CTC Plastic bike Bags on planes

jc4lab
jc4lab Posts: 554
edited June 2010 in Tour & expedition
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mc/cycle/7/CTC/ ... Soft_Cases
What are your experiences of using these bags with Different airlines..Scheduled and Charter,Ryanir,Easijet etc.?Seem like a good cheap option if they accept them..
jc

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Very good experience on Easyjet from Bristol to Pisa; no problems (pedals removed, bars turned, bag sealed with duct tape, and a large zip tie to take up the excess). The bikes were stood up on the baggage trolleys to and from the aircraft, and at Pisa baggage collection, two handlers brought the bikes out to us personally.

On the return flight the woman at the oversize luggage check-in asked me to deflate the tyres, I said it wasn't necessary, and she accepted that :)
  • may i ask, if the bag closes by itself (zip) or do you have to tape it shut? i'm looking for something dirt cheap like this to keep a second bike on the balcony while i don't need it... would this work? you can't really tell from the pictures :(
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    janwayne69 wrote:
    may i ask, if the bag closes by itself (zip) or do you have to tape it shut? i'm looking for something dirt cheap like this to keep a second bike on the balcony while i don't need it... would this work? you can't really tell from the pictures :(
    Its just a large plastic bag, no closure, duck tape works fine, for flying I just used a cable tie in addition to take out the "bagginess" - excess flopy bag bits, so there was no catching on stuff.