Is this normal behaviour?

joebatz
joebatz Posts: 32
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Ive been commuting to work since we changed the clocks in March, my original journey was a 20 mile round trip.
But now im riding around 12 to 15 miles in to work and anything between 15 to 30 miles back home. So im riding daily at least 30 miles when i only need to do 20 miles.
This cant be normal.
Does anyone else add extra miles just for extra excercise and just for the fun of it ?

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm pretty much take a longer route home every time I commute as it's a nicer run once I clear the A60. It's not much further but I like the change of scenery it affords me
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Absolutely it's perfectly normal. If completely inexplicable to most people.
    Non-cyclists just don't understand.

I'm currently riding to work 3 days a week, 25 or so miles each way, when the direct route is only 12/13 miles each way :-)

I'll tag on a bit more or lop a bit off depending.
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I'm riding a 38 mile round trip from home to work, so sounds pretty normal to me!
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    Check out the SC Stats thread

It's not normal, but you're not the only one.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    joebatz wrote:
    Ive been commuting to work since we changed the clocks in March, my original journey was a 20 mile round trip.
    But now im riding around 12 to 15 miles in to work and anything between 15 to 30 miles back home. So im riding daily at least 30 miles when i only need to do 20 miles.
    This cant be normal.
    Does anyone else add extra miles just for extra excercise and just for the fun of it ?

"Normal" commute = 20.8 miles each way
    yesterday, for example 24.1 in, 29.4 home
    this morning 26.6 in................

However I'm told this is not normal :wink:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Perfectly normal......

For me commute is 7.5 each way.
    Way home has gone from 7.5 to 44 miles depending on weather.
    Usually do a fair bit more.

Starting yesterday, have been doing 14ish on way in, just for the hell of it. Want to do even more... maybe up to 25....

A lot of people do not understand it, they just don't get it.... I NEED to do it...
    I now need a cycle after getting up in the morning, a good long one, just to make me feel normal. Then later, I NEED another one, again they have been getting longer and harder...
    During the day, all I can think of is my next cycle, what hills I will attack, what gear I will be in.

My weekend just passed in a flash, a haze of roads, cars and grinding gears.... 166 miles on the bike, and it was over. Monday came and I rose from my bed, head hurting, heart pumping, muscles stiff.... but the first thing I needed was a cycle....

Perfectly normal!!

:shock: :shock:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I suppose it's more normal than driving the gym :roll:
  • joebatz
    You chaps are making me feel normal again, so me comtemplating my route home and planning a 30 mile trip home just for the sake of it is perfectly normal behaviour.
    this cycling lark is extremely addictive :lol:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    NFC - Normal For Cyclists
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Tough question.

What is "normal"?

Is that desireable anyway?

For me, 3 miles to work and anywhere between 3 and 50 miles back.

3 miles = torential downpour. I am that wimp :oops:
    50 miles = sunny and wind free :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • I don't like to extend my commute to work, in order to maximise my sleep time, but on the way home I will try and cycle around, elongating the route :)
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    this is far from normal. You are doing less then 200% of what is required!

Just kidding.

Yeah I think its very much the norm for cyclists. I only need to do 2 miles each way but I ride 5.4, then add extenstions onto my extended ride.

My other half thinks I'm absolutly mad..
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Sailorchick
    Sailorchick Posts: 202
    Absolutely normal. My direct route is 3.5miles, longest commute home so far is 45 miles. Everyone at work thinks I'm nuts (even hubby was a bit shocked at that one too)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I don't extend my commute, but only because maximising my time with my baby girl is very, very slightly more important than cycling. Very, very, very slightly.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Absolutely normal - no question.

Even used to do it in the car, when I drove, but that was so that I didn't get blasé about the roads I was on.
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    will3 wrote:
    I suppose it's more normal than driving the gym :roll:

I cycle to the gym. How does that compute?
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    I'm pretty much sure to change my route to longer and better when I get my new bike too. The one I had was just stressing me out too much and also not long enough to get into it, advice from on here has helped me sort my mind out :D
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    hisoka wrote:
    I'm pretty much sure to change my route to longer and better when I get my new bike too. The one I had was just stressing me out too much and also not long enough to get into it, advice from on here has helped me sort my mind out :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh6pZQX22CQ

that goes for everyone
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Route to work for me is 7 miles, scenic route home via Richmond Park is 23 miles :)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Isn't this question just like walking into a weight watchers meet and asking "Do I look fat in this?"
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • joebatz
    Isn't this question just like walking into a weight watchers meet and asking "Do I look fat in this?"
    Does my bum look big in these lycra padded shorts? was my next question :lol:
  • joebatz wrote:
    You chaps are making me feel normal again, so me comtemplating my route home and planning a 30 mile trip home just for the sake of it is perfectly normal behaviour.

You are perfectly normal :roll:

It is when you start altering your route to take in the biggest hills that it starts becoming abnormal :? :lol: :oops:
  • Kieran_Burns
    joebatz wrote:

It is when you start altering your route to take in the biggest hills that it starts becoming abnormal :? :lol: :oops:

Oooo..... :?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Not normal at all as I like to get home and spend time with my family and have dinner!

(But then again I do tend to go out at 10pm for a nice 50 miler at least once during the working week!) :wink:
    Still breathing.....
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    joebatz wrote:
    Or maybe because there's a silly commuting competition being run at the moment by TfL...
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    joebatz wrote:

Ah well, who wants to be the same as everyone else anyway? :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    joebatz wrote:

The climb of the Crow Road and the Khyber Pass both have been added to commutes home!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I will get really worried when they are added to my commutes to work!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    You'd be letting the side down if you didn't add extra miles.

It's when you're justifying your third bike on the basis of the extra miles you really need to seek help.

Bob
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    but Beverick I would have thought the third bike is completely justifiable as the other two will have components about to retire. No? :lol:
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Cafewanda wrote:
    but Beverick I would have thought the third bike is completely justifiable as the other two will have components about to retire. No? :lol:

er, having spent £350 on the hybrid in April only to break the MTB last weekend(fortunately I had a spare but warn rear derailure) only to find the wear indicators showing through on the road-bike last night (with a £2-300 like-for-like replacement cost) i'd say three bikes is a couple too few.

Cheap hobby this cycling.

Bob