The reason we all need more than one bike

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Today i was riding to work and "clunk" the bottom bracket goes and the bike is unrideable, luckily I hadnt got too far into 21 mile commute and could walk 4 miles into work, i take a very senic route.

anyhow I drop my bike into the lbs and they are chocker but manage to change the bb the guy in the shop said he had not seen a bb that bad for years, i must have used it a lot. nearly 6000 miles im surprised it didnt go a lot earlier. two weeks ago i ordered a new bike, and low and behold it was there, just waiting the cog for it to be changed into a fixed gear. my bike still in the shop as I couldnt get back today to collect as used my lunch break to take it there

I was proper gutted when the bb went this morning, but knowing my new bike was at the shop I felt a sense of joy. If I had not had this thought I would have been very upset,

we all need more than one bike

not really sure what im rambling about, but maybe cos im getting a new bike tomo, voucher coming tomo for cycle to work.

Ill be posting pictures of my first ever fixed gear tomo, never actually rode one before, im expecitng an off in the first few weeks but all lessons learnt and all that.

Now just a nice long walk home in the sunshine, wish I had my bike though

Comments

• Precisely my reasoning to Mrs. Elephant about my recent N+1. To be fair, I did sell my car a couple of weeks back, so am reliant on bikes every day now.
  • andy83
    i just need to sort out the shed to make them both be able to fit

I was gutted though as I had at least 40 miles planned today and now I only have 6 for the day, the stats league is overtaking my life lol
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    I have 4 bikes and no missus to complain about them.

Wait... Correlation?
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    In response to the topic title it's

"so I don't have to use public transport to get to/from work when my sole bike is broken!" :lol:

Since i broke my rear axle and haven't had time to fettle with it to the stage where I'm happy with the repair job I've done, I'm stuck on the bus and that's no fun! :(
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    n+1 is the rule... JonGinge is considering a nice track bike aren't you Jon. Just think how fast you'd be..
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • andy83
    i recently put in my blog ill be happy with 7 bikes, got no adverse reaction from SWMBO as long as i keep them in the yet to be built garage :)
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    I have 6 bikes but I am thinking N-1 as 6 bikes in one bedroom on the 3rd floor is awkward. No bf to complain about them but then men mostly seem amused to find bike tools etc amongst the girly stuff
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    n+1 is the rule... JonGinge is considering a nice track bike aren't you Jon. Just think how fast you'd be..

Ooh, Jon *would* be fast on a nice track bike, wouldn't he?

To be fair, I'm now up to three bikes really, but I don't really count my BSO mountain bike - I wouldn't ride it further than the local shop, my back aches if I even look at it nowadays.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    There is a downside to more than one bike though. It makes if harder to decide which one to go out on.
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    suzyb wrote:
    There is a downside to more than one bike though. It makes if harder to decide which one to go out on.

I dunno. I find I go in phases. One month it'll be my retro fixed ride, the next it'll be my charge plug fixed. Getting to work though, it's a bit of a struggle doing it fixed for more than a couple of times a week, so the hybrid does it most of the rest of the time.

Of course, the other way I decide which to ride is which is actually working :roll: . Right now out of the 4 bikes I have, only the retro fixed is on the road with the others all awaiting attention (tomorrow is bike surgery day!)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I have 4 bikes, though one is currently being used by the wife for Commuting and the other has been given to her for when we hit the MTB trails.

There is a reason I use Trusty Rusty for commuting, had 2 bikes stolen from work and I doubt the MTB wouldn't be safe enough for a trail after being used for my commute all winter.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Let's see: I have three bikes...at the moment one of them's waiting on a new rear wheel as the freehub's died, another one's getting some TLC in Tuscany, and the third one had a full service Wednesday so I had to use PT that day. Which was slower than me on the exact same route. Good job n+1 is getting built next week, methinks.....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I need another bike. Stupid kids and their constant need for food and clothing :(
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    We all need more than one bike... until it gets stolen.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Sorry but why do you need a reason - N+1 - its the LAW
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    There is an amendment to the N+1 rule for married men

The correct number of bike to own is S-1, where a S is the number of bikes which will result in separation. S is also known as the 'Suitcase Coefficient'
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    andy83 wrote:

Does that mean I can get the European Court of Human Rights to force the government to:

1. pay me more money so I can buy a second bike?
    2. give me a bigger flat so I can store two bikes inside?

Other than that I'm afraid I'm stuck with one bike for the forseeable future.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    hells wrote:
    I have 6 bikes but I am thinking N-1 as 6 bikes in one bedroom on the 3rd floor is awkward. No bf to complain about them but then men mostly seem amused to find bike tools etc amongst the girly stuff

An 'odd' number of bikes is not allowed :lol:
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Quite sensible to have more than 1 commuting bike, to allow for maintenance time and so on.

Cheaper to have 2 bikes than be ripped off by SW Train fares or pay through the nose for Evans to fix it more promptly than I can manage.

So who needs an excuse? All you need is space.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • andy83
    Porgy wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

Does that mean I can get the European Court of Human Rights to force the government to:

1. pay me more money so I can buy a second bike?
    2. give me a bigger flat so I can store two bikes inside?

Other than that I'm afraid I'm stuck with one bike for the forseeable future.

I wish it was possible.

If it wasnt for cycle to work i doubt id have either the bikes I have got, but im very grateful and after getting bike stolen last year i built myself just so glad i have two