Valverde - Four years to justice?

plowmar
plowmar Posts: 1,032
edited June 2010 in Pro race
The Court for Arbitration for Sport has ruled that the Spaniard would be stripped of all his wins since January 2010.
They said that there was evidence that a DNA sample linked Valverde to a blood bag from 2006, that was believed to contain EPO. (Independent today).

Why so long?

If not certain re EPO is this good enough for due process?

DNA match does that mean only Valverde could use it - what if he was a universal donor, and has been set up?

What about results 2006 - 2010, don't they believe he was doing then only this year?

Not trying to defend him - if he has done it never mind two years out for good - but there does appear to be a few doubts which should go in his favour.

Comments

• jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    For me although it is likely he has cheated throughout his career you cannot increase his ban on speculation.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    plowmar wrote:
    but there does appear to be a few doubts which should go in his favour.
    His blood containing EPO was found in a dodgy fanny-doctor's fridge and was linked to him by DNA match.

What doubts are you having exactly?
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Bronzie wrote:
    plowmar wrote:
    His blood containing EPO was found in a dodgy fanny-doctor's fridge and was linked to him by DNA match.

+1
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Bronzie wrote:
    plowmar wrote:

You said it better than I could have!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    plowmar wrote:
    The Court for Arbitration for Sport has ruled that the Spaniard would be stripped of all his wins since January 2010.
    They said that there was evidence that a DNA sample linked Valverde to a blood bag from 2006, that was believed to contain EPO. (Independent today).

Why so long?

If not certain re EPO is this good enough for due process?

DNA match does that mean only Valverde could use it - what if he was a universal donor, and has been set up?

What about results 2006 - 2010, don't they believe he was doing then only this year?

Not trying to defend him - if he has done it never mind two years out for good - but there does appear to be a few doubts which should go in his favour.

DNA match means it was his blood. It's not a blood TYPE match but a match to his specific blood. And the only way to get the EPO into his blood was for him to have it in his system at the time it was extracted from his body.

The whole process took so long due to complicated legal wranglings and appeals by Valverde. And that the Spanish courts blocked a lot of the process.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The Spanish federation blocked a lot here. I'm curious as to why there's been no mention of them as the case at the CAS was brought against Valverde AND the Spanish federation.
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    Valverde has a two year ban as he has been found guilty. One thing I am unsure on though is whether he will be unable to sign for a protour team after that for another 2 years. Anyone know?
    I think he has been doping longer than has been proved but to investigate any further would cost a colossal amount without the likelihood of uncovering more evidence. The Spanish federation, in my view, should receive some punishment (what I don't know) for their attempts to pervert the course of justice.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    petejuk wrote:
    One thing I am unsure on though is whether he will be unable to sign for a protour team after that for another 2 years. Anyone know?

Didn't stop Basso or Vino
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    That was a code put in place by the teams but Bruyneel broke it when trying to sign Basso, then Liquigas quit the AIGCP grouping so it could sign Basso. In other words, it doesn't exist any more.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    edited June 2010
    some other period-2 years. He is only really getting a one year ban...the guy has racked up something like 30 or 40 races days since January at Tour Down Under...all the top pros will be winding down their seasons in 7 weeks time...so really valv piti has a 1 year ban as he's already been given half a season in 2010...he should be banned to June 1st 2012
  • plowmar
    Just coming back on the blood thing, and medics will correct me, but if he was a universal donor then his blood could be given to any one not just him. He then may have been complicit but necessarily doing the drugs himself - I know but all I was looking at was the alternative reasons (doubts) and wether they should have any bearing

I wasn't talking about increasing an already given ban but wether the ban should have been different initially.
  • Bronzie
    plowmar wrote:
    Just coming back on the blood thing, and medics will correct me, but if he was a universal donor then his blood could be given to any one not just him. He then may have been complicit but necessarily doing the drugs himself - I know but all I was looking at was the alternative reasons (doubts) and wether they should have any bearing
    I'm no medic, but I've never heard of a "universal donor". Where did you get the idea that he could be selling his blood for the benefit of others?

Besides, it's already been pointed out that the EPO in the blood couldn't have been added after the blood was drawn. The EPO had to be already in his body when the blood was drawn.

Telling that Valverde has never argued that it wasn't his blood, or that he only intended to dope but never got round to it.

His only defense was that the Italian authorities had no jurisdiction to hand him a ban as they should not have been given the evidence (his blood bag) in the first place.
  • plowmar
    As far as I understand it a universal donor is someone whose blood plasma can be transfused into any other person irrespective of blood group.

Perhaps I've played devils advocate on this one and really I just would like to know the feelings out there for longer / permanent bans, especially if we all want a clean sport.

Would the new passports have been able to reveal wether or not he had doped?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Universal donor is 'O' type blood I think. (As opposed to A or B).

Even IF he had received blood from someone else that had doped - the EPO would not show up in it. It wouldn't be measurable.

No way to 'stitch him up' as you're implying.
  • Bronzie
    plowmar wrote:
    Would the new passports have been able to reveal wether or not he had doped?
    Possibly not, according to the information provided by Landis and Thomas Frei.

However, I suspect the way things were done back in 2006 would have to be revised somewhat to avoid triggering the current bio-passport system.