Tougher than Winnats?

rdt
rdt Posts: 869
I descended the Dirtlow Rake to Castleton back road yesterday and it had me wondering: is it a tougher climb than Winnats? Anyone climbed it?

What I'm calling Dirtlow Rake is up on Bradwell Moor, above the quarry next to the cement works, and on the road that goes from the centre of Castleton straight up towards Little Hucklow. Maybe the road is known by a proper name? It's always been completely empty on the few occasions I've been down it, unlike the frequently M25-like Winnats, but I've not had the "good fortune" to ride up it so far so was wondering how it compared to Winnats or Mam Nick...

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've climbed both and Winnats is the tougher climb IMO. I haven't climbed Winnats for a couple of years though - Mam Nick is much more pleasant.
    More problems but still living....
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    FWIW, I've found hills are much easier to get up than I think they are if I've descended them. Not sure why this is, but I've gone down some hills that I've thought I'd struggle up on the way back, only to try them out and find them not too bad.

Maybe there's a gradient perception equivalent of the doppler effect going on or something. :D
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    FWIW, I've found hills are much easier to get down than up :oops:
  • rdt
    ketsbaia wrote:
    FWIW, I've found hills are much easier to get up than I think they are if I've descended them. Not sure why this is, but I've gone down some hills that I've thought I'd struggle up on the way back, only to try them out and find them not too bad.

Maybe there's a gradient perception equivalent of the doppler effect going on or something. :D

Definitely noticed the same myself.

amaferanga wrote:
    I've climbed both and Winnats is the tougher climb IMO. I haven't climbed Winnats for a couple of years though - Mam Nick is much more pleasant.

Yep, Winnats is ruined by traffic unless you're there first thing so I go up Mam Nick instead.

I'll hopefully give the other one, whatever it's called, a bash in the next few weeks. Cheers.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    ketsbaia wrote:
    FWIW, I've found hills are much easier to get up than I think they are if I've descended them.

I've noticed this too and reckon it's to do with weight-distribution. When you go down a hill, your centre of gravity is towards the front of the bike which feels unnatural (unsafe when it gets really steep) and therefore makes hills feel steeper.

Of course, you should shift your weight to make sure it's more or less over the bottom bracket, but that's another matter.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Saddle height is part of the equation too...
  • MartinJ
    MartinJ Posts: 104
    I rode up the Dirtlow Rake road on Monday. IMO it's nowhere near as hard as Winnats. The first part through the trees is suddenly very steep (up to 20%), then it levels out a little, then there is a steep part before the road bends around to the right. After that it is steadier as you cross the moor. In comparision Winnats is just very steep all the way up (so I never go that way unless its part of an organised route).

I also rode up Mam Nick on Monday - I think that is harder than Dirtlow Rake - though I had done another 50 mile by then!

Dirtlow Rake is a good climb and if you continue past Little Hucklow and then turn left (sign posted Windmill) you gey a great fast descent down Bradwell Dale. Then you can have a go at Winnats or Man Nick for comparison!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    MartinJ wrote:
    The first part through the trees is suddenly very steep (up to 20%),

what gear are you in to do a 20%?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • MartinJ
    MartinJ Posts: 104
    MartinJ wrote:
    The first part through the trees is suddenly very steep (up to 20%),

what gear are you in to do a 20%?

34x27 for me to get up steep hills!
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    rdt wrote:
    I descended the Dirtlow Rake to Castleton back road yesterday and it had me wondering: is it a tougher climb than Winnats? Anyone climbed it?

What I'm calling Dirtlow Rake is up on Bradwell Moor, above the quarry next to the cement works, and on the road that goes from the centre of Castleton straight up towards Little Hucklow. Maybe the road is known by a proper name? It's always been completely empty on the few occasions I've been down it, unlike the frequently M25-like Winnats, but I've not had the "good fortune" to ride up it so far so was wondering how it compared to Winnats or Mam Nick...

Climbed it a few times, dont particularly like it, a bit draggy after the bend when you come out of the trees. Not as hard as Mam Nick, and I wouldnt ride up Winnats for a gold pig, too busy and unpleasant.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    I got off 3/4 of the way up Winnats a few weeks ago :oops:
    Was on a 39x27 and had done a few miles beforehand is my excuse.
    Don't think a compact would have helped either, just got me 3/4 up slower.
    Very steep, narrow and no bends of easier bits to help you up it.
    I'll be back again though :twisted:
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    Done it on a 12/25 a couple of times, but its hard. Hardest thing I've done I think. My parents live in the Peak District and I've found a good time to go is early evening - say 7pm. No-one about.
  • rdt
    I went up the Dirtlow Rake road yesterday. Its bark was worse than its bite, in line with ketsbaia's observation. Quite a nice climb, especially as there's virtually no cars on it.