8/1 Lance Armstrong
14/1 Bradley Wiggins
20/1 Ivan Basso
20/1 Robert Gesink
20/1 Alejandro Valverde
20/1 Denis Menchov
20/1 Cadel Evans
25/1 Michael Rasmussen

I thought these people employed experts to come up with this stuff?

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Cadel is looking a better offer than Valverde I'd say
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Be interesting to see the odds from other countries bookies.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Betfair looks more realistic.

8/11 Alberto Contador
    10/1 Andy Schleck
    15/1 Lance Armstrong
    22/1 Ivan Basso
    22/1 Cadel Evans
    27/1 Bradley Wiggins
    35/1 Denis Menchov
    50/1 Robert Gesink
    60/1 Roman Kreuziger
    60/1 Carlos Sastre
    70/1 Michael Rogers

Hard to see where the value is. Contador is a strong favourite, but deserves to be. Andy
    hasn't hit much form this year, so odds a bit short for me. Will probably go Kreuziger for
    a bit of interest.
    exercise.png
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Worth a pop on Andy Schleck. One spill can change the race completely.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Look at them as each way bets. Divide the odds by 4 - and try and figure out who will come second. A more realistic way to make money.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Ivan Basso - 20/1, really? After his performance at the Giro, I bet to differ ....
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Gesink at 50/1 looks reasonable for an outside bet - he looked strong at the Vuelta but had bad luck, if he manages to stay on his bike I reckon he'll be top 5 and the early stages in the Netherlands might suit him.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    MatHammond wrote:
    Gesink at 50/1 looks reasonable for an outside bet - he looked strong at the Vuelta but had bad luck, if he manages to stay on his bike I reckon he'll be top 5 and the early stages in the Netherlands might suit him.

That's an extremely big if.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Given Andy's knee, and Cadel and Basso's really tough giro, a couple of quid each, each way on Kreuz, Gesink and Menchov might pay moderate dividends.

I'm still 8) following my 8/1 shot that Arroyo would top 6 the Giro!

Strava is not Zen.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Is Basso riding the Tour?
    I figured they had Kreuziger and Nibali (who was a late replacement for the Giro).
    exercise.png
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Basso was always down to ride the Tour this year. So was Nibali, but now he might do the Vuelta instead.
  • JoeBond
    JoeBond Posts: 20
    my money is on the Chicken
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    JoeBond wrote:

I might just put mine in a suitcase and throw it into the Thames.

So same as you really.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    That was what I was getting at. Why have William Hill got the chicken pegged as the person tenth most likely to win the TDF?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    ju5t1n wrote:
    That was what I was getting at. Why have William Hill got the chicken pegged as the person tenth most likely to win the TDF?

Well, it doesn't hurt them if they quote odds that are too short, does it? So they probably don't care.

Strava is not Zen.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,821
    dulldave wrote:
    Worth a pop on Andy Schleck. One spill can change the race completely.

yeah but its liable to be him
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Pokerface wrote:
    Look at them as each way bets. Divide the odds by 4 - and try and figure out who will come second. A more realistic way to make money.

Can you actually get each way bets, and if so what placing does it go down to?
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Pokerface wrote:

Can you actually get each way bets, and if so what placing does it go down to?

Generally quarter odds for the rider to finish in the top three, but it varies from bookie to bookie.

I've got an each way bet on Menchov at 40/1 I think (placed a few weeks ago). Saw he was ill the other day, but still reckon he's got a good chance of finishing third.
  • All the odds here

http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports ... win-market

you can get 22's on Evans 25's Wiggo 66's Nibali
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ivan Basso - 20/1, really? After his performance at the Giro, I bet to differ ....

He'll feel the Giro come week 3 of the Tour, and Contador, as long as he eats, is unbeatable over 3 weeks.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229
    Gesink for an E/W bet would seem pretty good.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    JoeBond wrote:
    How are they giving him odds? He's not riding is he, unless I'm missing the point somehow?