Superstar lock on grips - help

underdog
underdog Posts: 292
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I never thought I'd need to ask advice on fitting a pair of grips, but here I am :oops:

It's a simple problem, the end caps don't seem to secure no matter what I try. Are they suppose to clamp onto the bar and then grip, or just the plastic of the inside of the grip? Either way I can't get it done, no matter how tight or lose I do it, they will come off with the slightest pull.

This is for the end caps, they clamp to hold the grips on are fine.

Comments

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    The bar ends/plugs? Like these:?

m-part-carbon-mtb-bar-plugs.jpg

They just plugs into the handlebars with 1 push.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I'd recommend getting the proper end caps instead, they're nicer. Also, I find the push in ones always seem to get mangled if you have to take them out.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Are these what you are talking about end caps they are supposed to replace one of the lock rings. You should have 1 lock ring which goes in board ie next to controls and the end cap assemble evrything. The end cap is quite a tight fit. Slide grip on as far as it will go and nip up the lock ring bolt and then the end cap bolt. If the end cap bolt wont tighten you might have stripped the thread its easily done from memory its only a 2.5mm allen bolt.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • underdog
    stubs wrote:
    Are these what you are talking about end caps they are supposed to replace one of the lock rings. You should have 1 lock ring which goes in board ie next to controls and the end cap assemble evrything. The end cap is quite a tight fit. Slide grip on as far as it will go and nip up the lock ring bolt and then the end cap bolt. If the end cap bolt wont tighten you might have stripped the thread its easily done from memory its only a 2.5mm allen bolt.

That's exactly what they are.

The bolt turns and tightens the little metal shim inside, they simply don't clamp onto the grip at all, you can literally pull them off with very slight pressure.

The lock ring tightens vice like, but the end cap screws on in a much odder way, it doesn't seem to have anything to grip onto on the grip it self, and wont go over the metal of the actual bar.
  • bike-a-swan
    Ah, right, you already have those. I just unscrewed the bolt and pushed them on. Didn't seem to be a problem.
  • underdog
    Ah, right, you already have those. I just unscrewed the bolt and pushed them on. Didn't seem to be a problem.

Onto? The end of the grip, or do they go onto the grip AND the bar? Does that make sense? Just the grip and they don't clamp on, and I can't get them over the bar due to the shim inside that the screw tightens, even if I take the screw out.
  • ethanurwin
    ethanurwin Posts: 16
    Mine just slid onto the end of the grips it will only go on in two positions because of the two bits that stick off the end then just tighten up the alan key and its on as solid as a rock
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    Thye dont grip the bar they grip the grip so to say which in turn grips the bar, either your bars are a fraction smaller than the grips (how easy did the grips slide on, I had to twist and push mine om) or the grips are faulty doubt it.

can you get pics of your bars with grips installed but without the end cap in place just incase there is something blindingly obvious your missing
  • stubs
    4663676997_da55b56ceb.jpg

The end of the grip should look like this. The end cap is shaped to fit on so that it buts up tightly to the rubber of the grip. When you have the cap in place slide the whole grip on bar till it wont go any further then do up allan bolts. If the little metal plate under the allan bolt is stopping the grip going on just use a screwdriver to push it in slightly you might have deformed it by doing up th bolt without the grip being on the bar. The little metal plate is pushed onto the bar to clamp the cap it is there to stop the bolt crushing a carbonfibre bar.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bike-a-swan
    The grip goes on so the ends of the two plastic tabs line up with the end of the bar. The cap should then have a recess that matches the 'circle with two tabs' shape. Push it on. It may be stiff, I just took mine off to check and ended up smacking myself in the stomach when it finally came off, after much pulling. :oops: Make sure the screw is as loose as it'll get.
  • underdog
    Thanks for all the advice, I can't try it as am at work but I have tried everything today and nothing worked, the grips went on my bars fairly easily to be honest, very little force needed.

The screw bit you tighten doesn't seem to squeeze the grips tighter (on or off the bars) on either grip (I can't imagine a pair being faulty) You know I may just dig out the super glue :D
  • stubs
    underdog wrote:
    The screw bit you tighten doesn't seem to squeeze the grips tighter (on or off the bars) on either grip (I can't imagine a pair being faulty) You know I may just dig out the super glue :D

The screw in the cap doesnt tighten on the grip it clamps on the bars by pressing on the small metal plate. These grips are a piece of piss to fit you either have faulty caps or you are doing something seriously wrong.
  • underdog
    stubs wrote:
    underdog wrote:

The screw in the cap doesnt tighten on the grip it clamps on the bars by pressing on the small metal plate. These grips are a piece of wee-wee to fit you either have faulty caps or you are doing something seriously wrong.

From what you just said, it seems the little metal plates have been bent and thus won't go onto the bars, both bolts were fully in when I opened them today, so I think you have solved my problem, I will let you know tomorrow for sure.

Thank you, I thought I was going mad :lol:
  • underdog
    Thanks for the time, patience and advice guys, got them sorted thanks to stubs. Took the metal shims out, shaped them and bang all worked.

Thank you, and they look the mutts as well :lol:
  • stubs
    The good thing about Superstar grips is when the rubber wears out you can buy the grip part as a spare for £4.99