Why!!

jellybellywmb
jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
edited May 2010 in The bottom bracket
When racing cant people take their rubbish home :evil:

On part of my route today from Melton to Belvior (Approx 10 mile stretch) the verges were littered with hundreds gel wrappers, stick em back in your jerseys you bloody idiots!! it takes one extra move. Take out gel, open gel, consume gel, put empty back in your jersey the empty wrapper really wont affect your chance of winning.

Thanks for the water bottles though ,you really must have too much money to throw away brand new bottles.

I just fail to understand why you would throw these away, is it a weight thing ?? but surely if you have carried a full bottle most of the race then an empty one really wont affect your time that much or is it because you have see the pro's do it that you think it looks cool
"BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy

Comments

• nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    When racing cant people take their rubbish home :evil:

On part of my route today from Melton to Belvior (Approx 10 mile stretch) the verges were littered with hundreds gel wrappers, stick em back in your jerseys you bloody idiots!! it takes one extra move. Take out gel, open gel, consume gel, put empty back in your jersey the empty wrapper really wont affect your chance of winning.

Thanks for the water bottles though ,you really must have too much money to throw away brand new bottles.

I just fail to understand why you would throw these away, is it a weight thing ?? but surely if you have carried a full bottle most of the race then an empty one really wont affect your time that much or is it because you have see the pro's do it that you think it looks cool

That course is used a lot for proper races though isn't it?
    The British Uni road race championships was there a couple of weeks ago (i raced it).

I chucked a bottle at the side of the road near a feed mid-race so that I could pick another bottle up. You can't carry everything. I DID go back for it though after the race was finished.

I agree people shouldn't litter, but there is often a reason for chucking bottles to the side. But they should go clear them up after.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • jellybellywmb
    Proper or ameteur, no excuse! either riders should be responsible for own mess or organisers should pay for clean up of the route.

What gives anyone the right to litter the countryside?? proper racer or ordinary man on a bike!
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    They probably think it makes them look more professional if they just sling their bottle to the side like the pros.

Snake

My Library
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Been on a training ride in the heart of the beautiful Brecon Beacons where my mate decided to chuck a gel on the road. I'd rather have it in my pocket then dumped there, god damn. Can't teach some people.

One thing that annoys me is that I often end up with one or more little bits of gel wrapper in my mouth when trying to bite off the tab. I'm OCD about taking my crap home with me and it's really easy to lose those little bits when trying to put them in a pocket.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Proper or ameteur, no excuse! either riders should be responsible for own mess or organisers should pay for clean up of the route.

What gives anyone the right to litter the countryside?? proper racer or ordinary man on a bike!
    totally agree - WE pick up so much litter from the side of the road around our house - RED BULL drinkers seems to be the most prolific and the very worst!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • stratcat
    stratcat Posts: 160
    no reason for it

selfish

:evil: :evil:
  • BMX Bear
    BMX Bear Posts: 198
    It's simple, gels & bars in my right pocket, unwrap, consume, empty wrapper in left pocket.
    Get home, empty rubbish out of pocket, job done.
    www.icenivelo.co.uk - Norfolks most inclusive cycling club
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Gels do set rock solid in your pocket though... :wink:

I've left several bottles by the side of the road, generally by accident when they've bounced out of my bottle cage though. I'm too tight to part with them otherwise. Oh and on the Marmotte I ditched one for logistical purposes, but I made sure it was by some speccies, firstly so I'd look cool and secondly so somebody would pick it up. On the same ride I ditched my casquette halway up teh Alpe cos i'd seen Pantani do it. :lol:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    sounds like crits at merryfield, ilton will be cancelled sooner or later for the same reason. I would say its a minority but I've witnessed it for myself o know that sadly its not. why people eat gels and sweets in short races baffles me anyway
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    snakehips wrote:
    They probably think it makes them look more professional if they just sling their bottle to the side like the pros.

Snake

My Library

What are you meant to do with them in an 80 mile road race?
    Team cars are too far back, and we didn't have many domestiques.

Sure afterwards go tidy up, and do it at feeds so they don't end up everywhere, but it's a legitimate activity.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Makes me wonder about the pro races sometimes. They do say that they come round after the stage and clean up, but you see riders chucking the bottles down cliff faces and into bushes. I'd be surprised if they have a team of abseilers just to clear the rubbish off the valley floor.

Should really have rubbish zones after the feed zone and at the bottom of climbs. Would set a better example too. At least until manufacturers can come with fast biodegradable packaging.
  • jellybellywmb
    nolf wrote:
    snakehips wrote:

Snake

My Library

What are you meant to do with them in an 80 mile road race?
    Team cars are too far back, and we didn't have many domestiques.

Sure afterwards go tidy up, and do it at feeds so they don't end up everywhere, but it's a legitimate activity.

Littering is a legitamate activity?? as far as I was aware its actaully illegal and if seen you could be fined, no better than the man in the strett who throws his fag packet on the pavement or scum that throw a Mcdonalds wrapper out of the car window.

Take them home!!
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    Why? Because there is no public education on litter in the UK.

Does anyone recall a long term advert campaign on telly, a radio jingle, a PR
    campaign at a public event, something one might remember and
    pass on to their kids, etc. ?

Exactly, because unlike other countries there never has been a credible
    anti-litter campaign in the UK, and as a result we turn our public spaces into
    rubbish dumps.