Yet another puncture :(

wasi1984
wasi1984 Posts: 37
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
Thats 2 in the space of a week.

Only had the bike 2 weeks and had 6 rides on it :(

Might sound a silly question but is there ANYTHING I can do to get them a little less frequent??

Tyres/ rims etc???

Comments

• Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    Could just be bad luck...

Depends on condition and make up of roads, tyres & importantly pressures, your riding style etc.

How much road turbulence (sounds better than potholes) have you got where you ride ?

1967 Engine
  • matt-sport
    matt-sport Posts: 39
    could be the type of tyres you are using, if they are crap and thin that could be the problem.
    what tyres are they?
    what pressure you running in them?
    what type of puncture's you getting? e.g small hole, really small hole

need a bit more info to be able to help you!!! :lol::lol::lol:

or could just be bad luck!!! 8) 8)
  • wasi1984
    Im only just getting back into riding mate after a long absence so im only doing between 6-12 mile rides at a time.

Road conditions are generally quite good, just seemed to go straight down after a fast descent :(
  • wasi1984
    Tyres are..... Kenda Kriterium, 700x25mm , they came with the bike obviously.

Not sure of psi, Will have a look, thanks.

Just seem a really small hole :?
  • potters1863
    potters1863 Posts: 111
    I went for 6 months without any punctures, then started to get a few within a short space of time.

Have swapped both my tyres for the Specialized Roubaix Armadillo Elite, which are supposed to be very puncture risistant.

Very happy with them up to now, the road resistance is much improved with less drag, they are comfortable and appear to grip well when cornering.

Only used them in the dry up to now but I'm very pleased with them. A bit of a pig to get on the wheel but if they last without problems then that is a price well worth paying.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Change your tyres...
    I use Continental GatorSkins, and so far (touch wood) never had one p*ncture! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Alinshearah
    Alinshearah Posts: 339
    hopper1 wrote:
    Change your tyres...
    I use Continental GatorSkins, and so far (touch wood) never had one p*ncture! :wink:

+1 for the conti's
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Armadillos are good, Gatorskins are good, I rode with Stelvios and they were pretty good too. Whatever you ride, you will probably get a visit from the fairy every now and then, but look for a decent priced, puncture protected tyre.

Also - to help with the changing, I can rec the Lezyne road drive pump if you want a small pump for the bike - it has made getting P***tures less painful for me...
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have a Lezyne Road Drive, too... Unused :wink:

Nothing like tempting fate, is there!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Michelin Krylions or Schwalbe Stelvio Plus work for me.

There are heavier duty options that I would use for commuting where the weight and ride quality wasn't as important.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • rapid_uphill
    rapid_uphill Posts: 841
    Check the inside of the tyre, it might have a thorn or something sticking through. which will cause a puncture everytime you pump it up.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    + 3 or 4 - change your tyres. They never put good tyres on ready built bikes imo.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Have a thorough check round the inside of the tyre, looking for anything that could be sticking through. I had a sequence of flats earlier thsi year which I eventually traced to the tiniest bit of flint stuck in the tyre. It wasn't visible from the outside and couldn't be felt by the usual method of running fingertips round the inside, but when the tube was fully inflated (to 110psi) and I was out of the saddle giving it some, this slither of stone kept doing the deed. After the fourth flat I found it by eyeballing the inside of the tyre in brilliant sunshine, and eventually spotted the little bleeder.

The other thing worth checking is the inner rim tape that sits in the rim. Does this have any edges or rough bits sticking up? I had another sequence of apparently untraceable flats that I cured by sticking small bits of gaffer tape over any rough edges and since then haven't been the victim of unscheduled deflations.

The best cure though is keeping the pressure high enough - as stated, 110 psi is the norm for 23c road tyres, and watch where you're going. Obvious, but if you spot shards of glass, stones near potholes, debris from hedge cuttings etc, try to avoid them.
  • wasi1984
    Thanks for the advice people.

Going to give these 1 more chance, if not then ill go for a pair of conti's I think. :)
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    hopper1 wrote:
    Change your tyres...

+1 for the conti's

Another +1 for the gator skins....had them since about june last year and they are still pretty good....no punctures.... I have a small gash in the tyre where I have gone over glass or something but it has only damaged the surface rubber and not gone through the rest of the tyre.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think the real key is to find out whats causing them. As others have said - check the tyres. I always check the tube to see where the leak is and then relate that to the tyre/wheel. If you dont do this bit - then you will get the puncture repeated.

Very very rarely will the inner tube just go of its own accord.

I use Conti GP4000S run at about 95PSI and they are fantastic. Best tyres ever - 4 summers now they've gone without you know whatting.

<touches wood>