passportes; what do I need to know?

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I'm planning on driving down to the Alps in the school summer hols with a mate to do the big lift accessed loop out there. But I've confused myself and hoped I could get some help planning from you guys...
Portes du soleil = what?
Passportes = que?
Megavalanche = the big race event held over the same lifts

As I understand it, I'll need a lift pass and the route down the mountain is fairly obvious, to the next lift. Is the whole thing one big loop so I'd end up back where I started and thus my car? is it a 75Km circular? Where is the best place to start from?

Oh and should I buy lift passes right away?

Comments

• Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Wow, sounds like you;ve got yourself properly confused!!

Passporte du Soliel is on 26 and 27 June and is a kind of opening weekend for the biking lifts. It has a 'station' in around 7 different towns/villages. All will provide some kind of food and entertainment, some will have bike festivals and shows on. You can start for any of these. Might be best not to start from the host place as it can be very busy when the lifts open. Website for Passportes:

http://www.passportesdusoleil.com/index ... SERLANG=en

The Mega is a race. It's in a different place (around Alp d'huez or however it's spelt!). It is a bit more hardcore and next on my holiday list!!

If you enter the Passportes your lift entry is covered for that day. You can buy lift passes for any dates through the summer and it will be quieter away from 26/27 June.

Not sure if 'd do the Passportes again. It was good but there is so much to explore around there a planned route is not required. That said the feed station at Chatell had some of the best food (sausages especially) I've ever tasted!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    you sir may very well be a life saver!
    I'm planning on doing the loop that ties in the major places, and by the looks of things each venue, such as Morzine has much more to offer than just part of the passportes loop. Any advice on how to get the best riding the are has to offer?
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    It is easier than you are thinking to find great riding. We stayed in Morzine and did the Passportes the first two days. After that we just worked our way around and did various tracks.

With the ease of the lifts it doesn't really matter if you hit a trail you didn't like (not likely to happen tbh, we didn't find a single one we never enjoyed) you can be back at the top to try the next one in an hour.

You could spend weeks around the Morzine area without getting bored. Unless you want to see a huge amount of the area it may be best to pick a place per day and base yourself around there. Means you'll do certain trails and see others heading off that you want to explore. Also gives you the chance to try things you missed first time!

We stayed at a mtb chalet so the owners gave us good pointers but I'd be more than confident turning up with no advice and finding my way around.

Always seemed to be plenty of other bikers there to offer advice.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike