Biking Holliday Insurance

tegwin
tegwin Posts: 78
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I am planning a trip to Chamonix and Morzine in a few weeks time.. will be ace to be back there again!

Can anyone recomend some travel insurance that covers mountain biking? I know a lot of the "normal" ones, dont include any extreme sports.... I dont consider mountain biking extreme... but I bet the inusreres do!

Looking for good value for money IE.. cheap! :D

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Dogtag and I think Snowcard? I can't actually remember who I've booked mine with. Snowsomething :oops:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    If in chamonix I would also get the local mountain rescue insurancy thing, not sure what it is called, might be the above mentioned snow card.

Anyway, you want it in addition to your normal cover, trust me.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I've used Dogtag a few times, had to make a claim from them last year.

All pretty easy to deal with, good service all in all.

They great for covering you for medical stuff after doing extreme stuff, but they have really low insurance for loss / theft etc so you might prefer to take a 'normal' policy out as well.

NB - Dogtag cover 'mountain biking' in their lowest risk policy AKA the cheapest one, BUT downhill / freeride is in their highest level and there isn't (or wasn't) a note on the 'mountain biking' bit to tell you, you'll need the higher cover for certain trails.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    snowcard for me.

Deffo need insurance otherwise a helicopter medevac will cost you summat like fifteen gee if it all goes wrong out on the mountains (and it happens to the best of them)
    FCN = 4
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    I use Columbus and they have prety wide cover for active and 'dangerous' sports - like skiing :roll: . Maybe worth checking out their policy to see how much bike cover you get.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I used Dogtag. Very comprehensive, and they have absolutely no qualms about DH mountain biking (which most insurance firms do, if you read the small print)
  • gb2gw
    gb2gw Posts: 81
    We've always used these guys whenever we've been to the Alps

http://insurance.essentialtravel.co.uk/

Their level 2 option covers mountain biking and although we've (thankfully!) never had to claim (touch wood we won't have to this year either) they seem pretty comprehensive and are reasonably priced.
  • Luke-Dob
    Luke-Dob Posts: 121
    I used Dogtag. Very comprehensive, and they have absolutely no qualms about DH mountain biking (which most insurance firms do, if you read the small print)

+1 for DogTag.

£42 for Max coverage including the Extreme sport option (needed for DH riding). A lot cheaper than I thought!
    "If I Was Falling, YOU BETTER FREAKING CATCH ME!!!"
    6 years riding bikes, 8 broken bones, gravity can be a b**ch
    http://dobby.pinkbike.com/album/My-Bikes-D/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    aye, most of the companies that included MTBing on their list, didn't actually cover "etreme" or DH mountain biking, in the small print. So if you were going for an XC tour, great, but for tearing down lift assisted DH runs, you'd be straight out of luck.