Route Advice Wanted Gloucester (Brockworth) to Reading

el_vino
el_vino Posts: 64
A group of us are planning to cycle from Brockworth on the edge of Gloucester to Reading after work one evening. To encourage as many people as possible I'm trying to work out a route which does not take us up either the A417 to the Air Balloon or the steep Witcombe Hill to Birdlip.

Does any one have any suggestions perhaps via Cheltenham or indeed any other route which doesn't add on a huge amount of distance?

thanks
EV

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    You have to climb off of the Severn Valley at some point and most seem to go straight up the escarpment. Without going hugely off route, I think you're kind of stuck with it.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • beatsystem
    beatsystem Posts: 118
    why not leave cheltenham on the A40 oxford road
  • el_vino
    el_vino Posts: 64
    Might check the A40 out this week and see what traffic levels are like
    thanks
  • janessimon
    janessimon Posts: 16
    from Burford to witney there is a great minor road just north of the a40, it goes along the windrush valley
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Avoid the A40 it's not for riding. Once you've peaked Birdlip (as a reference) go SE across country. Bibury, Coln St Aldwyn, Hatherop, Eastleach, Broughton Poggs, Langford, Graftont, Radcott, Littleworth, Hatford, Charney Bassett, East Hanney, Steventon, Rowstock, Upton, Blewbury, Streatley, Goring, Goring Heath, Chazey Heath, Caversham, Reading. Takes you through the Thames gap in the Downs. It rolls all the way. I've done club runs Wantage to Bibury on fixed so it's not murder. A417 Rowstock to Streatley can be busy but you should be post rush hour by there. Three climbs but short and better than crossing the downs diagonally Wantage to Theale
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed