north west scotland natural and man made routes

nomadicbry
nomadicbry Posts: 223
edited June 2010 in Routes
Hi All,

Planning trip north with my son to do a wee of mountian biking (XC). we were considering 7 stanes but these are an hour or two from us and thus are much easier to visit anytime while a trip north is much harder to pull off

Want to mix man made with natural. Thinking of Fort Bill XC, and Laggan to begin the week.

ANy suggestions both natural and man made?

My son is also finding his road legs any roadies on here recommend a road ride for us in teh area with few cars... he's only 13

Cheers
Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...

Comments

• Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Not sure how far North you want to venture but I was amazed at how good Golspie was. Only got round it once but it's fighting in the top 3 centres I've ridden in Scotland (along with Kirroughtree and Inners).
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • nomadicbry
    nomadicbry Posts: 223
    yeah was considering Golspie, could make it a stop on the way to Assynt / torridon etc

Basicaly aiming Fort Bill then north and west so basically the big corner of scotland on the north west

Anyone done coast to cpast from Bonar Bridge to Ullapool?
    I've driven it and it was an amazing road but never ridden a bike there... I hear it's relatively (in terms of the Highlands rather than Holland) flat

Was also thinking of perhaps cycling the single track to the foot of Suilven in Assynt then climb it... back down and cycle back to Lochinver... again quite flat but great single track and quite unique scenery... the area is my favourite part of Scotland
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • Wayupnorth
    Wayupnorth Posts: 40
    Just 25 minutes from excellent Golspie you will find man-made routes at Carbisdale (red) and across the road at Balblair (black). Not tried the Black yet, but will do in July :-)

If you are looking for a natural trail, the Arkle loop appears to be worth looking at - another one I would like to do later this year whilst there is 20+ hours of daylight. Handy to have that daylight if you get lost...

The road route from Bonar Bridge through to Ullapool is pretty tame - with mind-boggling scenery in dry weather.

Please let us know what you find!