...of cycling and England flags

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I am seriously considering attaching at least one England flag to my pannier rack to show support of the football team, am I alone in this?

Also has anyone done this in the past with any consequences? (good or bad)

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Nope. Saw a chap last week with one on his rack. Not for me though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Tempting. Ever so tempting...
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Tempting. Ever so tempting...

Would have thought an American one round your way would be more appropriate !
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    In East Lothian? :shock: I heard rumours that embittered Scotland fans are stocking up on Argentina shirts :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Ah, but I am an incomer. I reckon an England flag round here should drop my FCN to about -12. :D
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    In East Lothian? :shock: I heard rumours that embittered Scotland fans are stocking up on Argentina shirts :)

Chile for me..... :lol:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Hey UndercoverElephant, is the BeOne a semi-compact frame? A 53cm would be small right?

I'm tempted to get the carbon BeOne Race frame if the price is right.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    My GF got a text last night, something along the lines of:

The government are worried that men's penises are getting smaller so they have asked that any men with a 3 inch penis or smaller to please put a white flag with a red cross on their car.

KInd makes me laugh when I see a flag now!
  • Stevo_666
    Ah, but I am an incomer. I reckon an England flag round here should drop my FCN to about -12. :D
    Well you'll probably get a lot more people chasing after you on the commute :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Or Brazil, or Spain, or Germany..................

It's all about the banter, don't you know :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to wait until the group stages are over and see if your second choice team gets through? You wouldn't want to waste money would you :wink:
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Yeah, got to love people who identify most with hating something, rather than loving it, to the point of identifying with people who probably don't distinguish between England and Scotland, and if they did, wouldn't care.
  • Wallace1492
    anyone-but-england-t-shirt-kelly-green--762-p.gif
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    First time I've seen a typing stammer :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    with a frantic recovery.... :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Stevo_666
    edited June 2010
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Yeah, got to love people who identify most with hating something, rather than loving it, to the point of identifying with people who probably don't distinguish between England and Scotland, and if they did, wouldn't care.
    in which case they should be stocking up on USA team kit as (a) they play England in 10 days time and (b) they usually can't make the Jock/Sassenach* distinction

*(I'm part Scottish myself)
  • kelsen wrote:
    Hey UndercoverElephant, is the BeOne a semi-compact frame? A 53cm would be small right?

Hi there. I'm not sure if it is, it's quite traditional in its geometry, to be honest. Mine is the 59cm, it has a 58.5 cm top-tube, I would say that's a large. Working backwards, I would expect the 56 to be medium, and 53 to be small.

I love my BeOne.
  • Wallace1492
    First time I've seen a typing stammer :D
    8) oops... sorted now....
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    kelsen wrote:

Hi there. I'm not sure if it is, it's quite traditional in its geometry, to be honest. Mine is the 59cm, it has a 58.5 cm top-tube, I would say that's a large. Working backwards, I would expect the 56 to be medium, and 53 to be small.

I love my BeOne.

Thanks for the info!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to wait until the group stages are over and see if your second choice team gets through? You wouldn't want to waste money would you :wink:

What would a Scot know about the 2nd phase of a tournament.

Scotland always get back home before the postcards.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Wow the hatred in this forum is astounding! and to think, I like scotland enough to get married there :cry:
  • Wallace1492
    spen666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

What would a Scot know about the 2nd phase of a tournament.

Scotland always get back home before the postcards.

True Spen, we go out all to early, usually in a blaze of glorious failure. However, these days we cannot even get that, as we cannot qualify for anything.

I will be on Easter Island viewing an eclipse on the day of the World Cup final. and am hoping that Chile will be in the final. The atmosphere on the most remote island in the world if their national team was in the final would be amazing.
  • Wallace1492
    Kiblams wrote:
    Wow the hatred in this forum is astounding! and to think, I like scotland enough to get married there :cry:

Hatred? I see no hatred.... I see good natured banter, i see jelousey from Scotland that we will not be at the table, that we are not good enough... I see the 44 years of torture that scots have suffered by being reminded of Englands triumph in 1966, but pleaaaase no hatred at all.
  • spen666

True Spen, we go out all to early, usually in a blaze of glorious failure. However, these days we cannot even get that, as we cannot qualify for anything.

I will be on Easter Island viewing an eclipse on the day of the World Cup final. and am hoping that Chile will be in the final. The atmosphere on the most remote island in the world if their national team was in the final would be amazing.

It is sad to see how far Scotland have fallen from England in footballing terms since the 70s/ 80s

Since really about the Spanish World Cup in 1982 Scotland have fallen away. Is it a co incidence that the Home Internationals ended around this time.

PS Who that saw it can ever forget that Archie Gemmill goal in 1978?

Twittering @spen_666
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    Spen did something really bad happen to you in Scotland?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    Kiblams wrote:
    I am seriously considering attaching at least one England flag to my pannier rack to show support of the football team, am I alone in this?

No, you are not. But mine won't be England's though.... :)
  • spen666

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

What makes you say that?

I've sympathy with Scots at how far their team has fallen away in recent years as I posted.

Also as I posted in earlier post- Scotland have never got beyond group stage in any major tournament. In fact they have gone out in finals in group stage more than any other nation

Twittering @spen_666
  • Wallace1492
    spen666 wrote:

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

What makes you say that?

I've sympathy with Scots at how far their team has fallen away in recent years as I posted.

Also as I posted in earlier post- Scotland have never got beyond group stage in any major tournament. In fact they have gone out in finals in group stage more than any other nation

Spen is welcome up here anytime, the worst that will happen to him is a hangover and being eaten alive by midges....
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    The great thing about the world cup is that whenever it is the England team is about to be knocked out the roads are nice and empty for a couple of hours

Great time to get a few miles in
  • spen666

Spen is welcome up here anytime, the worst that will happen to him is a hangover and being eaten alive by midges....

The midges never ate me last summer doing LEJoG, but I did manage to eat a few of them :)

Twittering @spen_666