commuting baggage

kona_matt
kona_matt Posts: 475
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm wondering what bag would be best for carrying my gear to work. I really don't fancy fitting panniers to my new beautiful carbon machine so am currently using the rucksack i use for mtbing. However, now that the sun is starting to appear more often i'm finding that my back is getting very damp! I'd also quite like the option to carry a bit more stuff than the bare essentials so want something a bit bigger (and more waterproof) than the pack i have anyway.

So, i'm thinking new courier style bag, maybe this North Face one below, but am unsure whether it would be comfortable and stable enough for my 13 mile commute on a road bike.

1d0d67e1-225a-4321-ae0e-9b5f6f49e23d.jpg

Does anyone else use this sort of bag for a similar commute?
FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I really wouldn't for 13 miles... anything asymmetric knackers you over any decent distance unless you're getting off the bike often.

Try a post mounted rack, enough room for a few bits.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    It will be sweatier than your backpack, being waterproof. 13 miles is too far for this, panniers are the best, but what about a saddle bag? You can get some large ones - see Carradice.
  • kona_matt
    hmmm, been thinking, still don't really like the idea of attaching anything to the bike, not sure why really, it is just for commuting after all. the large saddle bags look like a good option, thanks.

i'm also thinking bigger rucksack. berghaus do a range of airflow packs where the main body of the bag is held away from your body so that air can flow between. my 60L pack is one of these and works well.

thanks guys.
  • kona_matt wrote:
    hmmm, been thinking, still don't really like the idea of attaching anything to the bike, not sure why really, it is just for commuting after all. the large saddle bags look like a good option, thanks.

i'm also thinking bigger rucksack. berghaus do a range of airflow packs where the main body of the bag is held away from your body so that air can flow between. my 60L pack is one of these and works well.

thanks guys.

I used to have a sweaty back but the Vaude bags that have the air flow back have stopped this problem. Something like this but depends on the size you need http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Vaude_Bike_Alpin_Air_25_+_5/5360050596/
  • kona_matt
    thanks, i'll have a look at those too
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Just go with the sweaty back! As long as you have a shower at the other end, what's the problem? Every now and then you have to wash the rucksack or it starts to stink just like sweaty clothing does, but you'll never find a bag that doesn't touch your body somewhere and cause sweatiness. Over extreme long distances I would go for panniers but for a 13 mile commute surely you'll be oK with a rucksack!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I've got a rucksack with a mesh airflow back and I'm not that much better off, maybe its my sit up and beg but the air really doesn't get there in enough quantity, I end up with a warm still air pocket between bag and back and still sweat, I also find it cuts room in the bag and puts more pressure through my shoulders with the more rigid frame used to support the mesh.

maybe a Carradice SQR system on the seatpost, you can get a decent range of bags that fit it and it's a matter of seconds to clip the bag on and off leaving a very unobtrusive block on the post.
  • kona_matt
    good point but if i can avoid a wet back then why not. i need a new bigger bag anyway.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I use a Lowe Alpine 25l backpack for a 13 mile commute. Nothing fancy. It gets washed once a week. I have showers at work so the sweaty back is part and parcel of the journey.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Made by Vaude, these are a good option for non-sweaty back carrying purposes:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 119c003128

There's a few different sizes.