broken heel bone

MattFT
MattFT Posts: 178
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

Taken out by a car door yesterday on Hyde Park Gate going east around 7.15pm. Thanks to all the cyclists who stopped and checked I was OK. Thankfully due to a protest outside the Israeli embassy there were lots of police around and the driver immediately admitted responsibility. Bad news is I've fractured by heel bone and I'm on crutches now for 2 months plus. I'm considering not just a claim for the damage to my beloved Condor, but also some compensation. Has anyone got any experience of London-based solicitors with experience of these sorts of cases? I'm going to give LCC a phone as well, but wanted any personal recommendations as well.
FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
Genesis Day One Disc - commuter

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Sorry to hear about that, what a pain in the..... heel.

I'd also drop a line to the CTC, they have good legal eagles even if you're not a member.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Sorry to hear that, I hope it didn't hurt too much and that you get back on the bike soon.

I got taken out by a stupid driver a few years ago and ended up needing physiotherapy twice a week for about 9 months as well as bike repairs.

I called one of the "injury lawyers 4 u" type companies that I saw on TV and they got all my physio and repairs to the bike paid for and compensation £s for me.

It takes a while, but keep on it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Ouch - bad luck. I split my calcaneus in two following a climbing accident about 15yrs ago. Very painful, but it mended with no lasting problems.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    MODS - please can we have a new sub-section for all these "boohoohoo I got knocked off and now want to scam as much cash as I possibly can" threads?

They don't half block up the board. Thanks.
    <a>road</a>
  • MattFT
    thanks guys. According to the consultant, the most painful bone to break in your leg. That said, I have so many opiate painkillers, I'm not going to mind too much until I run out of them :wink:

I'll give CTC a call, thanks for the suggestion LiT.

My Condor R.I.P.

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    MattFT wrote:
    thanks guys. According to the consultant, the most painful bone to break in your leg. That said, I have so many opiate painkillers, I'm not going to mind too much until I run out of them :wink:

I'll give CTC a call, thanks for the suggestion LiT.

I wasn't going to say anything, but when I broke mine the doctor said that after his neck, the heel bone was the thing he would least like to break. Happy crutching :?
  • MattFT
    MODS - please can we have a new sub-section for all these "boohoohoo I got knocked off and now want to scam as much cash as I possibly can" threads?

If they annoy you that much, ignore them and don't post a reply. And I'm not planning on scamming anyone. I'm going to need some repairs to my bike, and I had my shoes, socks and shorts cut off in A&E. I've spent money on taxis back from the hospital and I'm going to start to lose wages soon. Why shouldn't the gentleman who caused the accident pay for that (or at least his insurance company)?

My Condor R.I.P.

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Yeah defo claim for injury. I fractured my heelbone, into the sub-taloid joint, and it's had a lasting effect on my life. Only mine was my own fault jumping into a swimming pool.

p.s. for others reading this topic, never ride in the door zone. Here's one where I almost got caught out, except I wasn't riding in the door zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJcwSCHavXE
  • MattFT
    blimey, changed your life? What were the lasting effects? Nervous now...

My Condor R.I.P.

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I guess that depends on how much damage you've sustained. Essentially I lost a lot of side-side flexibility in the sub taloid joint, and gained a whole lot of joint pain - mine fractured into the joint, and took a lot of connective tissue damage as well. It's much better than it ever was, fixed mostly by the large amount of skating I do, but for a few years I couldn't walk much without substantial pain. Even now there's a visible difference in the muscle mass of my calves.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

Easy there fella. It's not a case of scamming. If you, your bike and your kit were damaged thanks to some muppet driver I'm sure you'd want some compo! It's not like it's undeserved.

I'm buggered if I'm gonna pay for all the expense my getting knocked off has caused me.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Quite. It's not as though such threads even are 'clogging up the board' when compared to the endless 'What tyres/pedals?' and 'Should I get a hybrid or a road bike?' threads.

[minirant] There's a search option on the BR Forums you know. Maybe have a quick search before you ask the same question AGAIN! [/minirant].
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • MattFT
    rjsterry wrote:

[minirant] There's a search option on the BR Forums you know. Maybe have a quick search before you ask the same question AGAIN! [/minirant].

A fair mini-rant, mia culpa :oops:

My Condor R.I.P.