My Team Carbon + upgrades

Cycling is Forever
Cycling is Forever Posts: 210
edited June 2010 in Your road bikes
Wasn't going to post a picture considering my bike is the standard black Team Carbon and there are so many beautiful bikes posted in this section.
But here goes!
4660833090_38f3bf8014_b.jpg
4660355691_2c24ce236b_b.jpg

Standard Boardman Team Carbon with following changes/upgrades.
Stem flipped/raised for comfort.
Brake Pads: Kool Stops
Chain: KMC X10SL
Wheelset: Easton EA90 SL
Cassette: Shimano 10 Spd Ultegra 6700
Tube: Continental Race Supersonic Inner Tube
Tyres: MICHELIN Pro 3 Race
Pedals: Look KEO Classic

Accessories:
Cateye V3 Triple Wireless Computer
Boardman Carbon Cage
Lezyne Road Drive Mini Pump
Crud Roadracer not shown

4660960538_e3d5a58eb7_b.jpg
First impressions of the EA90SL are superb! Light fast and bumps are cushioned so much better than the original wheels.
Must say that the Kool Stops are truly the best upgrade by far. Braking performance is 5 fold improvement.

Only after 100 odd miles.
What has been said about MICHELIN Pro 3 Race Tyres cutting up easily appears to be true! :cry:
4660321895_0448014fda_b.jpg

8)
CiF

Comments

• friso
    friso Posts: 107
    Hi

Nice bike, I also have a Boardman Team Carbon

I like the bike but have had to upgrade parts to suit me

Although the frame size is spot on i have replaced the bars to a wider 44cm Ritchey pro logic II and i also have flipped the stem for comfort, i also use Keos

I have replaced the crappy wheels with Easton Tempest 2's which has helped no end although i am also in the process of getting a pair of 38mm Carbon Clinchers for racing

Thanks for the heads up on the pads as i get through pads qucikly with doing hilly sportives. Also for the this reason i have fitted a Sram 11-28 cassette

As for tyres, general concenses is that they are prone for punctures and cutting up. I have tried all sorts but found the specialized s-works are a great alrounder, although this is down to personal preference and useage

It's a good bike but i still get the bike snobs tutting and shaking their heads at events

Cheers Friso
  • sam1176uk
    sam1176uk Posts: 524
    Do you have a link to the brake pads you bought?

Nice bike :D
  • friso wrote:
    Hi

Nice bike, I also have a Boardman Team Carbon

As for tyres, general concenses is that they are prone for punctures and cutting up. I have tried all sorts but found the specialized s-works are a great alrounder, although this is down to personal preference and useage

It's a good bike but i still get the bike snobs tutting and shaking their heads at events

Cheers Friso

Thanks Friso for the nice comment, I haven't had any snobs tutting [at me] or the bike. But I don't do any events. But if anyone did I'd tell them to F off :wink:
    My aim for road cycling is to improve my fitness. It is a slow slog!

Re: sam1176uk

I got my brake pads & holders from here:
    http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP5993.aspx?utm_source%3dinternal%26utm_medium%3d5%26utm_campaign%3dDDI

You could just get the pads also
    http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP3109.aspx?utm_source%3dinternal%26utm_medium%3d5%26utm_campaign%3dDDI

At the moment I'm using the dual compound pads.

Cheers

CiF
  • sam1176uk
    Thanks do you need the holders as well or just the pads? It says the holders are Dura ace, 105 and Ultegra compatible, do they def fit?
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Nice bike - I do like those Boardman.
  • sam1176uk wrote:
    Thanks do you need the holders as well or just the pads? It says the holders are Dura ace, 105 and Ultegra compatible, do they def fit?

I just bought the pads in the holders they def fit on the boardman team carbon brakes.
    You get a dual compound and Salmon pads.

if u only need one type of pad then you should be able fit it in the existing holder.

do a search plenty written about kool stops

CiF
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Good for you mate. Nice bike.

Saw a Boardman out my way with yellow bar tape to match the graphics. Have to say, and a lot will baulk at this, it looked stunning.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • friso
    friso Posts: 107
    Yeah, i feel like telling them to f#*k off also

I think with a few sensible personal upgrades the Boardman Team Carbon is as good as any other bike double the money

I have been looking at changing it but i would have to spend £3k plus to really notice any difference

I would love the full Pro model with the Sram Red and Zipps but that will have to wait

Keep up the exersise and before you know it you will be hooked on sportives

Friso
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i dont agree with the assesment of the ritchey wheels. with properly tensioned spokes mine are solid and true for 850 miles and dont look like going wavey. theyre not the lightest but are solid other than that i think they have an unfair reputation. not the wheels but a build mishap.
  • sam1176uk
    Yes rake i took mine into my lbs as the spokes were creaking and the guy said they were nowhere near tight enough, he has tensioned them properly and sice then they have been spot on.
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    friso wrote:
    I would love the full Pro model with the Sram Red and Zipps but that will have to wait

You wouldn't regret it, I love mine to bits.

Love my Team Carbon too, you've made a great choice, enjoy it!
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Snap on the wheels :D

Great bike aint it! aim super impressed with mine. Not had anyone making a snobbish comment on it yet, if they do, bigger the fool them as it is a dam good bike!
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    crackin bike, cant see why anyone would look down there noses at them
    who cares?
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    Nice rig mate.... 8)
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • A blatant bump! :wink:
    rake wrote:
    i dont agree with the assesment of the ritchey wheels. with properly tensioned spokes mine are solid and true for 850 miles and dont look like going wavey. theyre not the lightest but are solid other than that i think they have an unfair reputation. not the wheels but a build mishap.

The ritchey are decent wheels used them for over a year and will keep them for foul weather winter time.
    Got the spokes trued & tightened and have been OK!
    The ritchey wheels are little on the heavy side so EA90 SL win hands down.
    One picture regarding of interest is the small stress like cracks in the rim on the ritchey wheels.

4680244534_018cc0d304_b.jpg

A little unnerving?
  • Oh! and thanks for the nice comments!

CiF
  • thinbo
    thinbo Posts: 93
    looks really good! considering one of these as my next bike (unfortunately that'll have to wait a while)

I notice you use a cateye V3. How do you find it? I'm currently after a wireless computer that does cadence and heart rate in one and this seems to fit the bill. I like the idea of the combined sensor but does it work well in practice?
    CUBE Agree GTC Pro '10
    Giant Defy 2 '09
  • Thinbo wrote:
    I notice you use a cateye V3. How do you find it? I'm currently after a wireless computer that does cadence and heart rate in one and this seems to fit the bill. I like the idea of the combined sensor but does it work well in practice?

First Computer and first wireless also. But so far all working fine & reliable.
    I haven't experienced any lost of signal
    I don't know how accurate it is but Cateye have been doing cycle computers along while so consider them trustworthy.
    V3 is expensive but got mine when ribble were doing a discount deal so it worked out about £85 - 90.

You can also run another transmitter on 2nd bike but it is more £££.