UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
to my new commuter! :D

Picture002-1.jpg

I think I'm in love. :oops:

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Urgh - its got gears on it- you need to get that sorted out sharpish before it catches on
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Is that an old steel framed Orbea? How charming and splendid....
  • vorsprung wrote:

Why, yes it is! Columbus steel with internal cable-routings. It's larvely. I'm riding it home tonight as a test-run.

Edit: Oh, and I'm keeping the gears. ;)
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707

Picture002-1.jpg

Don't take it too far!!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7095134.stm
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • to my new commuter! :D

Picture002-1.jpg

Don't take it too far!!

They used a hybrid for the photo? That's disgusting!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Nice! looks like an enormous frame though! Yet you still have a lot of seat post showing. You must be very tall!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707

Picture002-1.jpg

Don't take it too far!!

Yes, but its got a great rack, and I am sure he could have used that in his defence.... :lol:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    vorsprung wrote:

Why, yes it is! Columbus steel with internal cable-routings. It's larvely. I'm riding it home tonight as a test-run.

Ahh Shimano RSX if I'm nit mistaken - a good sturdy setup. I am also a fan of the skinnier tube and find your new steed most pleasing to the eye. This is what a bicycle SHOULD look like. Dead jealous of your internal cable routing.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Ahh Shimano RSX if I'm nit mistaken - a good sturdy setup. I am also a fan of the skinnier tube and find your new steed most pleasing to the eye. This is what a bicycle SHOULD look like. Dead jealous of your internal cable routing.

Good eye, Sir! Should I mention the SunTour Superbe Pro Chainset whilst I'm about it?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    She shure is purddy, yessiree.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    Why not? I'm guessing a mid- to late-90s vintage. I may have to look up a chainset like that for my Giant, as the unbranded one I have is looking decidedly battered. What rear mech is that?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• It's the RX-100 7-speed rear mech. All seems to work very nicely. I was guessing roughly '92 myself, not sure but I think the Superbe Pro went out just after that.
  • rjsterry
    I had the RX100 on my Giant until the joints got so loose that it could almost change gear without moving the cable. A shame, as it was much better made and prettier than the Acera piece of stamped junk I have at the moment (although the latter does work perfectly well).
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    No no no.. you're doing it wrong!

With a classic bike like that you need to remove all the gears, chop the handlebars to around 3inches and remove any braking mechanisms. You then need to aquire a pair of skinny jeans and start drinking flat whites.

<---LFGSS is that way
    :D
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I always wonder whether they were really "shocked" or in actual fact laughed their asses off.
  • amnezia wrote:

With a classic bike like that you need to remove all the gears, chop the handlebars to around 3inches and remove any braking mechanisms. You then need to aquire a pair of skinny jeans and start drinking flat whites.

<---LFGSS is that way

You're quite right. The best way to keep a classic is to mutilate it. I think this is pretty safe, vertical drop-outs, you know. :P
  • rjsterry
    amnezia wrote:

<---LFGSS is that way

You're quite right. The best way to keep a classic is to mutilate it. I think this is pretty safe, vertical drop-outs, you know. :P

Zackly! Nothing says shameless crowd-follower like cutting your handlebars to a width narrower than your shoulders. And even Henri Desgrange, Grand High Sadist of Cycling eventually concluded that gears might be an improvement. Vive le dérailleur
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    'snice!

I like the yellow.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525

Picture002-1.jpg

Don't take it too far!!

Yes, but its got a great rack, and I am sure he could have used that in his defence.... :lol:

Not sure the BBC should have outed the victim like that. :x
  • Well now, that was jolly good fun! First run home on it revealed it to be fast as hell, a d really comfortable too.

Couple of niggles to sort out, but I am a very happy elephant.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Serious jealousy here :wink: Nice one UCE
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    That's a very nice frame. How did you come by it? Auction, good spot in a second hand shop, murdered a relative?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    rjsterry wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Officer-Crabtree.jpg

God Moaning. Zat is wounderfool butt of ongeneering, You could have a shat at booting all udders as you p*ss them by on the stroot.

Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    'snice!

I like the yellow.

+1

yellow looks great on bikes

on cars, not so much
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Right, all niggles are now solved. Brakes centered, gears adjusted and if anyone has a RSX left hand shifter which doesn't change down correctly and is stuck in the big-ring the solution is simple: WD40 the shite out of it. Works a treat now, just spray it into the bit where the gear changers are and wiggle them a bit. Went straight from working sometimes if you were lucky to working smooth as silk.

Excellent. :D
  • itsbruce wrote:
    That's a very nice frame. How did you come by it? Auction, good spot in a second hand shop, murdered a relative?

Good old eBay! The seller told me if he'd know how little it'd sell for, he'd have kept it! Poor bloke injured his back quite badly, was selling quite a fleet.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Officer-Crabtree.jpg

God Moaning. Zat is wounderfool butt of ongeneering, You could have a shat at booting all udders as you p*ss them by on the stroot.

:lol: Who win spooling mistook con raleigh moss thinks app.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Good old eBay! The seller told me if he'd know how little it'd sell for, he'd have kept it! Poor bloke injured his back quite badly, was selling quite a fleet.

Shame. I hope he's consoled by the thought it went to somebody who appreciates it. Must be cutting him up, to sell off his bikes.
  • rjsterry
    itsbruce wrote:

Shame. I hope he's consoled by the thought it went to somebody who appreciates it. Must be cutting him up, to sell off his bikes.

I'd think that was the best you could hope for when selling a bike like that - that it goes to someone who will appreciate it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite