ghosting

Dunk_911
Dunk_911 Posts: 239
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.

I got my first full susser (second hand) earlier this year and since it has been built up i have so much trouble with the gears ghosting that it is not true. Its not that I cant set up a derailleur because all of my other bikes are fine.

Ill talk you through my tale of woe. I realised that the chain and cassette were old so i changed them after the first ride and it didnt get much better. I made sure all of the cables and shifters were ok too. so i had a closer look and found that where the rear dropout is bolted on to the frame one of the holes had cracked open from where the guy who had it before me had over tightened it so I got that welded and re drilled the hole, hanger goes back in and its still doing it so i look more closely at the hanger and it looks ever so slightly bent so i get a new one. Its still doing it and im running out of ideas!

I can only think of two remaining possibilities (and they seem long shots);

1) Theres a slightly worn bearing on the suspension which could be allowing the stay to move around and thus shifting the gears.

2) The deraileur is slightly bent.

I have taken some pictures in case you can see any possible problems that i may have missed.

4653587670_1af27b6ac3_b.jpg

4653588256_be2e589e0d_b.jpg

4652970465_bbd8241b72_b.jpg

Please let me know if i have missed any thing that i should have tried.

Thanks

Dunk

Comments