Climbing tips for the sizeable gentleman

2»

Comments

• Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    I think being smooth is key to stopping the rear wheel spinning and the whoel thing going tits up. if you un-seat and are bouncing on each side then the wheel is going to spin if you can do it as smoothly as possible then it won't. When you initially stand up don't go nuts on your movement and then when the bikes speeded up a bit you can go a bit nuts'er (no such word I know) as it'll be harder to spin the wheels.

As for keeping the front end down, just lean on it.
  • wesk
    wesk Posts: 131
    Have been reading this thread with interest. I ride a Trek 6700 so pretty racy, very good climbing but with the now shorter (75mm) stem that I've fitted, I'm having some problems keeping the front wheel on the ground on some long, steep climbs. I thought last night I'd try out bar ends again (yes I know, on riser bars...) and the result? Actually worse whilst sitting down, less control and the front end still lifted. Stending up - really good - I'd foregotten how good they were for sprinting up climbs. However, since the majority of climbs around here are around .5 - 1.5 miles long, there's simply not that much sprinting done (well at least by me!) so back to just risers and better technique!

Oh, and good balance when the rear wheel spins (which it will) is the key for me. Lots of track stand practice in my past helps here.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Don't try and sprint short steep climbs and smash the pedal into a rock. You stop very quickly, then fall backwards down the hill tangled in the bike.

Not that I have any recent experience of this, naturally...
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    Have a chilled six-pack of beer waiting at the top, works for me!

If no six-pack available then -
    1. make sure you're in a suitable gear BEFORE reaching the climb
    2. carry as much momentum as possible (if its a short/sharp one it'll be over in no time)
    3. once on the climb - maintain a smooth spinning cadence
    4. arse on the nose of the saddle
    5. thumbs on top of the bar, elbows in and your heavy noggin should be over the bars
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    Frowson wrote:
    Hill's are a metal thing, great for training but never rush them as i've even killed a few locally and threw up at the top going too fast!

Mate of mine did that once. He insisted it was to do with the beer he'd had the night before but we weren't buying it!

I guess most us guys get carried away haha
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    hi Frowson, that's my neck of the woods. I think the one you are describing is known locally as 'Happy Valley'.

As for climbing tips, weight forward. I take it you are on a hardtail if your rear wheel is spinning when you are out of the saddle so keep your ar&e on the saddle but shift to the nose of the saddle and lean forward onto the bars.

However that is quite a tough hill so lots of practice helps too.

Here's a recent video wot i shot. Doesn't feature that climb but you may recognise some of the trails.

Box Hill or Bust
    FCN = 4
  • Frowson
    Frowson Posts: 17
    Went out this morning on my own as usual riding buddy was running a half marathon down in Peacehaven. Therefore had to ride to our usual starting point at top of Reigate Hill, meaning two climbs to negotiate. I completed both (without stopping) by incorporating some of the tips given here and am now feeling very proud of myself. Just proof that its fundamentally a mental thing as I seem to get disheartened by being left behind whereas when I'm on my own there doesn't seem to be a problem!
    Thanks to all for the tips, and I'm in no doubt that practise will make perfect!
  • bike-a-swan
    Ah, this gets more interesting. I probably know the climbs you're talking about now, although maybe not by the same names- happy valley to me is in caterham!

MTB-idle, those are some nice clips of some of my favourite bits of local routes. Quick question- I'm not sure where the one that starts at about 1:00 and keeps popping back in is. My brain says the drop off the back of box hill, which is certainly where the video ends, but I couldn't pick any one section from the rest of it that I could say with absolute certainty was there. Don't know it so well, I was only shown it last summer and being back at uni this year I don't get to ride at home as much as I'd like. Am I right?
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Hi Bike-a-Swan,

Only just seen your question. Yes, it is at the back of Box Hill. We call it 'China Pig' (no idea where the name came from). It's a really long, flowing descent that starts near the Smith & Western grill place and brings you out onto Headley Road.

I think that is the one you are referring to. full video of the trail here (not my video)

China Pig
    FCN = 4
  • bike-a-swan
    China pig, that's it! I knew it had a name. An absolute corker- I just couldn't quite pin it one particular bit down as it for certain. Cheers!
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    watch this bloke , then get a 29er..................
    Don't think, BE:
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    ooopppps
    http://vimeo.com/11782596 :roll:
    Don't think, BE:
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    RealMan wrote:
    agg25 wrote:
    If you don't have clip in pedals these can make a big difference as you're not just pushing down in bursts which can cause slippage, you get to use all your leg muscles too not just the quads.

+1. Although I'm sure someone who knows all about physics will be along to disagree.
    This only works when you are sat down - you can push down the same, but you can also pull up, pressing your arse into the seat.

As soon as you stand up, you lose this advantage...
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • bike-a-swan
    Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

(edit- got a little over enthusiastic on the caps :oops: )