from polystyrene and their strucural integrity will suffer with time.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    From Giro's website:

Q: How often should a helmet be replaced?

A: Giro has a general recommendation of replacing your helmet every three (3) years. If you are unsure of the condition of your helmet, or whether it should be replaced, call us at (800) 456-2355 or e-mail us at Feedback@giro.com for information on a free inspection.

Mine must be at least 8 years old... :lol:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    wow that means mine is due replacement round ..... now :lol:

edit: which colour do ya reckon????

giro-xen-2010-zoom.jpg

:D
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Casque-S-WORKS-MTB.jpg

RRP looks to be about £129.99 at the moment. I got it for quite a bit cheaper though. Brilliant helmet, but I bet you would get better protection from a cheaper helmet. Feels too light to offer the same amount of protection or reliability as say, a £30 one.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Struggled to find something to fit my head and hair under it.... Picked a Giro venti for £30.
    Does the job.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    How much did yours cost?

I see some for £150 wtf!

Off your head to spend that much.... discuss.
    Giro Athlon - about £70-£80 IIRC
    Met Kaos UL - about £80 (think it was discounted for being last years version but who cares?)

I have one for commuting and one for MTB'ing - also helps having two as it lessens the rank 'used helmet' smell :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Justinjured
    Justinjured Posts: 142
    Have a Fox Flux circa £70. It was the best fitting helmet in the shop. even has a spoiler on the back to make you go quicker!

Whats the recommendation for replacement after an accident? Had a bad one a couple of weeks ago where i came off doing around 30mph. Dislocated my collar bone and hit my head.
    I had bruises on the side of my head, just inside where the helmet would have been, but on inspection of the helmet there is no visible damage what so ever.

dont want to imagine what condition i would have been in if not wearing one.