Tanlines...

bonsaiman
bonsaiman Posts: 19
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Hello,
I have just been out for a 4 hour ride today.
It felt great!
Would like to know what you people use on your skin,
for the sunny weather?
I simply used a tanning oil factor 15 and put it on my arms, legs and face.
It's great to use as helps stimulate blood flow for the muscles.
Only trouble is I had bugs stick to me! And looked mega dirty after!
Mark

Comments

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I usually try and get out as early in the year as possible in short sleeves, start building up a tan. If I must, just normal suncream.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    bonsaiman wrote:

Mark

How can tanning oil stimulate the flow of blood to your muscles. Any oil that can penetrate the skin and get into your bloodstream wont give you a tan it will give you a bad case of death.

Unless thats the look your after, though not many Goths ride bikes it makes the eye shadow run
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    Dont listen to all these brands that say non sticky and dry formula ive tried them all, I work outside up ladders and on roofs getting covered in dirt and dust.

The only sun screen that doesnt attract dirt is Piz Buin its expensive but it works, you'll find it in Boots easily
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    bonsaiman wrote:
    Hello,
    I have just been out for a 4 hour ride today.
    It felt great!
    Would like to know what you people use on your skin,
    for the sunny weather?
    Only trouble is I had bugs stick to me! And looked mega dirty after!
    Mark

tanninng oil not good for outdoor pursuits in the sun
    its like greasing bacon before putting it under the grill :lol:
    better off with non greasy quick absorbing lotion.
  • I have the bug problem with suncream too :shock: I use factor 50 and it leaves a nice thick layer for the bugs to get stuck to - it also makes a mess of leather sofas :oops:
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    if you are trying to protect yourself you need more than factor 15, 30 at least.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you've got the ginger gene you'll need to get some factor 75. And a wide brimmed helmet. And possibly some white dulux.

Someone should produce a tiny tanning booth for cyclists, you just put your hands in it and it balances out the tan.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    I did lol @ the oil stimulating blood flow to the msucles. 2 in 1 sunscreen... erm... I think not.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm a ginger, so I just cover up. No other option really, even factor 50 doesn't cut it :cry:
  • BorisSpencer
    BorisSpencer Posts: 786
    There seems to be a number of posts on this thread from riders based in Scotland, can I ask, do you even know what the sun is?
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • There seems to be a number of posts on this thread from riders based in Scotland, can I ask, do you even know what the sun is?

D'ye ken what a Glasgae kiss is?

But seriously, the weather's been great up here the past couple of weeks; I've even used sun cream this week!*

*Once. Unnecessarily
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There seems to be a number of posts on this thread from riders based in Scotland, can I ask, do you even know what the sun is?

That's why we're qualified here, because of our limited exposure to the sun, when it does come out our transparent skin needs extra protection, otherwise we burst into flames.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Don't forget about us poor buggers in North Wales either. Sonwdonia's just one big cloud magnet.
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Just remember to take the sunscreen with you on your ride and re-apply as necessary as it will wear off over time - I got caught out the other week :(
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I have ridiculous tan lines after an all-day epic ride on Bank Holiday Monday. The weather was overcast when we left but heated up.... We didn't think about sun tan lotion until we got home and saw how pink our arms were :shock:

Am wearing a sleeveless top in work today and I look ridiculous. White hands, brown arms with a line across them and white shoulders. Arrrrgh :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    hoochylala wrote:
    Just remember to take the sunscreen with you on your ride and re-apply as necessary as it will wear off over time - I got caught out the other week :(

Nope.

Riemann P20.

Apply it once just about 1/2 an hour before going out in the sun...it will last all day.

It doesn't attract dirt or bugs, because it isn't sticky..totally sinks into the skin...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    P20 is very good but you really have to make sure you get every single square inch... I have seen some horrible burns where people have accidentally missed a bit, and then sat out in the sun all day assuming that they are all protected (normally you would reapply you get any missed bits the second time etc) :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Anonymous
    That Riemann P20 sounds good, but it only goes up to factor 20, unfortunately :(