Anyone on here done the Dunwich Dynamo?

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm thinking about doing it and want to know what its like?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Just the once, last year. Awesome.

Got lucky on a couple of counts tho', which are worth mentioning. Firstly, I made decent enough progress during the first half (like, no pub stops) to make it to the half way feed before it got busy. Might've waited ten mins or so for coffee, soup and some bread, but by the time I'd finished the queue was out the door, across the car park and into the road. Given that they were only catering for 500 (out of the estimated 1,000+ that started) a lot of people won't have got fed.

Secondly, I had no idea how I was gonna get back. Heard that the 'official' transport was a bit of a pain (no disrespect to the organisers, who pull off nothing short of a miracle considering they still take bookings the evening before) and was planning to ride somewhere else with the vague hope of catching a train. Was fortunate to be chatting to someone along those lines in the queue for breakfast within earshot of a Dulwich Paragon rider who mentioned they might have a spare seat on their coach. Mine for a measly 25 quid.

The ride itself was fantastic. Despite losing the 30+ people I was supposed to be riding with almost immediately cos of traffic and general chaos, I recognised someone passing us, caught up with him and we flew through the first 50 miles. I suddenly noticed he'd dropped off my back wheel about 10 miles before the half way point (cig/piss break, I found out later).

Second half was quite surreal. Roads were suddenly very quiet after setting off again, and ended up riding with a couple of other gents who'd been doing a similar sort of pace for a while. Hardly saw anyone else between there and Dunwich, arriving on the beach at about 4:30. Twenty minutes before sun-up, and only about a dozen people there ahead of us.

Advice then, is not to hang around for the first 60 miles, and make sure you get to the half way point in decent time if you want food without the hassle of waiting for ages - or worse - not getting anything at all.

Assuming the route will be the same as last year, get yourself familiar with it in advance. Garmin is obviously ideal, but failing that I'd print out either a map and/or detailed directions. The cue sheets handed out at the start do work if you pay close attention to them, but miss a turning or something and you risk being a bit screwed.

Don't rely on being as spawny as me when it comes to getting home. Problem is, if you follow my suggestion above about being quick early on, chances are you'll get to the coast early as well. If you plan to take the organised coach back you're looking at hanging around till about 3pm, which could be a pain if it's cold and wet. Local train services are obviously a gamble, and I reckon the best bet might be to ride to some random station in the opposite direction to London in the hope that you'll get yerself and bike on a train before everyone else. Other option of course is to eat, HTFU and ride back.

At any rate, it's all well worth the effort for this...

CIMG1283sm.jpg
  • coshgirl66
    coshgirl66 Posts: 45
    I did the DD last year with three other friends, and can't recommend it enough. Alas I was supposed to go this July, but booked hols before I knew the date :( Anyway, make sure you bring loads of those energy gel bars as they'll give you a real life at 5am when it's starting to rain and you realise there's still 20-odd miles to go. There's a fab cafe open on the beach where you can go for a fry up before having a well-earned snooze in the sun too :P As for getting back, we got the train, but went quite late in the afternoon, as I have a friend who lives nearby
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Have intended to do it for the last three years, but always been conflicted out. Each year there are really useful threads over on the road sections of the forum. In addition to points made above, advice seems to be get *really* good lights because once you have left London the lanes can become pretty dark, take as much of your own food as possible, book return transport early, and take a towel for a swim on the beach. Oh, and a couple of years back someone had a bike nicked when they stopped for a pee so be mindful while still in London.
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    Energy gels? Arriving at 4.30am? What's this, the sportive version? :lol:

I've done it a few times, and this I have learned:

There is no point trying to arrive early. You will just be on a cold beach in the dark instead of a warm beach in the sun.

The food at the halfway point isn't really worth queuing for. Last time there was camping-stove action and flapjacks.

The fry up at the end is great, but be prepared to wait a while.

The buses back are fine if you book a place, but don't take your best bike if you go for that option: they don't load with the most care I've ever seen.

The period just after dawn is the coldest. Take clothes. More clothes than you thought.

Have good lights. And set the rear to permanent not flashing, or you will put someone's retina out.

The first stage through the wilds of east London is a bit grim. Hang on in there. It gets nicer.

There are two pubs open on the way out. Take advantage. Or bring a hip flask.

100 miles is a long way for some people and for others it's a bimble in the park. There will be people there on silly bikes, or dressed as giant caterpillars or something. These people have done it a dozen times and routinely ride centuries for fun before work. They are not trying to make you feel inadequate when you reach 60 miles and feel like your legs have been set in concrete.

These are the same people who will blithely tell you how flat the route is as you're grannying up the hill in Finchingfield. Smile. They'll tow you.

Chat to other people. They're nice.

It's the middle of the night. Bail out options include eyewateringly expensive taxis. Just keep pedalling and when the sun rises you'll suddenly feel fantastic again.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    CW adds DD to wishlist for 2011.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    What everyone else said.

- bring jacket, the year I did it, it got quite cold.
    - don't get there too early
    - try and organise your own way back (had to wait for hours for the bus, which took forever)
    - bring your own food (got fed at halfway, but not upto much)

Otherwise a great event.
    exercise.png
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Its good if the weather's nice. Standing under a tree at 4 in the morning in a torrential downpour, then arriving at a cold wet beach at 7am and having to wait for about 6 hours for a bus back isn't the most fun in the world...

If I did it again I would set off a lot later, probably around midnight, and get there in time for breakfast. Its very flat compared to the average sportive, loads of fixed wheels, even the odd unicycle, I rode my MTB with no trouble - I'd second the recommendation for good lights, my front one failed in the downpour so I had to follow wheels (or rear lights in fact) a lot of the way which wasn't ideal in the dark!
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Finished four times.

Long but fun, Whatever you do, carry food and drink, ride at your own speed and enjoy the experience.

If you're likely to finish some time before 12 noon, organise or plan your transport back. One option is to cycle back to Ipswich, where there are plenty of trains to London and some to Cambridge and points west. This gives you a 250km round trip!!!