Keys cut for Abus bike lock?

ichabod
ichabod Posts: 78
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
I have oine of these Abus chain locks: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Abus_ ... 300006181/

It only came with two keys which I thought was pretty tight for a £50 lock :evil: Anyway, I have lost one and am looking to get one cut but can't find any locksmith that can do it. Does anyone know of one in London? Or will I have to fork out even more cash to Abus?

Thanks!

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I think you contact Abus with the code from the little card that came with the lock... check out Abus' website, I seem to recall it's on there.
  • ichabod
    oh dear.. the chances of me still having that card two years after buying the lock are near zero :(
  • discurio
    discurio Posts: 118
    ichabod wrote:
    It only came with two keys which I thought was pretty tight for a £50 lock :evil: !

how many keys do you get with a £15k car???

LiT is right about having to go back to abus with the code unfortunately if you have indeed lost the code. or whoever it is that supplies them to wiggle.
    I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    discurio wrote:
    ...how many keys do you get with a £15k car???

I only got two with my last car, but with the immobiliser & remote operation electronics they are far from cheap.

OTOH, I got three or four with the Kryptonite D-lock I bought recently... including one with a light to help find the keyhole in the dark. I thought this a nice touch, though I don't use that key because it's bigger than the others...

Cheers,
    W.
  • ichabod
    Two bike locks I bought more recently came with 4 or 5 keys each.. so yes I reckon 2 is very stingy!
  • djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    Hello, You can get a machine that creates key blanks if you can’t get the correct blank or abus want too much for a key.

Not sure what locksmiths in London have this machine. Maybe trade places that supply locksmiths might have this machine and might cut you a blank and cut the key to open the lock.

djrock
  • emdeef
    emdeef Posts: 98
    I have one of these. The key has a code number stamped on it. I did not find a card or anything else in the packaging, so maybe this code is what you need.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I asked Zyro about the cost of a replacement key for my lock but have yet to commit to buying the spare. They did give me some prices though, not sure of the relevance they are to your lock.

Plus & X-Plus are £6.99 SRP

Dimple Keys (Currently come with Millennio Phantom & Sinus 46) £4.99 SRP

All others (Wafer and Pin Keys) £4.99 SRP
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • f.g
    f.g Posts: 1
    I got an abus key cut the other day. the place to go is 'keys galore' on Gloucester Avenue, north west london, it's off primrose hill, just between primrose hill and chalk farm. cost me ~£10.

a friend doing a key cutting course recommended it to me, apparently they can cut pretty much anything there.