Somewhat of a beginner

markpotts147
markpotts147 Posts: 100
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
I have had bikes in general in the past but I'm wanting to take it a bit more seriously now and am looking at a buying a road bike.

I have no idea what I'm looking at spec wise and could use some advice. I'm looking around the £800 mark but don't mind spending a bit extra if it means I'm going to get more value for money. Any other beginner advice would be appreciated.

Also, don't know if this makes a difference but I'm 6' 4" and around 17 stone.

Cheers,
Mark

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi mate.

Check out the sticky 'What Road Bike?' thread in road buying advice for starters.

My best advice would be to try all the local shops in your area, get a feel for one which you think will give you the best service and you feel you can trust. Also try what bikes they have to offer.

A good local bike shop (lbs) is worth it's weight in gold...
  • I'm in the same boat at the moment mate, it seems to depend what type of riding you are looking to do, I know for me I've been trying to decide between a pure road bike, a commuter and something that can handle a bit of off road as well; a Cyclocross.
    For the £800 mark I've found the Specialized Allez Elite and Giant Defy 2 to be quite nicely specced and not too aggressive from a riding position point of view but they are pure road bikes.