Just done first ride bit of advice please

moffmcewan
moffmcewan Posts: 83
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
Just done 15 miles on first ride with first ever road bike. Got a real sore neck trying to look forward all the time. If I move my handlebars up will this help relieve this or will I just get used to it? I noticed my seat sits approx inch or 2 above my bars.

Comments

• KillerMetre
    KillerMetre Posts: 199
    Just a matter of letting your body adapt to an unusual position.Dont start altering your position yet give it time.
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    Can be the bar hight but more likely the reach (Length from your saddle tip to the back of the bars). Bar height is more about lower back flexibility. Maybe try sliding your saddle forward a cm if this is possible.

There is a good online fit calculator here that should give you a good starting point to find the right set-up which you can adjust to personal preference and flexibility. Just get someone else to measure you - it is impossible to do it yourself accurately.

Oh and you will of course get used to it more over time but it is best to get the right starting point first so that you don't inflict misery on yourself and end up heating your bike.

Hope it helps and your pain goes away.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • moffmcewan
    thanks for the advice, just been on the online fit calculator and bugged my wife for 20 mins to help me and the results make no sense to me whatsoever so still at square 1. as much as i know the position will be foreign to me i didnt think it'd be so difficult to look ahead and hurt my neck as much
  • Sean1504
    Sean1504 Posts: 101
    I was in the same position as you a couple of weeks ago. I found a hot bath and some ibuprofen sorted out the immediate pain and on my subsequent rides it's gradually worn off even though i've been riding in the drops a lot more. Think it's just a case of letting your body get used to it.
  • moffmcewan
    hanks sean just wanted to know it was normal, i feel fine just my neck trying to look up, will stick with it for few more miles :)
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Were you on the drops a lot? If so use the hoods more.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • moffmcewan
    hardly touched the drops at all, 95% hoods as just getting used to my new bike but had to fit myself to it as the shop never done anything apart from put the pedals on i bought
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Try a shorter or more upright stem until you get used to the bike. You might just be able to turn your existing stem upside down to raise the bars a bit.

You might also find a few stretching exercises help.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You'll get used to it.