Germany south to north

jonnyv
jonnyv Posts: 85
edited June 2010 in Tour & expedition
I'm thinking about a trip in the summer, getting down by train or plane to the south of Germany and then heading north to Hamburg. I'd like to see something of the Alps- so maybe start in somewhere like Innsbruck? - and then after that any practical route, I'm fairly ignorant of the most scenic/interesting parts.

Any advice from anyone who's done a similar trip would be gratefully received.

And on getting the bike there in the first place - I've never taken a bike on a plane, I've read all the advice on bags, boxes etc, but does it apply to a touring bike with mudguards and carriers?

Thanks.

Comments

• cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    This might give you some ideas...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=R ... =6622&v=FZ

Graham
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    I've toured in Germany, and it's truly excellent. If you want to go south(ish) to North, try the Elbe route which goes from Dresden (neaqrest big city) near the Czech border to Hamburg. I've done half of it, from Berlin to Dresden (though Berlin's not on the route) and much as the old East German side of the ride is a bit rougher than pristine western germany, it's certainly interesting, and in some ways more less straight laced than Western Germany. Of course getting there from Insbruck is a bit of a haul.
    You could try going up through the Black Forest, but then you'd have to segue across country to hit the Elbe.
    Another way of doing it might be to go from Insbruck up to Lake constance, then double back along the Bodensee Koenigsee radweg, which skirts the alps but doesn;t go through them, so pretty flat, to somewhere like Bad Tolz, then up the Isar route to Munich, then up the Romantic Road, then join up with the Elbe radweg and up to Hamburg.
    As for flying with bikes. You should have no problems with touring bikes. In the past I used to disassemble them and bag them, now I just turn the handlebars, remove pedals, and put them in the big, clear CTC bags. It really is easier, and the plus side is the plastic bag can be folded and carried with you.

Hope that's a help.
  • Flavio
    Flavio Posts: 15
    Other ideas are in the website of my tours, HERE.

If you like Alps, I suggest you to start in Trento. From there, follow the wonderful Adige Cycle Path, wich is like an expressway for cyclists, directly to the Resia Pass. Then you can choose if going East (Inn river, Innsbruck and so on), or North (Via Claudia Augusta, Munich etc.) or West (Lake Constance and Rhine to North Sea).

If you choose the third and like to ride with companions, you could consider also our tour, starting in July. Seats available :)
    (all free abviously, we are not an agency operator!)

I always crossed Germany from S to N, and found it perfect for biking.