frame respray

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited June 2010 in MTB general
my maxlight is starting to look a little tired now after 3 and half years of lots of abuse and little love, so im thinkinng of getting it resprayed. i hear a company called argos can do this, so has anyone used them before, what is involved and how much would it cost???

cheers

Comments

• Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Your better off getting it powdercoated, it lasts longer and can be cheaper too

I've never used argos, but only ever heard good reviews
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Think it's about £110 to get it sprayed by Argos.

That's purely an off-the-top-of-the-head figure though. They do have prices up on their site.

Argos Racing cycles I think.

Thinking about getting the 456 powdercoated myself, so I'll let you know if / when I find a good local one.
  • stayhigh65
    stayhigh65 Posts: 611
    If you go the powder coating route check and see if there are any local car body shops in your area. Some will do a bike frame as a one off job for not a lot of cash :wink:

Have a look online for a RAL colour chart as this will give you the latest colour codes.

There is a place called WINDRIDGE COATINGS in Kent that do powder coatings that look very nice. £110 with fancy finish 8)
    Wow great ship man. Looks like a fish, flies like a fish, steers like a cow.

HECKLER
    exercise.png
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Guy on Ebay offer a pick up/return service for about £100 or so.

There was a Klicks Coatings here, now called Celtic Coatings, but their site is down.

Had 3 bikes done before, 2 ok, one not so good...

I contacted Hammerite for info last week, and they gave me details of a Powdercoating business, so I'll look it up if you are desperate.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Most local powdercoaters will charge you in the region of £40 but want you to strip and mask the frame, which is a PITA.

Argos you go to your lbs, give them the frame, it comes back in about 6 weeks (atm) beautiful. I've just sent my inbred to be done, all the work we've sent previously has been excellent, including some emergency frame repairs that were turned around in 3 days for no extra charge.

On a mtb i'd advise the 2pack epoxy as it is a LOT harder than the paint they regularly use, which will be wrecked fairly quickly as it tends to chip even with many many layers of lacquer.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Don`t know where you are realman,but I`m planning on sending my old steel road bike to these guys:

http://www.armourtexltd.co.uk/cycles.html
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Don`t know where you are realman,but I`m planning on sending my old steel road bike to these guys:

http://www.armourtexltd.co.uk/cycles.html

These are the guys I've been recommended too. Seems dead cheap, and they apparently do very good work.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I'm due for an operation at the end of this year and fancy having my old 06 Enduro repainted then, I'll be out for 3 weeks (at least) anyway, otherwise I couldn't be without my bike.

They did a beautiful job on my mate's A-Line. He had some custom grafix, two tone paint job and a bit of a charge for removing headset etc and the bill was around the £200 mark I think.

Like the idea of going via my LBS, I know they're charge me less than Argos to remove the barings / headset etc.

Just have to think of how I want it now.....Green with White Swingarm is winning at the moment..