panniers

Porgy
Porgy Posts: 4,525
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I need a new pannier. I want one that is waterproof and that I can carry my laptop in - I also want pockets for things like keys and wallet.

Price no object at this stage.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Altura orkneys. Had them for 5 years, still like new, very waterproof, outside pocket (also waterproof as long as the pannier is not so full that the flap doesn't cover it) with a divider for small things.
  • Porgy
    Altura orkneys. Had them for 5 years, still like new, very waterproof, outside pocket (also waterproof as long as the pannier is not so full that the flap doesn't cover it) with a divider for small things.

I take it you can fit your compaq inside it comfortably? As we do have the same laptop. don;t you know.
  • lost_in_thought
    Porgy wrote:

I take it you can fit your compaq inside it comfortably? As we do have the same laptop. don;t you know.

Yep! :lol:

I have a little neoprene sleeve for it as well though. There's no divider inside the pannier for laptops.
  • Porgy
    Porgy wrote:

I have a little neoprene sleeve for it as well though. There's no divider inside the pannier for laptops.

well I've been sticking my laptop in a sleeve inside my current no longer waterproof Altura which is probably of similar dimensions.

How long have you had the Orkney then and is the waterproofing holding up?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have an Altura Urban Briefcase but I find it bulky and heavy, yet without much interior space - The waterproofing relies on a double layer of fabric. I now use my Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus bags. Ortlieb do some "briefcase" panniers, like this http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... uctID=9508 and it would be my choice.
  • lost_in_thought
    Porgy wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

well I've been sticking my laptop in a sleeve inside my current no longer waterproof Altura which is probably of similar dimensions.

As per my OP ;)

5 years... still very waterproof...
  • Porgy
    edited June 2010
    alfablue wrote:
    I have an Altura Urban Briefcase but I find it bulky and heavy, yet without much interior space - The waterproofing relies on a double layer of fabric. I now use my Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus bags. Ortlieb do some "briefcase" panniers, like this http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... uctID=9508 and it would be my choice.

edit - is it me or do both those links go to the same place? :?
  • Porgy
    Porgy wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

As per my OP ;)

oh yeah...dur!

Trying to do four things at once - which is a lot for a bloke. :lol:
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Porgy wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

edit - is it me or do both those links go to the same place? :?
    Yes, co*k up on the linking front :oops:

I meant: http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_ ... ts_id=8298
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621

I think I was very unlucky in buying a pair of dodgy Orkneys. Within a year they were coming off at the seams after a few trips to the supermarket. Very disappointed I was.

I'm glad I read this, because I was wondering whether to trust Altura again (previous Altura panniers were very good) or buy Ortlieb, which are great, but what do these people have against pockets?

Thanks.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Only one choice - Carradice Super C. Made in England and fairly indestructable. Pretty sure you'd get through several pairs of Alturas or Ortliebs before the Carradice ones wore out.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-09-34248
    Faster than a tent.......
  • lost_in_thought

I think I was very unlucky in buying a pair of dodgy Orkneys. Within a year they were coming off at the seams after a few trips to the supermarket. Very disappointed I was.

I'm glad I read this, because I was wondering whether to trust Altura again (previous Altura panniers were very good) or buy Ortlieb, which are great, but what do these people have against pockets?

Thanks.

Oh no! What a shame! I have to say, there is really very little to show that mine aren't new. And I know, the pockets are a big reason why I don't care for Ortliebs.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506

Did you get the 56 or the 34s? I've just ... "accidentally" ordered the 56s (20% off pannier bags at Wiggle today, y'see). Now I'm wondering how much clobber I can get in them. How much room is there in one with your laptop in there? (and how big is that laptop). Or I suppose it could be measured in bottles of beer/wine...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • lost_in_thought
    davis wrote:

Did you get the 56 or the 34s? I've just ... "accidentally" ordered the 56s (20% off pannier bags at Wiggle today, y'see). Now I'm wondering how much clobber I can get in them. How much room is there in one with your laptop in there? (and how big is that laptop). Or I suppose it could be measured in bottles of beer/wine...

I've only got the widdle ones... It's a big laptop! It's a presario CQ61 - CBA to find out just how big...

And to give you an idea, I'm going off on a wee tour tomorrow, and am packing up stuff. I've got my tent (poles are sticking out a bit), sleeping bag, plate, pillow, towel, torch, cutlery and pocket knife in one, and am wondering what to put in the other... Wine, perhaps.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    For my 10 pence worth I have a set of Ortlieb back roller classics like these
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ortlieb_Back_Roller_Classic_Panniers/5360007507/ (but in blue) and have had them for 2 years and used them every day for commuting + quite a bit of touring. Very hard wearing very waterproof (have had the half submerged whilst 'negotiating' a flooded road in Devon and didn't leak a drop. Not so good on pockets on the inside, just one small mesh one really.
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

Well you clearly haven't overloaded one side and leaned on a slippery surface then have you
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lost_in_thought
    Clever Pun wrote:

Well you clearly haven't overloaded one side and leaned on a slippery surface then have you

Oh I've loaded one side. Loaded one side good'n'proper. I just have better balance than you, lanky. :P
  • davis
    I've only got the widdle ones... It's a big laptop! It's a presario CQ61 - CBA to find out just how big...

