road / mtb helmet ....

merlie
merlie Posts: 276
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
Coming from the MTB ... is it ok to use my helemt on the road bike ? I
I've just established that I can use mtb spuds on a road bike and that my camalbak is no good on my road bike .. what about my helmet ?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    You can use your Camelback on a road bike. It may not be as comfortable though. No reason not to try it if you want.
    If you are a slower rider then a good MTB helmet may even be better as they are designed to be cooler at lower speeds.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    MTB helmet often just means it has a peak (which can be a pain on a road bike at speed so better to take it off, can also get in the way of looking ahead when on the drops). Some MTB helmets can be heavier to if they have additional rear padding. But basically no reason not to use one on the road.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Wear whatever you want. I've got an MTB helmet although I took the peak off years ago. The only consideration with back packs is the size. On a road bike your head will tend to be tilted further back cos of a lower riding position. You may have issues with the back of your helmet hitting the bag. You should think about getting bib shorts purely for the comfort aspect.
  • John.T
    nferrar wrote:
    MTB helmet often just means it has a peak (which can be a pain on a road bike at speed so better to take it off, can also get in the way of looking ahead when on the drops). Some MTB helmets can be heavier to if they have additional rear padding. But basically no reason not to use one on the road.
    I do not use the peak on my Giro Pneumo and Spec Propero except when it is raining. They are a great help in keeping my specs clean.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yup, I have spuds and an mtb helmet on my road bike. The peak is handy for keeping the rain out of my eyes, and in the winter helps shield me from dazzling oncoming headlights. Bit of a pain in the neck (literally) if I'm in the drops for any length of time cos I'm craning my neck upwards to see the road ahead.
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    Well you live and learn, apart from full face Down hill MTB helmets of course, I never realised that there were specific MTB helmets despite some helmets such as Specialized being provided with detachable plastic peaks :shock: .
  • John.T
    Cheaper helmets are not specific but the more expensive ones have the vents optimised for MTB or road use. MTB usually have bigger vents on the top to let heat rise out while road ones draw air out of the back.
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    John.T wrote:
    MTB usually have bigger vents on the top to let heat rise out while road ones draw air out of the back.

Been cycling since 1988 and never heard of that or seen it mentioned in any of the manufacturer's blurb. :oops: So do the massive vents on my new spanking Giro Ionos helmet mean it is MTB specific? :wink:
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Here's a list of things you can transfer from your MTB life to your Road life (I'm slightly drugged up and bouncing around like a loon atm). It may sound a little sarcastic but it's not meant to be :D

MTB Pedals/shoes - they're fine on a road bike. Some say they're too floppy but I've had no problems.

Helmet - it's a helmet, it does the job.

Saddle - Oh yes, if you have a comfy saddle you want to transfer you shouldn't have a problem.

Computer - Most bike computers allow for both MTB and Road, even smaller wheel sizes too. You'll just have to change the diametre of the wheel on the 'puter. Hope you kept that manual!

My baggies!!11one - Yep, no problems at all. Do not be disuaded by nay-sayers. Sure half the lucra clad road cyclists will see you as devil spawn but look on the bright side you look cooler! Make sure they have padding, and if not get some with padding! Your softbits will thank you.

If you want to there is no reason why you couldn't get road specific gear at a later date; but it's not the be-all and end-all. Enjoy what you have for now and cross-grade later.

[/list]
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    I have recently bought a small Hydropak (Flume) specifically for road use. It's 1.5litre fluid capacity & 1litre equipment. I barely notice I'm wearing it.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse