Two Bike Logistics

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Well, for the first time in my life I've got two serviceable bikes, my posh one and my older commuter (I've got an older crapper one to but that's just for local trips, not commuting).

But boy, if I thought the logistics for one bike was hard enough I had my first taste of two bike logistics today when I chose not to ride clean posh bike home because it was raining.

Now, I thought, if I've got a bike at home and a bike at work I can get the tube home say, but still ride in in the morning (an option not open to me before).

It took me 20 minutes to work out what to do.

Didn't want to wear trousers home cos I'll end up with one pair at work, couldn't wear shoes or I end up with no pairs at work, lucky had spare jeans and trainers at work.

However, nearly forget my tyre lever, puncture kit and multi tool before I left, all wrapped up in my saddle bag, and I was half way home before I realised my bib shorts and gloves were at work.

Will have to take second lock in tomorrow so I can lock both bikes up, but I need it tomorrow night so I've got to lug it back 12 miles across town. Will also have to wear horrible lycra shorts that have been sitting in bottom of wash basket for what must be a year now (if I can catch them).

All that and my posh new bike is 12 miles away so I can't look at it when I walk past it to the kitchen.

Wonder how long it's going to take me to get this right?

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    You need a new bike

That'll sort you out
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    You need a new bike

That'll sort you out

Another one?

That'd be three!

That does mean I could do this:

In on bike

Home on tube

In on bike

Home on tube

In on bike

But I'd be quickly taking up all the cycle rack space.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    I fitted a front axle to the pannier rack of my tourer. If I need to get an extra bike home I clamp the front forks onto the back of the rack, fix straps from the handlebars to the rack or saddle to stabilise the bike and stick the front wheel on my backpack. Works like a tag-a-long.

..or you can use a car.

Cheers,
    W.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    I always used to commute in on a Brompton, but since getting a bigger wheeled bike, my Brompton has fallen into disuse. This morning I rode it the 11 miles into work as I unexpectedly had to get the train last night. Bloody hell it was terrifying :-) My newer bike has brakes, my (very old) Brompton just seems to have some sort of homeopathic memory of brakes.

And now I have two bikes in the office. Bugger.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    WesternWay wrote:
    I always used to commute in on a Brompton, but since getting a bigger wheeled bike, my Brompton has fallen into disuse. This morning I rode it the 11 miles into work as I unexpectedly had to get the train last night. Bloody hell it was terrifying :-) My newer bike has brakes, my (very old) Brompton just seems to have some sort of homeopathic memory of brakes.

And now I have two bikes in the office. Bugger.

Surely you just fold up the Brompton & carry it home on the other bike?

Cheers,
    W.