Calling all ladies! (and folding bike users)

Aguila
Aguila Posts: 622
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I've finally pursuaded my mrs to start riding to work after doing a trial run along the almost completely road free 8 miles at the weekend. She will be getting a folding bike to go in the boot of the car so she can drive the first 5 miles then bike into town.

So....

any girls recommend girl specific shorts/jerseys etc, or do you just buy the boy stuff too.

Also bike shortlist is probably either the dawes ace or mezzo d9. Owners of these with feedback please let me know, plus alternatives. She's going for some test rides next week.

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Folding-wise Bromptons are best but whatever fits in the boot and she feels comfortable riding and putting in the boot is good.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    and the best girl cycle clothing website by a country mile is Minx
    http://www.minx-girl.com/
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Most of my cycling garb is from my running wardrobe :) . My everyday cycling shorts are from Lidl/Aldi with my 'best' one currently, from Specialized. I had an Altura shorts but found that too thin padding-wise.

Congrats to the Missus. When's she joining BR? 8)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited June 2010
    Don't buy boy stuff!

Unless your wife is boy-shaped, by which I mean hips narrower than shoulders etc, it won't fit her.

I go for bib shorts, always, because they're so much more comfortable than normal ones, but I can see that might be a bit of a leap for someone new to biking! I can heartily recommend the Campy bodyshorts, if you can persuade her. If she's slimmer than me, the Shutt ones are good, as are their jerseys.

However, for me, the best women's gear has to be Northwave, every time.

I have to say, I don't really rate minx girl, they're often the most expensive option but good for ideas. For example they've got a 'cycling dress' on there at the moment that is just an empire line dress with an elasticated waistband. For £95. You could obtain same in H&M for about £20. Or, they have Sugoi HOV trews for £65, wiggle have them for £58.50, pre-discount. But, as I say, good for ideas.

http://cyclechic.co.uk/index.htm is in the same vein, very good for luggage.
  • The Airnimal bikes may be worth adding to the list of bike options
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    Northwave for me, for bike clothing.

I love the Minx website, but I find their stuff doesn't fit me very well (I'm too short for it.)

I also prefer 3/4s to shorts - Sugar Knickers are brilliant.

Wiggle have a decent selection of women's cycle clothing. I also really like the Fat Birds Don't Fly website - I love these shirts.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    edited June 2010
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Folding-wise Bromptons are best but whatever fits in the boot and she feels comfortable riding and putting in the boot is good.

+1. Go see the very helpful chaps at Fudges on Harrow Road. Bromptons, Dahons,Giant Halfways, all in stock ready to be seen and tested....I'm not knocking the Dawes or the Mezzo- the latter in particular is excellent- but your shortlist is a bit short. And as CP says, for foldability nothing beats a Brommie.

Edit: And +1 for the Airnimals as well. Excellent machines.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    CometGirl wrote:

I love the Minx website, but I find their stuff doesn't fit me very well (I'm too short for it.)

Wiggle have a decent selection of women's cycle clothing. I also really like the Fat Birds Don't Fly website - I love these shirts.

Agreed re fatbirds. They're also lovely, lovely people if you pick up the 'phone to them.
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl wrote:

Agreed re fatbirds. They're also lovely, lovely people if you pick up the 'phone to them.

Might not be the right time to introduce them to the OP's OH though:

"Darling, I'm so pleased you're cycling to work that I bought you a Fat Birds shirt!"

*outrage*
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Just out of interest Aguila, how did you persuade your other half to get into cycling? I have been trying to get Mrs RJS on two wheels for years now, without any success.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Do you need cycling specific clothing for a 3 mile ride (8 mile trip, driving first 5 miles) into work? Depending on what her line of work is she may not want to ride into work in her work clothing, but it does seem a bit much to get a new wardrobe for such a short trip.

But then again I'm the sort of person who refuses to ride my road bike unless I'm in lycra, no matter how short a trip!
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • CometGirl
    She'll need the cycling specific clothing for when she realises that driving the first 5 miles is a total PITA and decides just to ride it...
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    rjsterry wrote:
    Just out of interest Aguila, how did you persuade your other half to get into cycling? I have been trying to get Mrs RJS on two wheels for years now, without any success.

She would love to get some decent exercise but finding the time with our 2 nippers makes this v tricky. I've sold it on the "part of your normal day" so finding time not an issue basis. Plus she's about to move place of work to somewhere that driving involves an infuriating amount of stop/start queueing.

that plus the cycle route involves some rather nice river side well maitained cycle path.

@Finbar, the route is drive then about 7-8 miles of cycling, total about 12 miles. Hence thinking riding in work stuff not comfortable.

thanks for the replies to date, will prob add a brompton to the list. They seem a bit pricy mind and our work place has suspended the C2W scheme.
  • rjsterry
    I've tried that approach, and it has been met with a "yes, but...". To be fair, at the moment, she has virtually all her time taken up with looking after our 10 month old, and in any case she is lucky enough to work from home, so no commute. Once the littl'un is old enough, I will have to set them up with a bike + child seat for pootling to the shops/toddler group/etc.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Bromptons are pricey, but they do hold their value well compared to other bikes, which might count in its favour.
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    For commutes of that distance I just wear some baggy shorts and a cycle jersey. But then I don't know how comfortable/uncomfortable the stock brompton saddle is for women. I have women specific (performance) saddles on all my bikes as that has made the biggest difference to my enjoyment and comfort on the bikes. For longer rides I like pearl izumi lycra shorts the best and jerseys I like castelli, northwave and girodana. DHB is also alright and cheap but the material seem very thin so summer use only.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    MMmmmm girls.....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    That post was just waiting to happen wasn't it. I'm surprised you managed to hold off for so long :wink:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    HeeHee. I actually did a facepalm just now
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:

I was just googling a suitable pic.. this will do

facepalm_statue.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • claash
    claash Posts: 145
    Cycling shorts are a must from day one..... otherwise the pain will be too great n she will quit. I tended to wear baggies or a dress/skort over mine as I didn't like going in to the office just in lycra...... (But I do work in a very male environment!) .... have got over the embarrassment now tho!

ALSO don't forget her luggage/bag situation....... She will need to take her handbag contents ;0)) I can recommend Patagonia... they do a cute handbag/courier bag, But for my clothes n stuff I swear by my paniers makes life loads easier.

I think that is the key: make the ride as easy as possible for her to begin with, then she will get the bug ;0))

I :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    otherwise the pain will be too great n she will quit.

My girlfriend didn't quit, in fact she came back for more. However, I'm not talking about cycling....

Couldn't resist!

:lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • JonGinge wrote:
    +1
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor