Stuff needed for commuting

katg
katg Posts: 4
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi, I've started thinking about commuting to work, as it's only a couple miles.
But i could do with a bag, as i've found before that riding with a rucksack causes pain with my shoulder.
I've seen this one: http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... ?&id=13603
but has anyone got it or have opinions on it.
Also how does it fit, some websites have it as a handlebar bag, whilst others say pannier, would like it to be handlebar if possible, as i don't have any pannier racks on my bike, and not got any room to fit one really.

Thanks

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    This seems to be pannier fit You need to get a specific handlebar bag if that is what you want. Most bikes have room for a rack, even one that just fits on seat post, have you checked them out?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • katg
    oh right, i'll have a look, i'm not sure about being able to attach it to the seat post though as i've got crud race puck mudguards, and the rear takes up all the space showing on the seat post.

I guess i could remove the mudguard whilst in the city and remove the panniers whilst at home. Is there another way to attach panniers without using the seat post?
    Although the mud guard sits quite high, so i'm guessing this could be a problem

Sorry, never used a bike for travelling before, just messing around type stuff, so not used to all the stuff needed
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    If its only a couple of miles give it a go using a rucksack first to see how you get on.
    Minimise the amount of luggage you carry regularly - keep things at work. Have you got access to lockers?

What sort of bike have you got?
    Where do you live? If there is a bikeshop go in and tell them what you want to carry and what options they can offer you. Don't feel intimidated or pressured to buy on the spot.
  • katg
    SimonLyons wrote:
    If its only a couple of miles give it a go using a rucksack first to see how you get on.
    Minimise the amount of luggage you carry regularly - keep things at work. Have you got access to lockers?

What sort of bike have you got?
    Where do you live? If there is a bikeshop go in and tell them what you want to carry and what options they can offer you. Don't feel intimidated or pressured to buy on the spot.

Thanks, i'll see if i can find a shop and pop in around work.
    Locker wise, i've got a draw, so I was thinking if I leave some lunch stuff in there, then i wont need to take much else with me.
    May see if i can buy a very small rucksack, as i wont be as tempted to put loads of random stuff in it if i'm short on space and see how it goes just like that, and plan shopping trips around when i have the car.

I'm living in Basingstoke atm, and i was back at my parents last weekend, and picked my my mountain bike, its a land rover santiago. Which I thought was the best for road riding from the ones i have at home, other choices were a dual suspension generic and a krave narc down hill style one, which is a pain to ride sensibly
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    I use a rack bag now.

When I used to use a rucksack and wrap everything in plastic bags. It used to get very smelly to the point it wasn't allowed in the house.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    anyone else do a double take and think it said "Stuaff needed for communiting?" briefly mind.

I do like a good thread derailment :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    If you don't want the hassle of trying to fit a rack for panniers, then a small rucksack would be a good idea. I got one from either Lidl or Aldi - it was sold as a Camelbak style thing with a hydration pack, but scrotes had pinched the waterbag from inside, leaving the perfect small cycling rucksack.

Personally I would fit a rack though - I find cycling much easier when there's nothing on my back.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    CometGirl wrote:
    Personally I would fit a rack though - I find cycling much easier when there's nothing on my back.

This.

Perhaps more so in my case as I'm asthmatic, but I can't understand wanting to carry the luggage when your bike can do it for you.
    Riding on 531
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Clarion wrote:
    Perhaps more so in my case as I'm asthmatic, but I can't understand wanting to carry the luggage when your bike can do it for you.

I prefer my bike to always be the same weight so I learn/know how it always handles - my weight is managed separately as I pedal etc. When I cycled ages ago with panniers I severely disliked the weight shift and balance and every time since I've briefly tried them I have disliked the feeling - but each to their own :)

I too prefer a nice empty back but hey ho :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    edited June 2010
    For just lunch I'd say keep with a rucksack (will give you plenty of space for other stuff, and you probably have one you can at least try for a while without going out and spending dosh). I find a small saddlebag very useful for bike bits (keeps them on the bike, and stops them getting lost/mixed up with other stuff).

I know last year I was traipsing round with lunch, course stuff (books, stationary, folders) and clothes in a standard rucksack and bike stuff in the saddlebag. Was fine for short (<4.5miles) trips to uni every day.

Edit: Just read the OPs post properly. Ignore this idiot and buy paniers if it's hurting you.