A quick google and measuring this laptop suggests that thing is indeed huge.
    And to give you an idea, I'm going off on a wee tour tomorrow, and am packing up stuff. I've got my tent (poles are sticking out a bit), sleeping bag, plate, pillow, towel, torch, cutlery and pocket knife in one, and am wondering what to put in the other... Wine, perhaps.

Righto, order switched to the 34s, and it sounds like I can still fit the treasure of the Sierra Madre in there.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:

Oh I've loaded one side. Loaded one side good'n'proper. I just have better balance than you, lanky. :P

you weren't going fast enough, I skidded for ages and it scuffed up the bag real nice

That's one really good thing about panniers it did protect me nicely
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lost_in_thought
    davis wrote:

Righto, order switched to the 34s, and it sounds like I can still fit the treasure of the Sierra Madre in there.

Yeah, I haven't yet had an occasion where I've thought 'damn it these aren't big enough'. I guess the bigger ones would guarantee this never happens, though.
  • I have the Ortliebs too, I am well impressed, use them everyday for my commute
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I use one of these. Excellent. You can buy an insert for laptops.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/ortlieb- ... 23503.html
  • davis
    davis wrote:

Yeah, I haven't yet had an occasion where I've thought 'damn it these aren't big enough'. I guess the bigger ones would guarantee this never happens, though.

Yep, just picked up the 34s. Mahoosiff. Glad I didn't get the big 'uns now! ta!
  • KlausSA
    KlausSA Posts: 8
    Anybody got any ideas for bringing the groceries home ? looking for some decent size ones but no one seems to have anything useable :shock:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I have used Vaude aqua pro panniers for a couple of years and they seem pretty bombproof. they come in pairs, so are 2x25-litres.

They are symmetrical, so fit on either side and front or rear racks. Rigid backplate, very quick to put on and off and about as expensive as the Ortleib ones, which I have also heard are good.

I use one for my commute, and its twin for shopping (about a mile to the supermarket) and have several times managed 4-bottles of beer, 4-pints of milk, and 3-kg of flour in a single pannier - much heavier, and I have to use both to balance the weight.

Because I only use one for my commute, you can see which is getting the heaviest use as it is a bit more dusty.

I got them because the LBS also had an Avenir one, that fell to pieces in the shop when I asked to see how it went on the pannier rack. (No I didn't touch it, only the assistant).

EDIT:

These ones
  • lost_in_thought
    KlausSA wrote:
    Anybody got any ideas for bringing the groceries home ? looking for some decent size ones but no one seems to have anything useable :shock:

For grocery shopping, I actually use these:

11156L.jpg

http://www.basil.nl/gb/assortment/

You can put your bags straight into them, and they're completely invincible, and really easy to lift off the rack and carry inside with a nice handle.
  • KlausSA
    KlausSA Posts: 8
    The basket looks like a really cool idea - will pop into Ewans andsee if they can get me some. :D
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    jimmypippa wrote:
    I have used Vaude aqua pro panniers for a couple of years and they seem pretty bombproof. they come in pairs, so are 2x25-litres.

They are symmetrical, so fit on either side and front or rear racks. Rigid backplate, very quick to put on and off and about as expensive as the Ortleib ones, which I have also heard are good.

I use one for my commute, and its twin for shopping (about a mile to the supermarket) and have several times managed 4-bottles of beer, 4-pints of milk, and 3-kg of flour in a single pannier - much heavier, and I have to use both to balance the weight.

Because I only use one for my commute, you can see which is getting the heaviest use as it is a bit more dusty.

I got them because the LBS also had an Avenir one, that fell to pieces in the shop when I asked to see how it went on the pannier rack. (No I didn't touch it, only the assistant).

EDIT:

These ones

+1 for Vaude Aqua range of panniers. The rears have side pockets. They are indestructible. Really easy to open and close, and to get on or off a rack front or rear.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    For supermarket shopping the Carradice Super C are strong, capcious, and well made.
    The only downside is that you may get carried away with how much you can carry and before you know it you're daydreaming of a Surly Big Dummy.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Super C has to be it.

Though for shopping in the dry, the Basil baskets or my Embra trailer (Bobyak-a-like) are brilliant.
    Riding on 531